🐈
» Forums » Coffee Break » Re: Life is Beautiful and I’m still working!
Page options
fahim_ul_k
Community Member

Life is Beautiful and I’m still working!

Hi Everyone,
I wanna share with you one beautiful things!

Since 2012 I cannot stand up. I have a disease name "Duchene Muscular Dystrophy" which disabled me and put me to bed. I was want to do something always.

One day in a social media group I have seen about freelancing. Then I learn all about of freelancing via google, youtube, and some professional freelancers.
I became a freelancer. Again from social media group, I have know about the Upwork. I didn't even want to bother because l applied, bid and hope on many online platforms for designers which are based on competition among designers. I hoped to won a job for small amount of money.

So I give it a last try to online freelance. I created Upwork account and It was approved within 12 hours, which I enjoy the most to do. Honestly, didn't believed.

But, on the second day, I received an order after 3 proposals! 
I was thrilled because someone is looking just for me! In fact, I was so thrilled that I delivered a design within 1 hour!
2 days ago I became Top Rated (within only 3 months) and I am so proud that I'm still usable! Yes, we all need a money, but in my case, money isn't a thing that makes me happy.

I feel happy and I found myself again. Love You Upwork.

Greetings To Everyone
Fahim

ACCEPTED SOLUTION
barada00
Community Member

Hello Fahim, Thank you for sharing your experience. After reading your post I checked your profile. It looks nice but I will have a suggestion for your portfolio. First 7 pages are all flyers and other work samples come after them. I don't think most clients would look at portfolio items past first couple of pages; especially when they are trying to choose a new freelancer to work with. Please check my Upwork profile. You can see there how I separated my work samples. It might be better for you too to spend some time and collect them in categories.

My best wishes for the new year.

b.

View solution in original post

31 REPLIES 31
barada00
Community Member

Hello Fahim, Thank you for sharing your experience. After reading your post I checked your profile. It looks nice but I will have a suggestion for your portfolio. First 7 pages are all flyers and other work samples come after them. I don't think most clients would look at portfolio items past first couple of pages; especially when they are trying to choose a new freelancer to work with. Please check my Upwork profile. You can see there how I separated my work samples. It might be better for you too to spend some time and collect them in categories.

My best wishes for the new year.

b.

Thanks for your suggestion. Smiley Very Happy

JoanneP

Hi Fahim,

Thank you for sharing your inspiring story. Keep up the good work!

~ Joanne
Upwork

Thank you so much for your reply. Keep me in your prayer. Smiley Happy

Thank you so much for sharing your personal story.  Wishing you continued success in the new year!

Thanks!

shehanfernando
Community Member

Thanks for sharing your story Fahim. You are truly an inspiration. Keep up the good work ma friend. Smiley Very Happy

Thank you!

rawansaifan93
Community Member

Dear Fahim,

You are indeed a marvellous inspiration! I have taken a glance at your profile and I can say it represents a clear evidence for that. I wish you maintain your positivity no matter how many obstacles and boundaries you are subject to encounter.

By the way, do not call yourself "still usable".. It has never been about physical abilities. There exist so many people out there around the world who are physically completely healthy yet provide no productivity, and are lazy, lacking determination, and mentally unenergetic. Always keep in mind that your physical conflicts will never overcome the other talents you have been gifted as long as you stay strong, confident, on the right track and resistant towards frustrating events.

Thank you for sharing your inspiring story with us. We indeed should have no excuse to back off and become inactive. wishing you all the best in your freelancing journey.

Kind regards,

Rawan

Thank you for your great comments. Also, pray for me so I cän keep my success. Smiley Happy

versailles
Community Member

Fahim, you have a brilliant profile. You, know what? Now it may be time to notch up your rates. You're good, go and get them!

-----------
"Where darkness shines like dazzling light"   —William Ashbless

Thanks for your comment. I will increase my rate day by day with developing my skills. You know what, I haven't any teacher to teach. I learned everything from youtube. I'm still learning. So I think my current rate is okay as my skill. By the way, main things are, all of my clients are come up with fixed price job so hourly rate doesn't affect. Smiley Very Happy

creativedigit
Community Member

Thank you for sharing your story, Fahim. I really hope there's light for recovery. You are a great example for people who give up on illness, especially us when we are feeling a bit down or stressed, that life goes on anyway and that nothing should stop us from pushing further regardless how hard our situation in life is.

Thank you!

m_terrazas
Community Member

All the luck of the world.
Much encouragement!!

Thanks...

Usable. Us - able. Us, as in we. Able, as in can do. Yes, You are ABLE. You are able to use your talents, your mind, your ABLENESS to get things done! You find yourself cloistered to a bed, but you are MORE ABLE than many people I know who have absolutely nothing wrong with them physically. AT all! Yet YOU are succeeding...at life! At putting yourself out there with those of us who have 2 legs to walk on, yet complain about all kinds of stupid things. YOU are an inspiration. YOU are gold! 

Young man (and I MAY call you that as I am old enough to be your mother), I applaud you.

Thank you so much. Smiley HappyHeart

iamchunchunchun
Community Member

Thank you for sharing your story! Wish you all the best!!!!

Thanks.

I would like to vote Fahim as the next "Featured Contributor".

abid_abir
Community Member

You are a star, my friend. And I mean it.  We normal people with everything lost all hope sometimes, can't have the daring to come forward, yet you are rising day by day. And I'm pretty sure you'll shine in life.

Best of luck to you mate. May Allah bless you.

Best wishes.

jithintv
Community Member

Dear Fahim,

True that! I have been dealing with similar muscular dystrophy and was looking for a purpose to move on. Yes, there is much more than the money that I needed too which made me start working and eventually I ended up working in Upwork. I have to tell you, Upwork, and the clients I have had here have been so generous.

The challenges kept me busy making me learn new things or tools daily and I'm still putting my best every day to learn something new.

It took me 5 months to get my top rated badge and It just made me feel exactly how you did 2 years back.

Happy to know, Upwork was, and still changing/saving lives 🙂 

abid_abir
Community Member

😞Fahim died in 2021. RIP friend.

Abid, that is so sad. I am very sorry for your loss. He was much too young to die. Can you tell us a bit more, or is it too painful? 

My sincere condolences to his family.  

Abid, I'm so sorry. He seemed to be a fighting person. My condolences to his family and to you as a friend of his.

I'm so sorry, Abid. Sending my deepest sympathies to Fahim's family and friends. 

I'm so greatful Fahim shared his story here several years ago. It has been and I'm sure it will continue to be a great inspiration to others.

~ Valeria
Upwork

Abid M wrote:

😞Fahim died in 2021. RIP friend.

I'm so sorry for your loss. I did not really get to know him much on the forum here, but reading his past posts, he seemed so optimistic and hopeful, and when one lives with a disease like DMD, that's hard to keep. Our community is diminished without him. 

AveryO
Community Manager
Community Manager

I'm so sorry for your loss, Abid. 💚

I am sure that he was such an inspiration to other people. May his soul rest in power!

~ Avery
Upwork
bilal1983
Community Member

Rest in peace!

mwiggenhorn
Community Member

I remember his initial post so well as it was such a breath of fresh air.  I am so sorry for your loss but he is free of pain and suffering and is at peace.  God bless.

Latest Articles
Learning Paths