🐈
» Forums » Coffee Break » Re: Mindfulness or yoga or whatever
Page options
colettelewis
Community Member

Mindfulness or yoga or whatever

Mods please - this is tantamount to spamming. At first, I thought it a great idea - but it is now looking like coercion and advertising. And what is more, we have little idea of who this person is and what exactly it is going to do for your older freelancers.  It's great that some of you have enjoyed it so much - but perhaps you could open a 'health' heading and all afficianados can go there?

ETA: Far from reinvigorating my mind, it has sent me into panic mode - I do not weigh 40 kg, I do not have the kit. I cannot sit cross-legged on my desk. 

7 REPLIES 7
kochubei_valeria
Community Member

Nichola,

I'm sorry to hear you didn't enjoy the yoga session. I understand that some poses and activities aren't always within everybody's reach. I've been there myself as I was dealing with injuries. However, what I like about yoga is that there is always a way to modify the pose to the person's abilities. And I thought Natalie did a pretty good job letting everybody know they can just skip a pose or change it to make it comfortable for them.
I myself have been to yoga sessions where I chose to just sit there and breathe but still practice with people, just in my own way.

We will have more events and activities here and not all of them will involve exercise. So there is something for everybody here. In any case, these activities aren't required and are free to attend for anybody who's interested

~ Valeria
Upwork

Valeria K wrote:

Nichola,

I'm sorry to hear you didn't enjoy the yoga session. I understand that some poses and activities aren't always within everybody's reach. I've been there myself as I was dealing with injuries. However, what I like about yoga is that there is always a way to modify the pose to the person's abilities. And I thought Natalie did a pretty good job letting everybody know they can just skip a pose or change it to make it comfortable for them.
I myself have been to yoga sessions where I chose to just sit there and breathe but still practice with people, just in my own way.

We will have more events and activities here and not all of them will involve exercise. So there is something for everybody here. In any case, these activities aren't required and are free to attend for anybody who's interested

-------------------------

Thanks Valeria, but that wasn't really my point. I go to real-life  yoga classes (yes - masked and minimal) but that are geared to my age group. My point is not the yoga (beneficial) but that coffee break is being overwhelmed by these posts. What I find interesting, is that any other thread that is similar in nature, gets merged, but not this one. I wonder why - is all. 

There are also dozens of online yoga courses to see us through the pandemic, so why this one in particular? 

Nichola L wrote:

There are also dozens of online yoga courses to see us through the pandemic, so why this one in particular? 

Probably because Upwork isn't aware of Zoom fatigue. A little too late to the party. 

I do not wish to rain on anybody's parade. There is everything to be said for virtual yoga sessions, even virtual holidays and it would be great to be less stressed, more focused and ready to go. 

But, however well-intentioned, apps do not pay the bills, do not remove family worries, do not remove the specter of Covid, and other worries besides. 

One way Upwork could help genuine freelancers (globally) and clients (globally) to de-stress is to remove the never-ending influx of wannabe freelancers (and clients) with false credentials,  who bloat the site, give Upwork a bad name, and are generally bad for everyone's business. 

Plus the scammers and plagiarists that Upwork don't seem to be bothered about.

Every time I tell a client I only accept payment on Upwork, or that we can't communicate off the platform until we have a contract, or I avoid breaking the rules in any other way, I am reminded of all the other people who brazenly break (serious) rules and nothing happens. 

I'm expected to play by the rules (fair enough) while others get off scot-free (not fair enough).

It makes me feel as though I am being treated with contempt and no amount of yoga will overcome that. 

Nichola and Jamie,

The events and promotions we offer during Mindfulness March here in the Community's Coffee Break Section do not interfere or take away resources from work and initiatives done by other teams such as Engineering and Trust & Safety. They are also entirely optional to participate. The Community team will continue doing our jobs and we are planning to offer more opportunities for our Community members to connect and interact both professionally and socially. That said, we will also continue sharing Community's feedback and supporting other teams that work on very important and essential aspects of the platform's works as Trust & Safety. These things are not mutually exclusive.

~ Valeria
Upwork

It was indeed worth merging this topic, while there are multiple Yoga topics, that merely differ by the date.

Latest Articles
Learning Paths