Reply
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Reply

My latest cold-call response

Ace Contributor
Victor P Member Since: Jul 24, 2017
11 of 26

Preston H wrote:

Do you think if we send enough money to the scammers and telemarketers, that eventually their greed will be satiated and they will stop calling?


Do you think such a thing as `enough money` even exists for those people?

Community Guru
Irene B Member Since: Feb 17, 2015
12 of 26

*facepalm*...

 

I literally just got off my phone with my CURRENT cellphone company wanting to sell me a 'new' cellphone package (my current package was updated last November). 

Community Guru
Jennifer M Member Since: May 17, 2015
13 of 26

Bumping to share the hilarity of Indian call center scammers.

 

I got a robo call today, and I answered cuz why not? They're using voice apps to hide their accent. But the initial message was automated. The message was:

 

"Dear, your ATT account has been suspended for non-payment." LOL Cracked me up. They really like "dear."

Community Guru
Christine A Member Since: May 4, 2016
14 of 26
I had a telemarketing job for awhile, back when I was a poor and desperate student. We were only ever allowed to stop pestering people if they said that they were unemployed (supervisors would listen in on our phone calls and yell at us if we gave up too easily). Any other type of excuse (I'm not interested, I have no computer, I'm an alcoholic), and we had to put the person back onto the "call back and bug them again" list. So, if you want to get rid of a call centre person quickly and easily, just tell them that you're unemployed. They aren't interested in people with no money. Thank God I don't have to do jobs like that any more.
Community Guru
Jennifer M Member Since: May 17, 2015
15 of 26

Christine A wrote:
I had a telemarketing job for awhile, back when I was a poor and desperate student. We were only ever allowed to stop pestering people if they said that they were unemployed (supervisors would listen in on our phone calls and yell at us if we gave up too easily). Any other type of excuse (I'm not interested, I have no computer, I'm an alcoholic), and we had to put the person back onto the "call back and bug them again" list. So, if you want to get rid of a call centre person quickly and easily, just tell them that you're unemployed. They aren't interested in people with no money. Thank God I don't have to do jobs like that any more.

I'm gonna try this. Maybe tell them I'm 16. Lawwwd knows I sound like I'm 12 on the phone.

Community Guru
Christine A Member Since: May 4, 2016
16 of 26

Jennifer M wrote:

I'm gonna try this. Maybe tell them I'm 16. Lawwwd knows I sound like I'm 12 on the phone.


Nope, they'll just ask to speak to one of your parents or keep calling back until they get someone older. I'm telling you, the "unemployed" thing is the only way to get these people off your back.

Community Guru
Jennifer M Member Since: May 17, 2015
17 of 26

Christine A wrote:

Jennifer M wrote:

I'm gonna try this. Maybe tell them I'm 16. Lawwwd knows I sound like I'm 12 on the phone.


Nope, they'll just ask to speak to one of your parents or keep calling back until they get someone older. I'm telling you, the "unemployed" thing is the only way to get these people off your back.


aaah, good point. I'm gonna tell them I'm unemployed from now on. Smiley Very Happy

Community Guru
John B Member Since: Aug 20, 2015
18 of 26

I evaluate this as a mean response.  Personalities that consistently issue mean responses are great candidates for professional telemarking chairs.


John.

Community Guru
Petra R Member Since: Aug 3, 2011
19 of 26

Christine A wrote:

Jennifer M wrote:

I'm gonna try this. Maybe tell them I'm 16. Lawwwd knows I sound like I'm 12 on the phone.


Nope, they'll just ask to speak to one of your parents or keep calling back until they get someone older. I'm telling you, the "unemployed" thing is the only way to get these people off your back.


Unlike certain posters, people in call centers are actually paid to ignore the fact that their input is unwanted and irritating, so they have to keep going. Call center cold callers have no choice (other than to change jobs).

 

Apparently some people actually enjoy being call center cold callers and being detested by everyone they interact with. It takes all sorts, doesn't it?

Community Guru
John B Member Since: Aug 20, 2015
20 of 26

There are people who, no matter how much money they have, do not have enough money.  Granularity:

- The people we may talk to.  Do not have enough money.  They are cogs in what would be a terrible machine to us.

- Their supervisors.  Do not have enough money.   If they make $30k or more a year, I'd be shocked.

- The people that own the company.  They probably have enough money.

 

When I was younger salesperson --  and I wanted to toughen myself up from hostile rejection, I joined a call center that was calling on behalf of the "Policemans Benevolent Union" or something akin to this.  Donations would go this NPO.  At least 1/2 went to the call center.  There were mixed morals in that.

 

I lasted two weeks.  I assiduously did my job, had that calm steady voice, and would only get yelled at when people asked me nicely to take them off the list.  Only two did.  The supervisors didn't care.  One heard one of the calls.  He just nodded at me and went about his day.

 

In two weeks, I had faced more rejection than would ultimately happen in my multi-decades worth of selling career and ten particularly dry years trying to get a date.  (lol...)  I didn't have the right stuff for that job, though I did try hard.  The training took, however.  I was able to deal in professional circumstances, face balanced rejection, even to the point we endure on Upwork, and it does not feel abnormal.

To the point: is there ever enough money.  The people who own these companies will not be treated well by karma.  There is never enough good karma.


That's my take on it, at least.

 

TOP KUDOED MEMBERS