🐈
» Forums » Coffee Break » Re: My latest cold-call response
Page options
boshoffirene
Community Member

My latest cold-call response

I have, for years, received calls from a certain company that does a 'wine of the month' thing. I repeatedly decline. Last year some time they called again with this huge bargain whereby, if I was a member for X months, I would receive a hamper containing wine and other goodies. Well, I have repeatedly asked them to take me off their list because I was not interested. Ha! Then they called again. And I allowed the lady to go through her whole sales talk...and then said nope. She, as usual, was prepared for this and then started again. Once again I said nope...and before she could chip in, mentioned the fact I was a recovering alcoholic...(I'm not, so btw, although I am NOT adverse to opening a bottle around wine-o'clock). She said thanks for my time and goodbye, but did not hang up before I heard her say to someone "she's an alcoholic!" Towards the end of last year they phoned me AGAIN but, not wanting to beat around the bush, I simply said something along the lines of "look lady, I already told you guys I am an alcoholic so PLEASE take me off your list!!!" They haven't phoned again. But here is a new one... I got a call from a credit card company wanting to...you guessed it...give me a credit card. Now, I already have one, so why on earth would I want another? But my response was "Oh yes! Please! I'm so broke after Xmas I could do with the extra cash so I can pay off on my other credit card!" I really can't understand why the call ended just then.
15 REPLIES 15
mwiggenhorn
Community Member

My son randomly gets calls from "microsoft", telling him that his computer has a dangerous virus and they need to take control immediately to get rid of it.  When he tells them he doesn't have a computer, there's dead air...

Your son?

How is it that you don't get these calls yourself?

I thought most all of us were getting these "Microsoft" scammer calls.

I get the Indian IRS scammers and haven't gotten the "Sir, this is Steve from Microsoft sir."

There is this lawn company I hired once in 2018 and I cancelled. They called me nonstop several times a week sometimes several times a day to sell me. I asked them so many times to take me off the list, but they didn't. So, I went to their Google reviews, posted a one star review with a link to the FTC website where I reported them for calling me constantly. Magically, I was suddenly off their list. They called me once last year and once last week. If they start up again, I will slam them will Google alts with 1 star reviews with the same link and complaint. I'm fine if it's once and they go away, but these people were ridiculous.

I don't get spam calls very often because I have a program called No Mo Robo on the home phone.  It's free and even if I get a call, it rings once and gets forwarded to a recording that tells them to bug off.  Check it out.

Mary W wrote:

I don't get spam calls very often because I have a program called No Mo Robo on the home phone.  It's free and even if I get a call, it rings once and gets forwarded to a recording that tells them to bug off.  Check it out.

On your cell or your landline? I don't have a landline. 

There is so much soliciting in my new town. It's so annoying. Even the State Farm agent is annoying with the calls to sell me more stupid insurance. This crap never happened in Miami. Probably cuz they'd get robbed haha.

Jen, the free No Mo Robo is on my VOIP.  There is also a paid version for cell phones, but somehow I don't get scam calls on  my cell very often.

timefighter11
Community Member

One fine evening, 3 years back, when I was sitting in a master's class. I forgot to silent my old phone that I kept it with me to use my 2nd number before purchasing a duel sim phone. Network service provider company made a promotional call and phone started ringing. The professor was so strict about the discipline during the lecture. The worse thing is phone was ringing and I can't hang up the incoming call or make it silent due to some software issue in phone. It was freezed while keep ringing. Professor stopped delivering the lecture and all the people in room joined professor in staring at me. I ran out of the room while I could hear a blast of laughter behind my back. When I somehow silent the phone and back to lecture hall, professor insulted me sarcastically while everyone there enjoyed the show. That was my worst experience with these calls. I might be ok if it was one of my friend, family or work etc but that promotional call, ewwww ! 

I just tell them I have a whistle. They never stay in the line to find out if it is true and they do not call be again.

Do you think if we send enough money to the scammers and telemarketers, that eventually their greed will be satiated and they will stop calling?

bizwriterjohn
Community Member

We are so lucky.  We have our careers, can make money at home, and hopefully to the degree sustaining.  I cannot imagine being one of the ones who has to wake up every morning -- perhaps in a call center offshore - and face what is obviously going to be a horrid day.  To know, I am just pushing a product, have to read a script, most people will treat me meanly -- and as soon as one call ends, another number auto-dials.

"Listen, I understand your job is really hard and you have to go through a lot with people.  You maybe work on commission and only commission, so your bread and roof depend on calls like this.  I will be a kind person and ask nicely for you to stop now.  Take me off that auto dialer - and help me have a good day."

Works 100% of the time. 

versailles
Community Member

I'va pulled this counterscript on some of them and it's funny at times. At least you make them waste some time.

(Source: https://egbg.home.xs4all.nl/counterscript.html)

counterscript.gif

-----------
"Where darkness shines like dazzling light"   —William Ashbless

I had another Indian scammer on Saturday call me. I am still unsure where the scam was other than maybe robbery? Maybe you guys know...

He called me to tell me that I'd enter my name in an United Airlines raffle and I won a vacation of my choice to any city. Ok, fine I figure I would waste his time so that he has fewer people to call and scam. He gave me the address to a hotel not far from my old address. It was in the ghetto, but it was a real hotel. He told me I need to show up and it's important my husband (yeah I gave him all fake info) and I have to bring our driver's licenses and the name I gave him much match the license. He hounded a lot on the license aspect, so maybe that was the scam. 

He told me that I should go to the front desk, give them my license and make sure I get my license back (weird). That was it. I told him I would go. He never asked me for any CC info or any money. The only thing I could think of was robbery, but seems weird to get the hotel staff involved. He was definitely Indian. Indian call center scammer getting hotel involved with something? I tried googling and couldn't find anything. I looked up the hotel. I know what area it's in, but it's a real hotel.

The only thing I could think of was some time share scam or maybe they are just collecting driver's licenses.

petra_r
Community Member

When I first moved to Italy I didn't speak any Italian, so any sales calls were very short.

Ring Ring

Me: "Pronto"

Salesperson " ... something very fast in Italian..."

Me: "Non parlo Italiano"

Click

I keep getting calls from "Apple Service Center" which my spam filter doesn't catch.  I don't actually own anything made by Apple.

re: "I keep getting calls from "Apple Service Center" which my spam filter doesn't catch. I don't actually own anything made by Apple."

Maybe you misunderstood the nature of the call.

Screen Shot 2020-02-15 at 9.43.30 AM.png

Latest Articles
Learning Paths