🐈
» Forums » Coffee Break » My Obeservations.
Page options
bobafett999
Community Member

My Obeservations.

after reading threads after threads on scamming from both sides I have observed following pattern.

1. When a buyer scams the seller it is generally for small petty amount.

2. When a seller scams a buyer the amount is generally large.

I am not including instances when a buyer throws peanuts and gets monkeys and is whinning.

17 REPLIES 17
versailles
Community Member

Prashant, you have zero data to support your claims other than the few threads that you dug from a community that is largely used by freelancers.

Your anti-client attitude is getting not only boring, but also detrimental. Thank God, few clients hang on here, so few will read you and think that your ideas represent those of the whole freelancing community.

I think that for the shake of your mental health, you should take a break from Upwork. Till 2052.

-----------
"Where darkness shines like dazzling light"   —William Ashbless

@Rene K wrote:

Prashant, you have zero data to support your claims other than the few threads that you dug from a community that is largely used by freelancers.

Your anti-client attitude is getting not only boring, but also detrimental. Thank God, few clients hang on here, so few will read you and think that your ideas represent those of the whole freelancing community.

I think he's actually, sort of, siding with clients in this post - "sellers" being accused of scamming for larger amounts, and all. But, yeah, no data to speak of.

I stand corrected. Prashant is indeed saying the opposite of what I accused him of. I won't edit my first message so everyone can see my mistake.

But Prashant is still grumpy.

-----------
"Where darkness shines like dazzling light"   —William Ashbless

@Rene K wrote:

But Prashant is still grumpy.

He sort of grows on you 😉

The reason why it is easier for a freelancer to mess an innocent client about for a larger sum than the other way around is because it's quite a lot more difficult for a freelancer to be OWED Thousands than it is for a client to have paid out Thousands without getting what they thought they paid for.

You have to be downright reckless or stupid (or both) as a freelancer to do thousands worth of work without (for example) the funds being in Escrow (although I have to admit I did creep above the 2k once.)

@Rene K wrote:

""Where darkness shines like dazzling light" "

Rene get a flashlight.

Thanks though for wishing me a long life.

I must admit that those posts about scamming are quite fascinating. Yet, after reading so many of them, I'm getting sort of bored, except when the scam differs slightly from the usual pattern.

I loved that post about profiles for sale. How can people be that dumb?

^ weren't you entertained by that 'acid throwing' scam?

@Prashant P wrote:

^ weren't you entertained by that 'acid throwing' scam?

Ah, I missed something. I'll have to do some research... Thanks for the suggestion, Prashan!

@Luce N wrote:

I must admit that those posts about scamming are quite fascinating. Yet, after reading so many of them, I'm getting sort of bored, except when the scam differs slightly from the usual pattern.

Hi Luce,

I think a lot of people are at least partially hooked on the forum for the same reason. It's like a real-time work-related crime novel. And it's also addictive for the "I-wonder-what-they'll-come up-with-next" aspect. I know that JSS Sunday has a particularly large and loyal following for this very reason. 

Luce, it's true that we really do need some fresh scams lately. Trouble is, people keep falling for the old ones in more-or-less standard ways and then posting about it without looking up the old threads like it's the first time in the history of humankind that such a thing has ever happened.  We could do with a few more original plot twists in this department.

I think UW could catalogue the old threads into one mega thread and add it the main Forum Page along with Petra's flow chart and then label it with an obvious and easy to understand title, instead of burrying the appropriate information in the New to UpWork section, which as we know, no one in the history of humankind has ever read. Maybe UW could have a red "panic button" in an obvious and easy to find  location on the main forum page that would lead to the archive. 

Re: How can people be that dumb? I think we have to ask Dr. Kat to provide us with an explanation of something called "cognitive dissonance." And this question would make an excellent title for a popular science book or  a doctoral dissertation. 

Renata, please buy yourself a profile and invent a really original plot twist and post it. I'm counting on you.

How does one buy a 'profile'?  I need step-by-step instructions.

Hi Prashant, some time ago someone on the forum mentioned something about it, so I did some research on the internet and found a lot of people trying to buy or sell Upwork profiles. Have fun!

Hi folks,

so it seems that some are looking for trouble -I think nowadays it's called action ...
Ok, so as we are on a service platform, I will fill your request :

wansomescam ? Here I am !
Get scammed now*, and get unlimited damage !**

*Subscribe now, and get first time scammed for free.
**Damage guaranteed for the 2 first scams + 50% off membership.

All deals included in lifetime membership.

Subscribe NOW or call
0800-LifesucksIwannaBscamd !!
--We, the unwilling, led by the unknowing, are doing the impossible for the ungrateful.
We have done so much, for so long, with so little, we are now qualified to do anything with nothing.
Mother Teresa

@Moutacim L wrote:
Hi folks,

so it seems that some are looking for trouble -I think nowadays it's called action ...
Ok, so as we are on a service platform, I will fill your request :

wansomescam ? Here I am !
Get scammed now*, and get unlimited damage !**

*Subscribe now, and get first time scammed for free.
**Damage guaranteed for the 2 first scams + 50% off membership.

All deals included in lifetime membership.

Subscribe NOW or call
0800-LifesucksIwannaBscamd !!

Renata, is that you? Did you manage to buy a profile? Good material for a new "I've been scammed" thread.... Smiley Happy

Hi Luce,

some general advice for (mail)scam.

Enjoy 🙂 !!

--We, the unwilling, led by the unknowing, are doing the impossible for the ungrateful.
We have done so much, for so long, with so little, we are now qualified to do anything with nothing.
Mother Teresa

But seriously,

@Renata S wrote:

@Luce N wrote:

Re: How can people be that dumb? I think we have to ask Dr. Kat to provide us with an explanation of something called "cognitive dissonance." And this question would make an excellent title for a popular science book or  a doctoral dissertation. 

Yes, that is surely true:

The virtual world is IMHO not more or less than a real worlds mirror, somehow.

Some are acting with trust, while others take the reasonable steps to be carefull.

Do you open the door at home, when someone is knocking and claims bringing you the opportunity to get rich ? Or do you step back, cause you sound some bells ringing ... ?

People get blended for different reasons, maybe to see the net as an incognito world makes some of us blind to see what's actually really going outhere ....

Does crime chose the host ? Who is a criminal and who the victim ??

For sure it doesn't seem to choose space, real or virtual is the same. And maybe in the obscure shadow of the net almost easier to step into some scam, cause we loose attention as we think doors are closed windows are locked, so what could happen ?

Association of misunderstood feeling for security, you feel safe -@home, but you -maybe- are not -virtual. We are alone, but exposed. So the approach for threat is at least conditional given for some outhere. Big threat, small threat, scam, try to, etc ...

Since i am activ in this forum, i receive more emails with TWO objects:

The first claims always that i have somewhere between 1 and 25 Mio US$ waiting for me, all i have to do is just send where i want to receive them ...

And recently some mails like: Are you Moutacim ? We have to talk ..

Malissa, Pamela, Sue, Rebecca, Samantha, ....

What awesome threat this could be, Samantha waiting with 20Mio US$ ?

Well, Vorsicht ist die Mutter der Porzellankiste

🙂

Mother Teresa

@Renata S wrote:

I think UW could catalogue the old threads into one mega thread and add it the main Forum Page along with Petra's flow chart and then label it with an obvious and easy to understand title, instead of burrying the appropriate information in the New to UpWork section, which as we know, no one in the history of humankind has ever read. Maybe UW could have a red "panic button" in an obvious and easy to find  location on the main forum page that would lead to the archive. 

I read the New to Upwork section/forum all the time. It not only reminds me that we were all new toUpwork at one time, but also that most of were never that dumb. Or could be that dumb.  

Latest Articles
Learning Paths