🐈
» Forums » Coffee Break » Re: My new profile (paraphrased)
Page options
colettelewis
Community Member

My new profile (paraphrased)

"Dear Clients,

My profile has been copied (stolen) too many times for me to continue showing my full overview. Please read my feedback to get an idea of my skills ..."

5 REPLIES 5
dzadza
Community Member

I'm ashamed to admit that I've never looked for copies of my profile. Being a graphic designer, and writing my profile overview myself - I doubt that anyone in their right mind would want to copy that.
On the other hand...I don't even know how to look for it on upwork...since my profile is not public...

Sanja D wrote:

I'm ashamed to admit that I've never looked for copies of my profile. Being a graphic designer, and writing my profile overview myself - I doubt that anyone in their right mind would want to copy that.
On the other hand...I don't even know how to look for it on upwork...since my profile is not public...

That in part, is my problem, I made it public.

However, Upwork insists that its regular freelancers verify their identity, but is quite happy to accept thousands of non-earning people who have no scruples about copying top-rated freelancers, which can actually can be extremely detrimental to the copied freelancer.

Apart from the fact that, if we are public, Google latches on to our profiles and attributes them to other Upwork freelancers (who to be fair, have not copied anything). My earnings and my address have been freely distributed (if incorrectly) across the Google board. So ... what can I say except to warn all serious freelancers not to go public on Google - which does not exonerate Upwork from blame who should have something in place to prevent continuous copying from taking place. 

I have changed my overview and set my profile to Upwork viewers only. But the damage has been done. 

Although mine has not been copied, I have pre-emptively set it to private - after 7 years of being public.  When I googled some of the language, many profiles appeared, although none of them included my language.  This has been going on forever and has been largely ignored by the only people who can fix it.  There is another thread on this today in the Freelancers forum.

So if you are public here you are automatically public in Google as well?

Sergio - YES.

The last time my profile was copied the **Edited for Community Guidelines** had the terminity to also use it for LinkedIn.  LI was on it within 24 hours and banned the thief. U., on the other hand, required a slew of ticket updates, inordinate amounts of screaming on my part, etc. before they slapped the thief's hand.

Setting my profile to U users only.  And the next time my profile is 'borrowed' I will be using the same language as Nichola is.

10,000 kudos to her!

Latest Articles
Learning Paths