Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Marketing Effectiveness

Highlighted
Community Guru
Robert James R Member Since: Apr 17, 2015
1 of 5

Okay, this is just me wondering how's yours compared to mine. As you can see, I don't even meet the standards of most writers.

I'm not sure if it's because I charge too much or they charge too low.

Anyway, I'd love to know how yours is and if yours is high enough, would you have any tips?

Thanks!!!

Effectiveness oDesk.jpg

Highlighted
Community Guru
Pandora H Member Since: May 11, 2010
2 of 5

@Robert James R wrote:

Okay, this is just me wondering how's yours compared to mine. As you can see, I don't even meet the standards of most writers.

I'm not sure if it's because I charge too much or they charge too low.

Anyway, I'd love to know how yours is and if yours is high enough, would you have any tips?

Thanks!!!

Robert,

First let me say I am not a writer (and it's a bummer no writers chimed in on this thread). However, you have a nice JS, good feedback, and an overall (at face value at least) job history.

So I'd have to ask, what are your bidding stratagies? Do you use unique cover letters? Bid on jobs that offer the sort of pay rate you advertise on your profile? Are your bids being hidden and do you know what that means?

I personally offer services to a very small niche, in addition I am SUPER picky about what I bid on. My Marketing Effectivness score is a bit higher then yours, and I have completed way less jobs.

Therefore, I'd guess that somewhere along the way in your bid process, something is off. No offense meant to you.

Highlighted
Community Guru
3 of 5

It was back when we didn't have connects and I was applying for all sorts of writing jobs regardless of niche. I'd often do a shotgun approach to applications, making sure my bid was reasonably lower than the rest (when it was still free to see them).

It wasn't only until I started specializing that I was able to get more hits than misses and I started that this April when connects were fully implemented.

As for strategies, I often write a generic cover letter but I also aim to adjust according to the job's requirement or if the job offer doesn't like "generic cover letters" of which I write it in a way that makes it less generic and more personal.

I often bid on jobs on the intermediate to expert level but sometimes, when I have extra time, I also bid on entry levels. As for the price, intermediate and expert jobs I usuallly charge 12 (my minimum, depending on jobs), and $8 for entry level jobs.

I don't even know if my bids are hidden. Can you enlighten me on the subject?

Highlighted
Community Guru
Preston H Member Since: Nov 24, 2014
4 of 5
"It was back when we didn't have connects and I was applying for all sorts of writing jobs regardless of niche. I'd often do a shotgun approach to applications, making sure my bid was reasonably lower than the rest"

Wow. Thank you for candor about your past practices.

That type of behavior is the exact reason we now have connects.
Highlighted
Community Guru
5 of 5

LOL I get that. I have no excuses but rather I was amazed at how this freelancing worked and I only did fixed price jobs at the time which earned me so little before I realized the potential of full time/hourly.

And if you ever bid on writing jobs, the competition is stiff specially against those who charge like 3 or less per hour. I usually don't apply when I see those guys but they were literally everywhere. I literally had no other choice but to bid as many as possible, as early as possible (like "minutes fresh on the feed" early)

So I guess this connects thing has helped me get more jobs too.

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS