🐈
» Forums » Coffee Break » Re: Microsoft POSSIBLY in talks to acquire Up...
Page options
alphazomgy
Community Member

Microsoft POSSIBLY in talks to acquire Upwork

Source: https://usaherald.com/microsoft-partners-upwork-acquisition-discussions/

I'm not sure how trustworthy this source is, but as a copywriter I have interviewed with Microsoft several times on this platform for various gigs. The person who manages their Upwork account is actually some European woman hired through Upwork, last I checked.

What we do know for sure is that Microsoft has been thinking for sometime about how to launch a service similar to Upwork through Linkedin. 

I think Upwork is exactly what Microsoft needs to make Linkedin a success. I'll tell you one thing, if Microsoft doesn't buy Linkedin, they'll likely have to copy Upwork! 

PS: If anyone remembers the thread I made about the Upwork stock IPO, I've actually made a killing with their stock. Go buy yourself a symbolic share lol. (I don't think the stock comes with voting rights, but I could be wrong?) 

PSS: No I didn't use the search function to see if there was a thread similar to this. Woopsy

ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Our old friend Garnor is at LinkedIn now. (He was the previous version of Lena)

View solution in original post

16 REPLIES 16
wendy_writes
Community Member

Interesting.

Our old friend Garnor is at LinkedIn now. (He was the previous version of Lena)

Oh, really. That's good to hear.  I'm assuming that's a better job.

colettelewis
Community Member

@Alexander B wrote:

Source: https://usaherald.com/microsoft-partners-upwork-acquisition-discussions/

I'm not sure how trustworthy this source is, but as a copywriter I have interviewed with Microsoft several times on this platform for various gigs. The person who manages their Upwork account is actually some European woman hired through Upwork, last I checked.

What we do know for sure is that Microsoft has been thinking for sometime about how to launch a service similar to Upwork through Linkedin. 

I think Upwork is exactly what Microsoft needs to make Linkedin a success. I'll tell you one thing, if Microsoft doesn't buy Linkedin, they'll likely have to copy Upwork! 

PS: If anyone remembers the thread I made about the Upwork stock IPO, I've actually made a killing with their stock. Go buy yourself a symbolic share lol. (I don't think the stock comes with voting rights, but I could be wrong?) 

PSS: No I didn't use the search function to see if there was a thread similar to this. Woopsy

I'm glad you've "made a killing". 

You've depressed me though. Why do you think Upwork+ Microsoft can "improve" LinkedIn?  For me LinkedIn is a cut above both in terms of global acceptance and freedom of movement.

This is a genuine question. 

LinkedIn is an established solid business brand; LI spent years solidifying their persona and reputation.  Neither of the parties in this 'possible merger' (or whatever you want to term it) have the solid and legitimate business cache that LI merits.  Each might have it in their area of expertize ... but going head-to-head with LI, strictly from a brand acceptance angle, neither can come close.  Not for a very long time.

Adding: I understand there is a thread on Reddit about if anyone cares to in investigate -

@Nichola

I don't think Upwork would dissappear as a result of any deal. What I'm hoping is that Upwork would be made more mainstream. 

What makes Linkedin a good brand? People hardly use it. The users on this forum are more active than the users on Linkedin lol 

gilbert-phyllis
Community Member

MS made Skype virtually useless to me (after using it more or less daily for more than a decade, and happily paying for certain functionality for half a decade, at least). I have neither the inclination nor the time, right now, to think about how MS's acquisition of UW might unfold. criminy

Another Go to Meeting fan?   😉

@Wendy

Can you please link me that reddit thread? I can't find it. 

Edit: Nevermind. What I learned in this thread was more enlightening.

tell us more about that killing you made

it's trading at less than 16.50 now.  Did you buy @15 on the 2nd and sell at 21 on the 3rd?

We could always ask Upwork if they're currently in talks with Microsoft.  We probably wouldn't receive an answer, but we could always ask.

Pat,

Upwork is a classic example of a university colleague who says they didn't study anything for the exams and you realize later on that they got an A+ when the results are out.

Well, they are just down the street from me and many of my neighbors are execs there, so I guess I could knock on a few doors with some holiday cookies and see what they have to say! 

Microsoft is planning to purchase upwork platform soon. Although Microsoft one of the Giant Tech company they can do whatever they want. I don't see hope in future about upwork :'( .

Pat:

Ask the chat bot. Double dog dare ya!

Cheryl

Cheryl wins the internet ... and is this year's final winner for best internet comment.   Smiley LOL

Latest Articles
Learning Paths