🐈
» Forums » Coffee Break » My fingers are cold when using my computer - ...
Page options
wwwalex
Community Member

My fingers are cold when using my computer - solutions?

I sit at a computer 7-8 hours a day - and even though the rest of me is nice and warm, my fingers are as cold as ice.

Who faced with the same issue and how are you dealing with it?

28 REPLIES 28
mwiggenhorn
Community Member

Seriously, I would check this with a doctor.  Could be a sign of a problem.

Mary W wrote:

Seriously, I would check this with a doctor.  Could be a sign of a problem.

Alexey, I would follow Mary's advice. 

This is something that could cause what you're describing. A friend of mine was diagnosed with this a few years ago. 
https://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/raynauds-disease/symptoms-causes/syc-20363571

jr-translation
Community Member

Alexey G wrote:

I sit at a computer 7-8 hours a day - and even though the rest of me is nice and warm, my fingers are as cold as ice.

Change your working position several times during the day and maybe try a different mouse or keyboard to keep the blood circulating.

astepanov83
Community Member

I used to have sweaty hands and cold fingers. I started working out and cycling, and then this all disappeared. I also drank alcohol a lot, so I can't really say what exactly helped.

AleksandarD
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Alexey,

I have the same problem! It's most likely caused by poor blood circulation, in my case, probably due to smoking. What I found that helps is wearing gloves, but that's not ideal as it gets in the way of using the keyboard and the mouse. Exercising helps to raise your body temperature or massaging your hands every time they start getting cold. 

~ Aleksandar
Upwork

Its not healthy to sit on the computer for so long. Sounds like you have a problem with blood circulation (but I am not a doctor so you should still speak with a doctor).

Stand up every hour for 5 mins. Walk around the house, check the mail, stretch your legs, arms, etc. Also I highly reccomend buying a stand up desk. I have one because I have issues with blood pressure and sitting down for so long time is terrible for me. With a stand up desk I simply place it on my normal desk and stand while working. It really does wonders and you can find cheap ones on Amazon for $150 - $200. 

Aleksandar D wrote:

Hi Alexey,

I have the same problem! It's most likely caused by poor blood circulation, in my case, probably due to smoking. What I found that helps is wearing gloves, but that's not ideal as it gets in the way of using the keyboard and the mouse. Exercising helps to raise your body temperature or massaging your hands every time they start getting cold. 

Did you consider quitting smoking?

petra_r
Community Member

Amanda L wrote:

You say that as if it is an easy thing to do... I'm fairly sure that if I hadn't found vaping (which I have subsequetly also quit) I'd still be smoking 2+ packs a day.

a_lipsey
Community Member

Petra R wrote:

Amanda L wrote:

You say that as if it is an easy thing to do... I'm fairly sure that if I hadn't found vaping (which I have subsequetly also quit) I'd still be smoking 2+ packs a day.

I don't say it as if it's an easy thing to do. You are presuming I think it's an easy thing to do because I asked the question. I am an ex-smoker myself. I know how hard it is to quit. But it's also an active addiction that's causing damage to the body. 

Hi Amanda,

Yes! I'm currently on my 7th day without cigarettes! Robot Happy

It happened before too, me trying to quit, but this time is final. No more.

~ Aleksandar
Upwork

Aleksandar D wrote:

WELL DONE!!!! Keep it up!

Aleksandar D wrote:

Hi Amanda,

Well done! I smoked heavily for 14 years and quit decades ago (after quitting and resuming a few times). Hardest thing I can imagine doing but it does get easier. Any time I count my blessings, having had the fortitude to stop smoking is high on the list. 

I quit smoking 10 years ago, and I often have dreams, where I start smoking again. And I always think: dammit, why did I do this, now I'll have to go through it again, quitting is tough. Then I wake up.

Aleksandr S wrote:

I quit smoking 10 years ago, and I often have dreams, where I start smoking again. And I always think: dammit, why did I do this, now I'll have to go through it again, quitting is tough. Then I wake up.

That used to happen to me, too. It stopped after about 15 years. 

Aleksandar D wrote:

Hi Amanda,

That is awesome! I hear you. I tried many times, and even went years between starting and stopping. The last time, when I would try to walk my dogs I'd be breathing heavily within a few minutes, I just felt like I was suffocating. 

The great thing is that your body can actually heal a lot of the damage done from smoking. Healing actually begins with 20 minutes of the last cigarette! 

You got this! 

Hi Aleksander

I wish you the best of luck.  Quitting smoking is very difficult.  Been there done that - not easy.

Thank you Aleksandar,

Agree with you on that gloves do not seem like a good solution, since it hinders the movement of the fingers. All that remains is to massage the hands, it also helps.

petra_r
Community Member

It used to happen to me. It stopped a few months after I gave up smoking. Do you smoke?

wwwalex
Community Member

Hi Petra,

I don't smoke and do sport 3 times a week. 

a_lipsey
Community Member

Alexey G wrote:

Hi Petra,

I don't smoke and do sport 3 times a week. 

Keep a warm cup of tea or coffee on your desk to warm your hands up. 😉 

lysis10
Community Member

I really think freelancers should work out for at least 30 mins a day doing whatever works for them. Sitting in front of a computer all day is the (kinda) new cancer.

I got a FitBit for xmas like 2-3 years ago and I'm addicted to the daily goals and graphs and charts. I make fun of people who get excited over Upwork badges here, but I get excited to see badges from the FitBit. lol I got a badge recently that said I walked the entire length of the continent of Africa 🙂

If you get all obsessed over things, I recommend a FitBit. It'll get you to work out. Working out will also help you sleep better, and sleep is important for mood and health too which translates to better output from you.

a_lipsey
Community Member

Jennifer M wrote:

I really think freelancers should work out for at least 30 mins a day doing whatever works for them. Sitting in front of a computer all day is the (kinda) new cancer.

I got a FitBit for xmas like 2-3 years ago and I'm addicted to the daily goals and graphs and charts. I make fun of people who get excited over Upwork badges here, but I get excited to see badges from the FitBit. lol I got a badge recently that said I walked the entire length of the continent of Africa 🙂

If you get all obsessed over things, I recommend a FitBit. It'll get you to work out. Working out will also help you sleep better, and sleep is important for mood and health too which translates to better output from you.

I love my Fitbit, and I got a desk for my bike trainer, and I got a desk that raises and lowers, and a folding treadmill so I can walk and work. Yes, I can walk and type at the same time. 

lysis10
Community Member

Amanda L wrote:

Jennifer M wrote:

I love my Fitbit, and I got a desk for my bike trainer, and I got a desk that raises and lowers, and a folding treadmill so I can walk and work. Yes, I can walk and type at the same time. 

I think I will get a standing desk at some point. I don't want to buy anything before I buy a house. I'm a minimalist. So many people nag nag nagged me to get a home gym during COVID but I don't want that crap in my house. I will probably get some equipment though when I finally move.

martina_plaschka
Community Member

Alexey G wrote:

You need to have that checked. Otherwise, use these gloves with the tips cut off. 

gilbert-phyllis
Community Member

Agree with Mary, you should consider checking with a doctor because there all kinds of things that could be causing it, some serious and some not. Raynaud's Syndrome, anemia, hypothyroidism, vitamin deficiency, lupus, arterial problems...

My hands get cold very easily in the wintertime and I find wearing fingerless gloves when working at my desk really helps. You might not think so, since your fingers remain exposed, but it helps.

shaunkahler
Community Member

Sounds like bad circulation. This can be remedied with aerobic exercise. I'd also recommend proper ergonomic eval - a good chair can make a world of difference.

365ed930
Community Member

Hi Alexey

I also spent the whole day at the computer (I am a writer) and my fingers tend to get ice cold too.  I know that this is a circulation problem.  As others have mentioned, we need to get away from the computer for a while, stretch, exercise, walk a bit.  Easier said than done when you are caught up with work!  But try.  Best of luck.

(PS: using a stress ball to exercise your hands/fingers while reading, not typing also helps warm up your hands)

kinector
Community Member

Alexey G wrote:

I've been sitting at a computer way longer than that more or less every day the past 7 years. I'm based out of a tropical island in Malaysia. My fingers get pretty hot every day, even from early morning on! 😎:desert_island:️🥳

I might recommend a change of climate. Welcome to Malaysia!

Shall I make the arrangements, Alexey?

Latest Articles
Learning Paths