cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Motivation?

Community Guru
Vesna M Member Since: May 15, 2012
1 of 25
Each day I have less and less motivation. There are two reasons for that: 1) I have to prove my skills to every client, again and again, although I have portfolio and history. 2) When the job is done I'm never sure what feedback and score I'll get. There are some clients who write how everything is great and after they end the contract I get kind message and score 4 out of 5 for something. It just takes so much energy to prove and compete all the time. What about you? What's stressing you out?
2 of 25
[quote=Vesna M.]2) When the job is done I'm never sure what feedback and score I'll get. There are some clients who write how everything is great and after they end the contract I get kind message and score 4 out of 5 for something.[/quote] I've had this happen twice before. It seems to be some current trend. I wonder if clients are getting advice about rating this way from somewhere or something. This last gal who did it to me tried to come back the next week to hire me again, to which I replied: "...Then, I see the rating that you gave me and I am not sure what to think. I am fine with the rating; if it is your honest appraisal of my work, so be it. Please understand, though, that, as a professional, I cannot make it a habit of continuing a working relationship with a client who is not either happy with my work or willing to communicate any issues with me before knocking my ratings down for some apparent issue that you never bothered to discuss with me. ...I would have hoped to hear directly from you about any problems that you saw. I hope you can understand that." I truly do not think this trend of rating someone down but talking them up is a true reflection of anyone who it is happening to. I think the clients are receiving misinformation from somewhere. Why else would they want to continue a working relationship (as mine did and yours says she would like to) with someone they feel is not up to par. Weird, right? Anyways, don't be too bothered by it. Shake it off and just keep going. The strange rating from your silly double-minded client didn't knock down your overall score, and I still receive compliments from clients who are impressed with my history. No need to stress about them, then. Right?
Community Guru
Bojana D Member Since: May 2, 2011
3 of 25
I'd probably feel this way if the feedback is below 3, with no prior signs from the client that they're dissatisfied in any way with my work. I think the problem here is mostly with oDeks's labels on the feedback levels and the way filters work. Mostly, clients and freelancers alike get the impression that you have to be a perfect 5 if you're a good provider. In the same time the labels on the stars are: * - Inadequate ** - Weak *** - Good **** - Excellent ***** - Exceptional Speaking for myself, I know I can't be exceptional in 100% of my contracts. I try, but it's not always possible. However, if a new client that's not familiar with the 5-stars bias in oDesk is really happy with my work, but doesn't feel that I've created the next Nike swish for them, will most likely rate me as excellent. That's a terrific rating by itslef and the only reason it usually gets a frown from the freelancer is the ridiculous notion that only exceptional freelancers will do.
Community Guru
Joseph C Member Since: Nov 5, 2011
4 of 25
I thought there was more of a description defining each star. Used to be anyway. Seems like 4 stars was more relevant to majority of the contractors, with the exceptional being more like beyond the call of duty. There was a somewhat lengthy discussion on the star rating here on forum some time back. Essentially client and contractors both believe that it is 5 stars or nothing. Which is really wrong in the true rating of each star level.
Robin C Member Since: Jan 10, 2012
5 of 25
[quote=Joseph C.]Essentially client and contractors both believe that it is 5 stars or nothing. Which is really wrong in the true rating of each star level.[/quote] I just checked this out. When you hover over the stars, it does say the same words Bojana listed. Those seem very odd to me. You must be "exceptional" to rate a 5? 4 is excellent, which should actually be a complimentary statement about the work/freelancer, but it's not because it is attached to the number 4. Clients rarely care for hiring freelancers with a 4 or even 4.5 rating. Even the clients who rate contractors this way are hesitant to hire someone with such a rating, even though they seem pleased with the work of their own 4-4.7ish freelancers. My thoughts on it are that, regardless of what those hover words label each number as meaning, logic still dictates in such a system. If you would be concerned about working with someone who has a 4.whatever rating (which almost everyone is reluctant to do), then don't hand out that kind of rating to someone who you are actually pleased to work with. You don't need a hover word to help you figure that out. Also, oDesk should change how they have these labeled. The current labels do not reflect the type of service most people associate with the numbers. After all, there are surely not this many exceptional people in the world, and excellent work (4s across the board) should be applauded, not avoided as it currently is. In the end, though, when one client chooses to rate this way, I hope we can all find the motivation to shake it off and just keep at it. There's nothing wrong with a little excellence in an otherwise exceptional world. Smiley Happy
Community Guru
Bojana D Member Since: May 2, 2011
6 of 25
[quote=Joseph C.] There was a somewhat lengthy discussion on the star rating here on forum some time back. [/quote] I do remember that thread, and I think the labels themselves were different before they made changes to differentiate between feedback categories for clients and contractors. The old ones were more accurate for sure. These new one-word descriptions are IMO really misleading if you wiegh them against oDesk's own system of recomendation and their set of search filters.
Community Guru
Marissa S Member Since: Feb 6, 2008
7 of 25
Two years back, I've been there so I totally understand how you feel; if I quit back then, I'd never be the freelancer I came to be as we speak. What's stressing me lately? Finding my one true love, lol Smiley Happy
Community Guru
8 of 25
I am here! :love: Wait!! Let me find my high school picture from 1968 and post it.
Ace Contributor
Aleah T Member Since: Mar 25, 2010
9 of 25
Aww...you're so cute! hahaha
Community Guru
10 of 25
I just don't understand it. I quit having birthdays last year when I turned 29, but today seems everyone i meet keeps wishing me a happy 63rd birthday. --- Now back to topic... I searched for the forum thread about the star rating descriptions, but could never find it. Could not come up with any key words that that would narrow the responses down from unrelated topics. Each star had about a 4 or 5 word sentenced that described that star rating. I think it has actually been about two or even three years since that topic was active.
TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS