🐈
» Forums » Coffee Break » My job feed and no doubt other freelancers wh...
Page options
colettelewis
Community Member

My job feed and no doubt other freelancers whose job feeds are totally inappropriate

I am sick to death of my totally inappropriate job feed. 

Upwork I would be prepared to spend connects, to buy connects for jobs that are related to my skills. I can't even get rid of the connects that remain to me.  

I do not have any kind of writing skills in my profile and yet I keep getting low-budget suggestions for writing jobs that are not even remotely interesting, even if I did offer writing skills. I do not want to even look at jobs that ask for writers to vomit out "steamy romances" at $100 per 20,000 words. 

I keep getting job posts for video editors. I am not a video editor, graphic designer or any other related job. 

I do not translate from or into Chinese, Japanese, Russian, any one of the African languages, any one of the many other Asian languages, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese, or any of the Scandinavian languages. So please STOP posting these jobs in my job feed. 

I am sick to death of Upwork assuming that because I live in France, I am native French. So - I do not translate into French but from French into English. I do not proofread in French,  but in English. I am also a professional member of a highly esteemed chartered institute in London (England - in case Upwork has  problems recognizing where the original London is located). 

I am tired of being discriminated against (geopolitically) - and this has nothing to do with colour, but that comes into it too.

There is an underlying discrimination by a company (who claims to resist political, religious and racial abuse) but is happy to hand out dross jobs to any of the  African, Asian,  and  European Upwork freelancers, who are geoblocked and who are not playing on a level playing field. 

7 REPLIES 7
kochubei_valeria
Community Member

Hi Nichola,

I'm really sorry you're frustrated with what you see in your Job Feed and I believe you and I have discussed this before. I'd like to help you improve your feed and see jobs that match the criteria you set. The way it works by design currently is that jobs showing in the freelancer's Job Feed are based heavily on the searches the freelancer saves and what filters the freelancers uses in those saved searches. Essentially, the Job Feed combines those saved searches into one list that constantly updates. Saving more searches configured with various filters results in more precise Job Feed. I really think if you saved more searches applying categories and filters to define what you're looking for, you'll see improvements in the jobs you see in the feed.

Let me know if you need help with saving searched to your feed.

~ Valeria
Upwork

Really?

So why am I constantly receiving low-paid writing gigs when I don't offer writing as a skill, and if I did, my rates would be considerably higher. 

There  is no such thing on Upwork as language-pair recognition (as you can find in ProZ for example)

Geoblocking prevents me (and I am sure other freelancers who live in countries that they are not native to) from applying for jobs that I am qualified to do.

Upwork refuses to recognize my "expert" status in the skills that I have clearly laid out. There is no such thing as native language recognition. 

So Valeria, if you can help me on this - then go right ahead - because I have given up trying. 

Tried: French  to English translation -  I get anything from English  to French (the closest. But I don't offer that) and then every other language pair under the sun. 

(Then I tried all the other "French" permutations - nothing)

Tried: Editing and proofreading - I am geo-blocked on most of these jobs (whether US or UK)  So then I get video editing, transcription - you name it. 

Valeria, I very much resent your implication that I am not intelligent enough to get my searches right. The fact remains that, despite two specific profiles, I am not seeing appropriate jobs in my feed. In desperation I have specified my job searches (which incidentally, I am unable to delete - yes, you have told me how, but I get no delete option - only RSS or Atom. I don't do "cap-in-hand". I'm not going to ask more than once - and although I am still top rated,  I am no longer allowed to contact support - so there you go.). 

So, for example, to get rid of "copy-editing", that resulted in copy writing posts in my feed, I had to do a whole lot of searches based on other things like "history translation". "Copy-editing" has now fallen off my search leader board, but I am still getting writing jobs in my job feed. So - I really give up. 

Apologies to my fellow freelancers as I know that this is TDLR - but I am totally P****d off. 

Although this may not be the end of my rant ... 

Nichola, 

Could you please remove the search you currently have saved as shown here? It is just too broad and I believe that's why you're getting so many irrelevant jobs in your feed.

Then, could you please open these two links to searches I configured, one French to English translation and one for Editing and Proofreading and hit Save Search button you see on the right on each of them? Feel free to click Filters button before you save them and add/change anything else I haven't added but you'd like to see in a job posting. You can set filters for budgets, client history, payment verified, etc.

You could also create more separate searches for different keywords and with different filters and save them as well. I recommend using the category filter for something like "translation" or "editing and proofreading" instead of or in addition to using those words as keywords in the search bar.

I'd also like to note that whatever shows on the left hand under your Recent Searches has no affect on what's in your feed. It's just your search history and it's based on your browser cache and cookies. If you clear your cache and cookies that list will be refreshed. 

I hope this helps you see more relevant jobs in your Job Feed.

~ Valeria
Upwork

I can't remove it - or any of my searches. As I have already said - there is no delete button. I simply get RSS or Atom when I click on the three dots.   

However, French to English translation does not exist  in reality. It brings up every other kind of translation job, but not specifically French to English. I have set filters to budget, to expert and to anything else that is pertinent to my skills and NOTHING works.  Valeria, I am not posting this simply to complain or waste time. 

I regularly clear my cache and cookies, but I am not prepared to continue to do this - as every time I clear cache and cookies I have  to reset everything else on my computer. Upwork is not the sun I automatically revolve around. If I did - I would certainly have been burned to a crisp by now. And if Upwork is tracking my interests - it is doing a piss poor job of it. 

Nichola,

Could you please send me a screenshot of what you see when you click on the saved search you have right under My Feed tab and then click on the menu button (...) like on the screenshot I shared earlier? 

Also, in one of the searches I linked in my post earlier "French to English" was searched for as an exact phrase which should help focus the search on that language pair. 

~ Valeria
Upwork

Nichola L wrote:

I can't remove it - or any of my searches. As I have already said - there is no delete button. I simply get RSS or Atom when I click on the three dots.   

However, French to English translation does not exist  in reality. It brings up every other kind of translation job, but not specifically French to English. . 

But, Nichola, you'll be really pleased to hear that when a client searches for Demetrios L your profile pops up in third place! 

Maybe you should search Hamsters for Lilly to find French to English translation jobs?

Demetrios.png

Petra R wrote:

Nichola L wrote:

However, French to English translation does not exist  in reality. It brings up every other kind of translation job, but not specifically French to English. . 

But, Nichola, you'll be really pleased to hear that when a client searches for Demetrios L your profile pops up in third place! 

Maybe you should search Hamsters for Lilly to find French to English translation jobs?

Demetrios.png

I don't know whether to laugh or cry - Perhaps I should change my name! 

Latest Articles
Learning Paths