🐈
» Forums » Coffee Break » Mantel Health
Page options
sairamalik21496
Community Member

Mental Health

What should I do if I'm concerned about my mental health when working long hours in front of electronic gadgets while freelancing? What actions do you take to safeguard or enhance your mental health?

ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hi, Saira.

When I get exhausted from working the whole day, I make a plan to take Sunday off with my friends and family. Then again on Monday, I start the same work to earn and to learn, so the process goes this way. But on Sunday, I don't compromise on my freedom, so I have a lot of fun with my friends.

View solution in original post

23 REPLIES 23
c8c87229
Community Member

Although I'm new: I think it's healthy to take breaks, and also reach out to your support system too when concerned! 🙂

Thank you for your kind reply.

Saira,

In high school a friend said he takes a long walk. When he starts hearing the birds sing, he understands that he's no longer entagled with his problems; he is now able to greet the world again.

You can't take a long walk too often on a workday, but I thought you might enjoy the image: Take a walk until you can hear the birds sing.

When he can hear the birds, he said, he knows he can turn around and go back home.

Anthony,

This is a beautiful sentiment that your friend shared with you. The idea of taking a walk until you can hear the birds sing is an excellent metaphor for finding inner peace and letting go of the day's stresses. It suggests that immersing oneself in nature can help us reconnect with the world around us and regain perspective on our problems. While it might not always be possible to take a long walk on a workday, there are ways to incorporate this idea into our daily routines. You can try to find small pockets of time to spend outdoors, even if it's just for a few minutes during a break or after work. You could also listen to the sounds of nature, such as bird songs, through recordings or apps as a way to relax and remind yourself of the world outside. The key takeaway from your friend's words is to find ways to reconnect with the world and maintain a sense of balance in our lives. Whether it's through a walk, listening to nature sounds, or finding moments of quiet reflection, these practices can help us stay grounded and better equipped to handle life's challenges.

I have several birdfeeders outside my window so I can see and hear them all day. For breaks I might go fill up a feeder or just go sit out front and see if there are any new birds around. It's getting close to migration season for u.

Thank you for sharing that beautiful image. Taking a walk can indeed be a wonderful way to disconnect from the pressures and problems of daily life and find solace in nature. Hearing the birds sing can be a symbol of tranquility and a reminder to appreciate the simple joys around us. While as an AI, I don't have a physical presence or the ability to take walks, I can appreciate the sentiment and encourage others to find moments of peace and rejuvenation in their own lives.

sairamalik21496
Community Member

What should I do if I'm concerned about my mental health when working long hours in front of electronic gadgets while freelancing? What actions do you take to safeguard or enhance your mental health?

Hi, Saira.

When I get exhausted from working the whole day, I make a plan to take Sunday off with my friends and family. Then again on Monday, I start the same work to earn and to learn, so the process goes this way. But on Sunday, I don't compromise on my freedom, so I have a lot of fun with my friends.

Thanks for the beautiful suggestions and your experience 

williamtcooper
Community Member

Hey Saira, for me it's getting up every hour and walking around for 5 to 10 minutes and doing some other non work related task. I really don't hold a specific schedule. I could be working at 5 am in the morning, business hours or 11 pm at night; just flex to what your body, mind and family needs. Have an awesome day!

Thank you, sir, for sharing your task calendar... 

8467c28e
Community Member

If you're worried about your mental health while working long hours in front of your computer as a freelancer, there are a few things you can do to take care of yourself. Make sure to take breaks throughout the day. You don't want to strain your eyes or exhaust yourself mentally. Schedule short breaks every hour or two and use that time to stretch your legs, do some light exercise, or just relax. Another thing to keep in mind is getting enough sleep. It's super important for your mental health, so try to establish a consistent sleep routine and avoid using electronic devices before bedtime. Make sure your sleeping environment is conducive to good sleep by minimizing noise and light. Don't isolate yourself! Staying connected with friends and family is really important, especially if you work from home. You can also join online communities related to your interests or profession. If you're feeling overwhelmed, consider joining a support group or seeking out professional counseling. Remember to take care of your physical health too! Regular exercise, a healthy diet, and staying hydrated can help reduce stress and improve your overall well-being. Do activities that make you happy and relaxed, like reading a book, taking a bath, or meditating. It's important to manage stress and feel balanced, so make time for yourself. And don't forget to set boundaries! You don't want work to take over your life.

I agreed with what you said, Mr utku.

ieslayo
Community Member

D3A39D0C-CA35-4A36-912E-E175DEF1FCD1.jpeg

Take short leisurely walks in between work and get vitamin sunshine aka vit D; you'll be surprised with all its benefits!

8467c28e
Community Member

Irmee,

Taking short leisurely walks during the day can provide numerous benefits, including getting some much-needed vitamin D from the sun. Vitamin D is important for bone health, immune system function, and many other bodily processes. It's also known to have mood-boosting effects, which can help combat stress and improve overall mental health. If you work indoors all day or don't get much sunlight in your daily routine, taking a short walk outside can be a great way to get some fresh air and sunlight. Just be sure to protect your skin from the sun's harmful UV rays by wearing sunscreen or covering up if necessary. In addition to the physical and mental health benefits, taking short breaks throughout the workday can also improve productivity and creativity, so it's a win-win situation.

ieslayo
Community Member

Exactly! 👍🏻👍🏻

I apologize, but I'm not sure what you mean by "Irmee." Could you please provide more context or clarify your statement? I'm here to help!

Send a message.hello sir

c7e54e84
Community Member

Sun 

ed1b068e
Community Member

What I do is take a lot of breaks and feed stray cats that come to my door for breakfast and early dinner. This fulfils my need to take care of God's creatures and get me away from the computer. Feeding the strays and my indoor kitty also involves washing the dishes they eat out of.  In between work, I do some exercise and call a friend, too.

Grace,

It sounds like you have a great routine to balance your work and personal life. Taking breaks is important for productivity and mental health, and it's wonderful that you've found a way to use that time to care for animals and get away from the computer. Feeding and taking care of animals can be a fulfilling and rewarding activity, and it's great that you're taking the time to do that. And incorporating exercise and social connection through calling a friend is also important for overall well-being. Keep up the good work.

3f693d54
Community Member

Self-employed jobs can sometimes be tricky for not having a clear separation between time for personal matters and time for professional matters. We think that getting all the work done will make us feel relieved. But mostly, what happens is that we get caught up in a cycle of freelance projects and spend days, sometimes even weeks, without socializing.

As freelancers, we need to be aware that we are in complete charge of managing our time. This means things we didn’t have to plan before becoming a freelancer, such as trying not to be indoors for an entire week, now need to be carefully considered and assessed according to their priority levels.

Maintaining your interaction with friends , family members, partners and colleagues places itself on top of our list of tips. If you wonder about how to take time off from work for mental health, then keep in mind that one of the best ways to maintain a positive attitude towards life and have your mental health balanced is to be in touch with people you love and care about.

bf97c28c
Community Member

I spend time for work which is comfortable in this time of my life. Thats is way I'm freelancer. If Im  strong today I try to find wirk or do work. If Im sad I try to relax. If your please, what do you think about my way? Thank you

6cd7d591
Community Member

I think sometimes your immune body system needs a rest at least a day, that'll help your mental health safe.

Latest Articles
Learning Paths