🐈
» Forums » Coffee Break » Listening music while working
Page options
kadwadkar-pankaj
Community Member

Listening music while working

Most of us are plugged listening to some music most of the times when we work online. Does this actually distract you or work better for you? 

ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Netflix... and that's why I want to be in USA, or at least a country where I can legitimately watch my shows, without bothering torrent trackers. I would say watching a TV shows whilst doing some work might negatively impact your productivity, but music seems fine to blow off some steam and keep stress under control.

View solution in original post

25 REPLIES 25
screeler
Community Member

Depending on what I'm working on it can add to my productivity. Woman Happy

Pankaj, I listen to Gaana.com app on my smartphone. Great song choices, and its free too. Even if the volume is low, it helps me to keep smiling and be in a better mood. Overall, it only improves my productivity.

Mariska, you may want to give it a try as well. Its got some nice Indian music, as well as international tracks as well!!! Has more than 10 million songs 🙂

lysis10
Community Member

I watch Netflix while I work. I'm running out of shows though and it displeases me.

Netflix... and that's why I want to be in USA, or at least a country where I can legitimately watch my shows, without bothering torrent trackers. I would say watching a TV shows whilst doing some work might negatively impact your productivity, but music seems fine to blow off some steam and keep stress under control.

@Cristian-Adrian F wrote:

I have two monitors - 1 for work and 1 for Netflix. 🙂 

I tell ya, if you do 2 monitors you won't know how you've functioned until now. lol

I use two monitors for work and have a telly for watching things on - is that too old-fashioned now?  Man Frustrated

@Stephen B wrote:

I use two monitors for work and have a telly for watching things on - is that too old-fashioned now?  Man Frustrated

lol I'm building a new PC when Windows 10 comes out, and already got 3 monitors. So, third monitor is Netflix and 2 will be for work.

My TV is basically for gaming. I think if I watched real TV while I work, I'd be LOLing at Jerry Springer who I can't believe is still on today!

a_lipsey
Community Member

You're my spirit animal.

It's funny what pops out when you check freelancer pics. Why do they do it? 

tgstudio
Community Member

Listening to music is a must for me. I have found that it helps me to focus as well as helping me creatively. 

These are interesting things about music that you can recommend to me. 

**Edited for community guidelines**

jolash
Community Member

I might be wrong but I  think  more people would want to listen to music while working or studying.

Personally, I can't work in a place where silence is golden.

Music ( the kind you love) is more than golden. I  believe it increases productivity - which generates the gold.

rcvictorino
Community Member

As a writer, most times it helps. It's so dang quiet in my house I need the noise. I will say, however, that when the DJs start talking, I'm usually forced to mute them until the music returns, because I will be distracted. 

When I'm doing web design work, I could listen to/watch anything and not be distracted. 

scarletli
Community Member

I usually listen to music when I'm working too! Sometimes I'll listen some healing music for revision. I'm not sure if it works for me but it helpes me keep focus on my work. Just search 'focus music' then those will pop out!!!

Cathy L wrote:

I usually listen to music when I'm working too! Sometimes I'll listen some healing music for revision. I'm not sure if it works for me but it helpes me keep focus on my work. Just search 'focus music' then those will pop out!!!

- Knock, knock
- Who's there?
- Joseph C
- Joseph who?
- Joseph see what happens when it's too obvious.

-----------
"Where darkness shines like dazzling light"   —William Ashbless
tomzilla1
Community Member

It distracts me. I handle a lot of data and very technical stuff, so it might be different for someone in a different space.

I listen to music at all times. I would go crazy if I had to work in silence.

For those of you who like the radio, wyep in Pittsburgh is my favorite radio station. No ads, but the DJs do talk occasionally.

We should make a wacky Spotify collaborative playlist.

Usually. I find it can help my productivity a lot. When I am not listening to music I tend to waste a lot of my time on social media and what not. 

The choice of music ranges from Mozart, and Chopin to Queen, and The Sex Pistols.

adwhitten
Community Member

I do a lot of transcription work, so obviously I can't have music playing while I'm listening. But when I'm doing editing work chillhop streams on YouTube are a lifesaver!

timefighter11
Community Member

Pankaj K wrote:

Most of us are plugged listening to some music most of the times when we work online. Does this actually distract you or work better for you? 

It depends upon the nature of work. If the work needs more focus and attention to details then music definately distract the mind and make us less productive. If we are doing a predefined work like copying-pasting articles from one place to other, music adds lot of energy in this and don't let us bored. But music always work best for a person with Thanos' powers ! 

Music is so important for my workflow. I swear, I'd go crazy without it. Whilst proofreading or editing documents, it energizes my brain, and seems to heighten my thought processes.

Sadly, I can't listen to music while I'm transcribing or doing a translation from a video. There are also certain tasks where I need to use more brainpower, so I can't listen to music while doing those (such as a complex translation or a high-level technical article). I have a diploma in music from Trinity College London, which, although unrelated to my work field, has made me pretty sensitive to music. As in, I find myself analyzing the notes, creating melodic harmonies in my head, and thinking about the lyrics automatically. It becomes distracting when I'm working on the aforementioned higher level tasks. 

Sometimes I wish I was in data entry, so I could jam to my tunes all day. Then I see the average pay... Man Very Happy

re: "Sadly, I can't listen to music while I'm transcribing or doing a translation from a video."

LOL.

Of course not.

There are some types of work I can do while listening to music.

There are a very few types of work that I do I can listen to while listing to the radio (including talk radio).

And sometimes the work I do requires a level of concentration that means no music, no nothing else at all.

If I DO listen to music, I can assure you that it is real music, and not some of that junk the kids these days refer to as "music."

For the most part, real music was written in the 80s. Some real music was written before then. Maybe 5 songs since then can be counted as real music.

Preston H wrote:

re: "Sadly, I can't listen to music while I'm transcribing or doing a translation from a video."

LOL.

Of course not.

There are some types of work I can do while listening to music.

There are a very few types of work that I do I can listen to while listing to the radio (including talk radio).

And sometimes the work I do requires a level of concentration that means no music, no nothing else at all.

If I DO listen to music, I can assure you that it is real music, and not some of that junk the kids these days refer to as "music."

For the most part, real music was written in the 80s. Some real music was written before then. Maybe 5 songs since then can be counted as real music.

Hmm you look to be roughly my age. Wilco, Ryan Adams, Whiskeytown, old DMB, old Coldplay, Amos Lee, Sting, Jack Johnson, Jason Mraz, Eddie Vedder, Colin Hay, Glen Hansard, Jackie Greene, Jason Isbell, Tedeschi Trucks, Dr. Dog. Maybe we just have different tastes. 🙂

Actually, a few of those you can catch at Innings Fest.

I liked Sting in "Labyrinth."

Don't know any of the others.

Preston H wrote:

I liked Sting in "Labyrinth."

Don't know any of the others.

What did you like in the 80s and what few songs do you like since then? I was a new wave girl which I suspect is not your jam.

You can plug those songs into Pandora or Spotify and they'll recommend other music with similar "DNA."

Latest Articles
Learning Paths