🐈
» Forums » Coffee Break » Message Status - Seen
Page options
ushahin
Community Member

Message Status - Seen

I wonder, if Upwork can apply the feature, message status ( Sent / Seen by Client or Freelancer ) so, it will be helpful. 

Also, A quick link in the Upwork messages Module for important info ( Like server login/username password   ) - Or a Filter with Tagging a Message, within a Client or Filter message by tag. 

A Way to send an email for an old client posting a new job? 

13 REPLIES 13
petra_r
Community Member

Shahinul I wrote:

I wonder, if Upwork can apply the feature, message status ( Sent / Seen by Client or Freelancer ) so, it will be helpful. 

Absolutely not. 

Dreadful idea and every time it is brought up, the vast majority don't want something so intrusive.  People respond when it fit into their schedule. The last thing a professional client or freelancer wants is the other party freaking out along the lines of "ABC read my message hours ago and never responded..." 

Shahinul I wrote:

Also, A quick link in the Upwork messages Module for important info ( Like server login/username password   ) -  

Already exists

already exists.png

Shahinul I wrote:

What is stopping you from sending a message to the client from the old message room?

Or simply apply to the posted job. That's what it's there for.

prestonhunter
Community Member
gilbert-phyllis
Community Member

Shahinul I wrote:

Also, A quick link in the Upwork messages Module for important info ( Like server login/username password   ) - Or a Filter with Tagging a Message, within a Client or Filter message by tag. 

That's a big nope.

Submit a proposal-

lysis10
Community Member

I'll give an example of why this is one of the worst ideas that needs to die. And hopefully Upwork doesn't entertain it (again).

So a couple days ago I got a message from a client some time around 9pm my time. I like to look at the messages they send, but by this time I'm tired and don't want to respond. Usually, I'm drinking and relaxing but I just like to see the message in case it's 911 or just to know what I need to do the next day. I looked at the message and didn't reply until the next day because I wasn't able to reply.

If this dumb idea gets implemented, I gotta deal with people ranting that I saw the message and didn't answer. All it does is cause frustration when it's not necessary.

Noooooo.

I don't want to feel compelled to reply on a Friday/Saturday night after a bottle of gin. Regardless of booze consumption, I want to be able to reply when I'm ready to reply. 

Accepted! but just think of the person who is expecting your reply. May be there is something more urgent for him then your ignorance. Just a simple "bit busy now, will get back soon..." is also a polite way and the other side doesnot feel ignored.

Just think of a reverse scenario. I got an invite from a client to submit a proposal for some urgent work he wants me to deliver over the next 48 hours. I respond to it immediately because I understand his emergency. After going through the proposal the client asked me to do a demo because he wanted to see the quality before deciding the contract. This happens at 8:00 pm in the evening and I prepare the demo for him till 2:30 am, just to make sure he gets his work on time. When I submitted the demo, he got online, I am not sure if he saw my message or not. I kept waiting, posted a few more message and he never responded. When finally I got his message I was too tired of waiting. At 6:00 am in the morning he wants me to do the job. When I quoted for the job he said forget it and stopped responding. 

re: "When I quoted for the job he said forget it and stopped responding."

As would I.

Ripujit S wrote:

After going through the proposal the client asked me to do a demo because he wanted to see the quality before deciding the contract. This happens at 8:00 pm in the evening and I prepare the demo for him till 2:30 am,  

You spent over 6 hours doing free work... Don't do that. Clients are not allowed to ask for free work.

Ripujit S wrote:

. When I quoted for the job he said forget it and stopped responding. 

The whole things was mismanaged from start to finish by yourself. Having something to show you if your messages have been seen or not wouldn't have helped. 

Ripujit S wrote:

. Just a simple "bit busy now, will get back soon..." is also a polite way and the other side doesnot feel ignored.

You need to let go of the idea that you are entitled to a response. You also need to learn not to harass clients by sending repeated messages when you don't get a response.

Ripujit S wrote:

Just think of a reverse scenario. I got an invite from a client to submit a proposal for some urgent work he wants me to deliver over the next 48 hours. I respond to it immediately because I understand his emergency. After going through the proposal the client asked me to do a demo because he wanted to see the quality before deciding the contract. This happens at 8:00 pm in the evening and I prepare the demo for him till 2:30 am, just to make sure he gets his work on time. When I submitted the demo, he got online, I am not sure if he saw my message or not. I kept waiting, posted a few more message and he never responded. When finally I got his message I was too tired of waiting. At 6:00 am in the morning he wants me to do the job. When I quoted for the job he said forget it and stopped responding. 

lol you did free work and fell for the urgent trick. This isn't even valid. We're talking about people who actually make money here.

Ripujit S wrote:

So, basically, you were scammed and you are trying to blame it on not having a read receipt.

How would it have made any difference? 

Jamie F wrote:

Ripujit S wrote:

So, basically, you were scammed and you are trying to blame it on not having a read receipt.

How would it have made any difference? 

Well if he got a read receipt, then he could tell the client that he *knows* the client saw his message and the client would be all "omg he KNOWS I read it I better pay now!"

Latest Articles
Learning Paths