cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

My fingers are cold when using my computer - solutions?

wwwalex
Alexey G Member Since: Jun 2, 2021
1 of 29

I sit at a computer 7-8 hours a day - and even though the rest of me is nice and warm, my fingers are as cold as ice.

Who faced with the same issue and how are you dealing with it?

mwiggenhorn
Community Guru
Mary W Member Since: Nov 10, 2014
2 of 29

Seriously, I would check this with a doctor.  Could be a sign of a problem.

renata101
Community Guru
Renata S Member Since: Jun 10, 2014
3 of 29

Mary W wrote:

Seriously, I would check this with a doctor.  Could be a sign of a problem.

Alexey, I would follow Mary's advice. 

This is something that could cause what you're describing. A friend of mine was diagnosed with this a few years ago. 
https://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/raynauds-disease/symptoms-causes/syc-20363571

jr-translation
Community Guru
Jennifer R Member Since: Sep 15, 2017
4 of 29

Alexey G wrote:

I sit at a computer 7-8 hours a day - and even though the rest of me is nice and warm, my fingers are as cold as ice.

Who faced with the same issue and how are you dealing with it?

Change your working position several times during the day and maybe try a different mouse or keyboard to keep the blood circulating.

astepanov83
Community Guru
Aleksandr S Member Since: Jun 22, 2015
5 of 29

I used to have sweaty hands and cold fingers. I started working out and cycling, and then this all disappeared. I also drank alcohol a lot, so I can't really say what exactly helped.

djondinium
Aleksandar D Moderator Member Since: Mar 23, 2019
6 of 29

Hi Alexey,

I have the same problem! It's most likely caused by poor blood circulation, in my case, probably due to smoking. What I found that helps is wearing gloves, but that's not ideal as it gets in the way of using the keyboard and the mouse. Exercising helps to raise your body temperature or massaging your hands every time they start getting cold. 

~ Aleksandar
Upwork
richardrader
Community Guru
Richard R Member Since: Jun 22, 2018
7 of 29

Its not healthy to sit on the computer for so long. Sounds like you have a problem with blood circulation (but I am not a doctor so you should still speak with a doctor).

Stand up every hour for 5 mins. Walk around the house, check the mail, stretch your legs, arms, etc. Also I highly reccomend buying a stand up desk. I have one because I have issues with blood pressure and sitting down for so long time is terrible for me. With a stand up desk I simply place it on my normal desk and stand while working. It really does wonders and you can find cheap ones on Amazon for $150 - $200. 

a_lipsey
Community Guru
Amanda L Member Since: Jan 23, 2018
8 of 29

Aleksandar D wrote:

Hi Alexey,

I have the same problem! It's most likely caused by poor blood circulation, in my case, probably due to smoking. What I found that helps is wearing gloves, but that's not ideal as it gets in the way of using the keyboard and the mouse. Exercising helps to raise your body temperature or massaging your hands every time they start getting cold. 

Did you consider quitting smoking?

petra_r
Community Guru
Petra R Member Since: Aug 3, 2011
9 of 29

Amanda L wrote:

You say that as if it is an easy thing to do... I'm fairly sure that if I hadn't found vaping (which I have subsequetly also quit) I'd still be smoking 2+ packs a day.

a_lipsey
Community Guru
Amanda L Member Since: Jan 23, 2018
10 of 29

Petra R wrote:

Amanda L wrote:

You say that as if it is an easy thing to do... I'm fairly sure that if I hadn't found vaping (which I have subsequetly also quit) I'd still be smoking 2+ packs a day.

I don't say it as if it's an easy thing to do. You are presuming I think it's an easy thing to do because I asked the question. I am an ex-smoker myself. I know how hard it is to quit. But it's also an active addiction that's causing damage to the body. 

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS