Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Lonely

Community Guru
Jennifer M Member Since: May 17, 2015
11 of 34

Sergio S wrote:

Well, I have another job which is inline skating teaching so I do interact with other people face to face. 

Oh that's pretty neat. Pics?

Community Guru
Sergio S Member Since: Dec 19, 2017
12 of 34

Jennifer M wrote:

Sergio S wrote:

Well, I have another job which is inline skating teaching so I do interact with other people face to face. 

Oh that's pretty neat. Pics?

Well... I am sending you one through PM.

Community Guru
Mark F Member Since: Jul 10, 2018
13 of 34

Preston H wrote:

re: "what is your method of addressing that?"

Upwork Community Forum.

obviously

Truth.  

Community Guru
Kat C Member Since: Jul 11, 2016
14 of 34

Tom Z wrote:

Working remotely can be lonely -- what is your method of addressing that?

I may be the odd woman out on this topic...but, I don't get lonely at all. 

I do become stir crazy sitting in the same room all day. So, I'll pack up my work belongings and head on down to a local work coop. But, then the egregiously loud real estate agent starts yelling on her phone with her office door open. Everything has its trade-offs. 

Ace Contributor
Remi O Member Since: Jun 6, 2016
15 of 34

I'm with you Kat. I don't get lonely at all. I guess it's because of my personality plus, yes, I do think of the craziness I've experienced in workplaces in the past. No, thanks!

I always do stuff on the weekends with friends and groups I'm a part of. And I do have lunch with friends during the week so that helps.

Community Guru
Sergio S Member Since: Dec 19, 2017
16 of 34

Remi O wrote:

I'm with you Kat. I don't get lonely at all. I guess it's because of my personality plus, yes, I do think of the craziness I've experienced in workplaces in the past. No, thanks!

If there is something I hate in the open space offices so fashionable in this millenium is the constant ruckus that doesn't allow me to concentrate. When I remember the time when I had to go through that I feel blessed being "unemployed" and lonely. I am so much efficient now. But yeah, I guess it's because of my personality.

Community Guru
Tiffany S Member Since: Jan 15, 2016
17 of 34

One of the big benefits of freelancing is flexibility, which includes the flexibility to go to the gym mid-morning, have a two-hour lunch with a friend, call your mom when the whim strikes, volunteer during hours that are typically hard for non-profits to staff (and so on, and so on). 

Community Guru
Eve L Member Since: Feb 17, 2017
18 of 34

Tiffany S wrote:

One of the big benefits of freelancing is flexibility, which includes the flexibility to go to the gym mid-morning, have a two-hour lunch with a friend, call your mom when the whim strikes, volunteer during hours that are typically hard for non-profits to staff (and so on, and so on). 

I've been freelancing for almost 3 years now, and I've never been that lonely. Smiley Tongue

I live at hotels, so when I feel lonely I go to the coffee shop in the lobby and work from there. I can talk to the people who work there, and as an extra perk their job is to bring me coffee, beer and food. It's perfect!

Forums and chats are good as well, but I use that mostly for procrastination, which to be fair is what I spend most of my days on...

19 of 34

Great discussion everybody!

Working remotely from home can feel pretty lonely sometimes. Reading through this thread, I realize we all have some common ways of dealing with it. My dog pretty much claimed the little loveseat sofa in my office as his own. Like Sergio, I have a very social hobby. And I agree with Nichola, cyber communication is great for bringing families, friends and teams together even if they are on opposite sides of the world, but meeting in person from time to time is also necessary. That's why this summer has been great for me as I got to visit my family in Ukraine AND our Community Team had a meet up in Serbia!

~ Valeria
Untitled
Community Guru
Rene K Member Since: Jul 10, 2014
20 of 34

Valeria K wrote:

Community Team had a meet up in Serbia!

I don't even want to know what has been drunk and what has been said about us.

-----------
"Where darkness shines like dazzling light"   —William Ashbless
TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS