Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Logic fails to prevail

Highlighted
Andrew B Member Since: Aug 9, 2015
1 of 23

Hello fellow freelancers,

I am new to this site and as such, my profile is under review. I receive an email about 30 minutes ago stating that my profile could not be approved and must be resubmitted due to my profile picture. The message said, **edited for Community Guidelines** (It did not contain any text, but was from about the waist up.)

The site should specify that requirement when uploading the photo. All it says is "Must be an actual picture of you! Logos, clip art, group pictures, and digitally-altered images not allowed." It is the same as my profile picture on LinkedIn. It was professionally taken and represents me and my passion for music. I seek to achieve a consistent image across my digital portfolio, as a good self-brander should. The administrators could have simply cropped it and saved themselves the time of writing this email to me as well as saved me time from replying and going to the website to crop it myself. Sadly, logic does not prevail in the world. 

Anyone else have a similar experience? What do the experienced users think of the site? Is it worth it? After reading through a couple of posts in this forum, I hope I don't have to walk on egg shells. 

Highlighted
Andrew B Member Since: Aug 9, 2015
2 of 23
After stating in their initial email, "## In replies all text above this line is added to the ticket ##" I responded and then receive an email with the following message (also with the reply instructions).

"Unfortunately, you have responded to an email that is not monitored, and therefore, we will not respond to this email."

Stellar logic, once again.
Highlighted
Community Guru
MERCY N Member Since: May 6, 2015
BEST ANSWER
3 of 23

Hi Andrew,

"... What do the experienced users think of the site? Is it worth it? ..."

Sorry about your disappointing welcome from Customer Support.

One thing I'll tell you is that none of the contractors here is experienced in working on Upwork. That said, I'll tell you this: If Upwork retains all the good things from Odesk and Elance where all the 'experienced' lot came from, the site is worth it. And it seems like they want to go that direction.

However, in your carrier bag do not forget to pack one thing: PATIENCE. That is what many of us have learnt to exercise since we realized that the system changes, testing and all that appertains to the merger are not in our hands. Have I had occasion to receive an unhelpful standard response from CS here at Upwork that left me wondering - really? Oh yes! And it's annoying, to say the least.

But I've also seen some of the things that I was disappointed about getting amended, albeit slowly. So, if you did something that CS or someone else could have done with a few clicks (on your photo), just shake your head (usually inevitable) and then take a deep breath. Then proceed to the main job arena. Finding clients who appreciate your work will help you ignore some of these transitional bumps.

All the best!

View solution in original post

Highlighted
Community Guru
Pandora H Member Since: May 11, 2010
4 of 23

@MERCY N wrote:

Hi Andrew,

"... What do the experienced users think of the site? Is it worth it? ..."

Sorry about your disappointing welcome from Customer Support.

One thing I'll tell you is that none of the contractors here is experienced in working on Upwork. That said, I'll tell you this: If Upwork retains all the good things from Odesk and Elance where all the 'experienced' lot came from, the site is worth it. And it seems like they want to go that direction.

<snip>

Mercy, I re-read what you typed in your reply 3 times, and feel I should clarify something..

There are several groups of Upwork freelancers present on the site right now.

1. Established freelancers who have been on Upwork for literally YEARS.

2. Established Elancer freelancers who have JUST joined Upwork, but where on Elance for YEARS.

3. Newbie freelancers who just joined Upwork.

4. Established freelancers who just joined Upwork. (Probably not very many, however).

@ @Andrew B

So this means that there are some contractors here who DO know all about Upwork. Since your new, I felt it important for you to be aware of this distinction. Some of us even post in the Forums. Heh.

Also, patience is key here. Thanks for bringing that up, Mercy. Getting started on Odesk back in the day was bad enough, but now I think it's harder because of all the nanny-state functions that Upwork has slapped on the site.

Also, a quick word about Customer Service. Indeed there are some things only THEY can handle. But for general questions, the forums are much better. 

And of course, there are the generic Support Pages.

I would have commented on your profile, but I see it it's set to Private. Where you aware of this?

Highlighted
Community Guru
5 of 23

Pandora wrote:

There are several groups of Upwork freelancers present on the site right now.

1. Established freelancers who have been on Upwork for literally YEARS.

2. Established Elancer freelancers who have JUST joined Upwork, but where on Elance for YEARS.

3. Newbie freelancers who just joined Upwork.

4. Established freelancers who just joined Upwork. (Probably not very many, however).

Pandora, you mean I'm that much off the mark? I've always thought that there was oDesk and there was Elance and those two recently merged to form Upwork. That even Upwork is a newly created name.

And on that premise I appreciate that there were experienced freelancers on oDesk as well as experienced freelancers on Elance. But as for Upwork, we are all new and hence experiencing the teething problems of the merger together. That has been my understanding of Upwork till now.

*I notice in your groups (1 - 4) you have not mentioned oDesk. Do you imply that oDesk is what was simply renamed Upwork and Elance just got assimilated? If that's the case then I surely have had the whole setup wrong.

Highlighted
Community Guru
Krisztina U Member Since: Aug 7, 2009
6 of 23

@MERCY N wrote:

But as for Upwork, we are all new and hence experiencing the teething problems of the merger together. That has been my understanding of Upwork till now.

Mercy, Upwork is the oDesk platform with a new name, font and font color. There is no other difference. This is not a brand new platform, it's a rebranded one.

Highlighted
Community Guru
Pandora H Member Since: May 11, 2010
7 of 23

@MERCY N wrote:
<snip>

Pandora, you mean I'm that much off the mark? I've always thought that there was oDesk and there was Elance and those two recently merged to form Upwork. That even Upwork is a newly created name.

And on that premise I appreciate that there were experienced freelancers on oDesk as well as experienced freelancers on Elance. But as for Upwork, we are all new and hence experiencing the teething problems of the merger together. That has been my understanding of Upwork till now.

*I notice in your groups (1 - 4) you have not mentioned oDesk. Do you imply that oDesk is what was simply renamed Upwork and Elance just got assimilated? If that's the case then I surely have had the whole setup wrong.

That is exactly what happend. Established Odesker's" woke up one day to find Odesk was now Upwork. The site was a little different, but business went on as usual. Not to say this transition was simple or well received.

Example: I started on Odesk in 2009, and in 2015 Odesk changed their name to Upwork. There have been a lot of changes on THIS site since early in 2015, but many of them happend before the company name change.

In regards to Odesk and Elance, that merger happend quite some time ago. Like I think in 2013 or 2014. It's just happenstance that Odesk changed the name of THAT company just BEFORE the shutdown of Elance. Maybe that makes you wonder a little, eh?

Highlighted
Community Guru
8 of 23

Pandora & Krizstina - thanks for your clarification.  Smiley Happy

Highlighted
Community Guru
9 of 23

"... It's just happenstance that Odesk changed the name of THAT company just BEFORE the shutdown of Elance. Maybe that makes you wonder a little, eh?"

Yes, Pandora. I think that's the main reason for my misconstruction.

Got it now.  

Highlighted
Community Guru
Petra R Member Since: Aug 3, 2011
10 of 23

@Andrew B wrote:The administrators could have simply cropped it and saved themselves the time of writing this email to me as well as saved me time from replying and going to the website to crop it myself.

Hi Andrew,

Welcome!

Actually Customer Service reps can not alter your photo, they have no access to doing so, and it wouldn't be a good idea if they could considering that every photo has rights attached to it.

I do however agree that the photo guidelines should be made clear before we upload a photo, it would save plenty of time and frustration!

TOP KUDOED MEMBERS