Did you mean: 

Logic fails to prevail

Highlighted
Community Guru
Mariska P Member Since: Apr 27, 2015
11 of 23

Hey Andrew,

Sorry you're going through this. 

I can't believe that they would worry about a waist up picture when I've seen pictures that show more of the person's body than Upwork told you.

"Must be an actual picture of you! Logos, clip art, group pictures, and digitally-altered images not allowed." I've seen cartoons in place of photos.  Now, I'm not sure if that's only seen to me or if everyone can see it, but this doesn't make sense to me that your photo could be rejected when there's so many people that don't have a real picture. 

Welcome to Upwork. Cat Wink

Highlighted
Andrew B Member Since: Aug 9, 2015
12 of 23
Thanks, Mercy. It seems like I do a lot of SMH these days. :-) Ahhh, society.

Petra, I figured as much. Just would have been a lot less hassle if they could.

Mariska, thanks for your comments. I should be used to a world of double standards by now. Alas, I long for fairness, equality, and peace. I'm not much of a Beatles fan but, "some say I'm a dreamer..."

Have a great day everyone! :-)
Highlighted
Valeria K Moderator Member Since: Mar 6, 2014
13 of 23

Hi Andrew,

Thank you for cropping your profile picture. Your profile has been approved and you should be able to start sending proposals to jobs on Upwork. I am sorry about any inconveninence and frustration the profile review may have caused you.

~ Valeria
Untitled
Highlighted
Community Guru
Preston H Member Since: Nov 24, 2014
14 of 23

Andrew, however much you might think this was a waste of your time, your photo looks great and cropping more closely around your face is an improvement because we can see your face and you look like the kind of person a client would want to hire.

Highlighted
Community Guru
Mariska P Member Since: Apr 27, 2015
15 of 23

' look like the kind of person a client would want to hire.'

hmmmm. that doesn't sound good at all Preston. 

that kind of statement could open up a can of worms in the discrimination department.  jus' sayin'. 

Highlighted
Community Guru
Preston H Member Since: Nov 24, 2014
16 of 23

Mariska,

What on Earth are you talking about?

Andrew has a very professional-looking photo. Well dressed. Professional demeanor. Smiling. Looks like somebody serious but also pleasant to work with. Obviously put effort into his photo.

There is a reason Upwork so strenuously encourages contractors to show their real face and have photos cropped to emphasize people's face and not the background or their whole body. This inspires trust and confidence in clients.

Highlighted
Andrew B Member Since: Aug 9, 2015
17 of 23

Thank you very much, Preston. Yes, I try to maintain a professional demeanor when presenting myself to the public. Have a great day!

Highlighted
Community Guru
Fergus M Member Since: May 23, 2015
18 of 23

"There is a reason Upwork so strenuously encourages contractors to show their real face and have photos cropped to emphasize people's face and not the background or their whole body. This inspires trust and confidence in clients."

I write blog posts about the outdoors, camping gear, firearms, travel and adventurous stuff. Sometimes I write true-crime eBooks. My clients aren't looking for people who wear a shirt and tie to work; they want a rugged outdoor type. Instead they get me, but at least in my profile pic I'm on a boat (and the pic is small enough that nobody can read what my T-shirt says, or tell that the boat is literally tied to a pub). Me on a boat is exactly the image I want to project to my clients. Also I like boats.

If liberty means anything at all, it means the right to tell people what they do not want to hear.― George Orwell
Highlighted
Community Guru
Petra R Member Since: Aug 3, 2011
19 of 23

Fergus M wrote:  Me on a boat is exactly the image I want to project to my clients. Also I like boats.

I had no idea that you're on a boat .... I did think it looked like some structure was growing out of the back of your neck.............

Highlighted
Community Guru
Scott E Member Since: Jul 26, 2015
20 of 23

I always think you're in a scrap yard, and that thing behind you is the crane type thing that puts cars in the crusher. 

Quite disappointed that it's actually a boat. Smiley Sad

"Welcome, humans. I'm ready for you!"
- Box, Logan's Run (1976)
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS