cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

My fingers are cold when using my computer - solutions?

a_lipsey
Community Guru
Amanda L Member Since: Jan 23, 2018
21 of 29

Alexey G wrote:

Hi Petra,

I don't smoke and do sport 3 times a week. 

Keep a warm cup of tea or coffee on your desk to warm your hands up. Smiley Wink 

lysis10
Community Guru
Jennifer M Member Since: May 17, 2015
22 of 29

I really think freelancers should work out for at least 30 mins a day doing whatever works for them. Sitting in front of a computer all day is the (kinda) new cancer.

I got a FitBit for xmas like 2-3 years ago and I'm addicted to the daily goals and graphs and charts. I make fun of people who get excited over Upwork badges here, but I get excited to see badges from the FitBit. lol I got a badge recently that said I walked the entire length of the continent of Africa :-)

If you get all obsessed over things, I recommend a FitBit. It'll get you to work out. Working out will also help you sleep better, and sleep is important for mood and health too which translates to better output from you.

a_lipsey
Community Guru
Amanda L Member Since: Jan 23, 2018
23 of 29

Jennifer M wrote:

I really think freelancers should work out for at least 30 mins a day doing whatever works for them. Sitting in front of a computer all day is the (kinda) new cancer.

I got a FitBit for xmas like 2-3 years ago and I'm addicted to the daily goals and graphs and charts. I make fun of people who get excited over Upwork badges here, but I get excited to see badges from the FitBit. lol I got a badge recently that said I walked the entire length of the continent of Africa :-)

If you get all obsessed over things, I recommend a FitBit. It'll get you to work out. Working out will also help you sleep better, and sleep is important for mood and health too which translates to better output from you.

I love my Fitbit, and I got a desk for my bike trainer, and I got a desk that raises and lowers, and a folding treadmill so I can walk and work. Yes, I can walk and type at the same time. 

lysis10
Community Guru
Jennifer M Member Since: May 17, 2015
24 of 29

Amanda L wrote:

Jennifer M wrote:

I love my Fitbit, and I got a desk for my bike trainer, and I got a desk that raises and lowers, and a folding treadmill so I can walk and work. Yes, I can walk and type at the same time. 

I think I will get a standing desk at some point. I don't want to buy anything before I buy a house. I'm a minimalist. So many people nag nag nagged me to get a home gym during COVID but I don't want that crap in my house. I will probably get some equipment though when I finally move.

martina_plaschka
Community Guru
Martina P Member Since: Jul 11, 2018
25 of 29

Alexey G wrote:

I sit at a computer 7-8 hours a day - and even though the rest of me is nice and warm, my fingers are as cold as ice.

Who faced with the same issue and how are you dealing with it?

You need to have that checked. Otherwise, use these gloves with the tips cut off. 

gilbert-phyllis
Community Guru
Phyllis G Member Since: Sep 8, 2016
26 of 29

Agree with Mary, you should consider checking with a doctor because there all kinds of things that could be causing it, some serious and some not. Raynaud's Syndrome, anemia, hypothyroidism, vitamin deficiency, lupus, arterial problems...

My hands get cold very easily in the wintertime and I find wearing fingerless gloves when working at my desk really helps. You might not think so, since your fingers remain exposed, but it helps.

shaunkahler
Ace Contributor
Shaun K Member Since: Feb 18, 2019
27 of 29

Sounds like bad circulation. This can be remedied with aerobic exercise. I'd also recommend proper ergonomic eval - a good chair can make a world of difference.

365ed930
Shamila I Member Since: Oct 22, 2020
28 of 29

Hi Alexey

I also spent the whole day at the computer (I am a writer) and my fingers tend to get ice cold too.  I know that this is a circulation problem.  As others have mentioned, we need to get away from the computer for a while, stretch, exercise, walk a bit.  Easier said than done when you are caught up with work!  But try.  Best of luck.

(PS: using a stress ball to exercise your hands/fingers while reading, not typing also helps warm up your hands)

kinector
Community Guru
Mikko R Member Since: Dec 26, 2015
29 of 29

Alexey G wrote:

I sit at a computer 7-8 hours a day - and even though the rest of me is nice and warm, my fingers are as cold as ice.

Who faced with the same issue and how are you dealing with it?

I've been sitting at a computer way longer than that more or less every day the past 7 years. I'm based out of a tropical island in Malaysia. My fingers get pretty hot every day, even from early morning on! 😎🏝️🥳

I might recommend a change of climate. Welcome to Malaysia!

Shall I make the arrangements, Alexey?

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS