cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Netflix Central - What are you watching?

Highlighted
Community Guru
Pandora H Member Since: May 11, 2010
1 of 91

I've been trying to catch up on threads here in CB, and have noticed several threads mentioning Netflix shows. To my surprise, there isn't a main thread (I searched). I figure this is a good topic for CB. So what are you watching? Got a favorite show? Itching for the next season of something? Watched something you want to recommend?

I finally broke down this late spring and bought a Netflix capable TV. Haven't owned a TV in more then a decade. 

I've watched a lot of content, but some things stand out:

Dark Matter - A Canadian Sci-Fi Opera series. One of the Creators had a big hand in the the Stargate franchise. Now watching Season 2 and really digging it. Big corp conspiracy, interesting cast, neat design. Season 3 is out, but not yet on Netflix.

Sci-Fi, Action

Strange Things - Awesome. If you grew up in the 80's and early 90's, this show is targeted at YOU. Season 2 has been announced.

Sci-Fi, Supernatural, Conspiracy

Black Books - A terrific early 2000's British Comedy about a small bookstore owner and his frends. Very dark. Very British. Lots of laughs if you like the genre.

Comedy, British

Sense8 - A very different show that defies definition. From the authors of The Matrix. Season 2 due to show up in mid 2017.

Sci-Fi, Cultural, Social Commentary

Misc HGTV home shows - Sorta cool if you like interior and exterior design. Warning, contains Reality TV junk. I watch for the wow factor.

Spotlight (Movie) - An awesome movie about the Boston journalist's who broke the 2001 scandal of priest pedephiles in Boston. I remember this, but just learned of the movie this last month when Netflix added it.

General Fiction, Drama

Supernatural - Love this show. Waiting for the new season (which was just on the air, so it could be a while). Have watched all the way through 3 times. Like classic rock? You might like this even if your not into the genre.

Sci-Fi, Supernatural, Action

Firefly - Canceled early, has dedicated fan base to this day. A rare sci-fi gem that Fox canceled. Different, funny, awsome. Joss Weden, need I say more. I saw this on TV back in the day, and was crushed when it was canceled. Serenity is also available.

Sci-Fi, Action

MadMen - A drama about the advertising industry in the early-mid 60's, in New York. Chances are, you have heard of this show if you live in the US. I just started watching, and it's good, in a "OMG did they just say that?" kind of way. If men acting sexist is something you have trouble watching, not recommended. I've cringed more times then I can count. Also recommended if your involved in the Advertising industry.

Drama, Culture, Vintage

Destination Unknown - Anthony Bourdain travels the world, again, via CNN. Better then his old show. The Iran episode was rivating, informative, and crazy moving. I cried.  I've heard he had lunch with Obama in the Grand Canyon this year. Hope that epside shows up eventually.

Travel, Food, Politics

Star Trek - Everything Star Trek including the re-boot movies. Paramount finally caved. Seriously doubt this needs an explanation.

Sci-Fi

Community Leader
Daniel B Member Since: May 4, 2016
2 of 91

Stranger Things was great, but I think everyone already knows that by now!

I just started 'Zoo' and I'm about halfway through. It's taken an odd turn I wasn't expecting. Some of the dialogue is a little cringy at times, but it's an enjoyable time killer.

Community Guru
Mariska P Member Since: Apr 27, 2015
3 of 91

Bates Motel. 

Community Guru
4 of 91

Stranger Things - I got sorta slammed with promotion emails from Netflix about this show, cause my viewing habits told them it was my kind of thing. For once, they were right.

Zoo - Is that a quasi-comedy involving animals taking over zoo keepers or something?

Bates Motel - I tried, really tried to like the American Horror show, and was really disappointed. Also, really grossed out. This reaction inspired me to totally NOT touch any current American horror show. Never really was all that into the orginal movie Pyscho though. I don't get the appeal.

Community Leader
Daniel B Member Since: May 4, 2016
5 of 91

Pandora H wrote:.

Zoo - Is that a quasi-comedy involving animals taking over zoo keepers or something?

Not quite. More super serious drama about the animal kingdom suddenly becoming self-aware and turning on the human race, with underlying "evil pharmaceutical" vibes.

Community Guru
6 of 91

@Daniel B wrote:

Pandora H wrote:.

Not quite. More super serious drama about the animal kingdom suddenly becoming self-aware and turning on the human race, with underlying "evil pharmaceutical" vibes.

Wow, I had no idea. Thanks for the additional info, Daniel. I should at the very least add this to my Netflix que for review. Self-aware animals + evil pharma! Sounds like an intersting combo.

Community Guru
Mariska P Member Since: Apr 27, 2015
7 of 91

@Pandora H wrote:

Bates Motel - I tried, really tried to like the American Horror show, and was really disappointed. Also, really grossed out. This reaction inspired me to totally NOT touch any current American horror show. Never really was all that into the orginal movie Pyscho though. I don't get the appeal.

Because I saw Psycho Bates Motel it  has an appeal as a background story.

Back in the day Psycho was really scary and it made me afraid of showering with the curtains closed. Hitchcock was the master of suspense. 

Grossed out? Well ya, you have to be a bit twisted to enjoy this type of thing and it's not even that bad. It's much more sedate compared to the gory movies my husband watches. 

Community Guru
Jutta B Member Since: Jun 7, 2016
8 of 91

Homeland. Just finished seaon 4 and watching season 5 on an online streamer.

Switching to Shannara after that.

Hated Bates motel. Couldn't stand Norman or his mother, they just made me want to strangle them both lol.

Yet again, being jetlagged as I am I am in a modd to strangle everyone lately. Woman Frustrated

Best show i've ever seen: Sons of Anarchy - by miles.

" The bond with a true dog is as lasting as the ties of this earth will ever be "
Community Guru
9 of 91

@Jutta B wrote:

Hated Bates motel. Couldn't stand Norman or his mother, they just made me want to strangle them both lol.

That makes me sorta wonder if the actors are actually doing something right. J/K. I came across a teaser for this show last night online, and for giggles, watched it. NOT queing the show on Netflix, for the 3rd and hopefuly final time.

(Sometimes I wish I could block a show entirely out of my Netflix account,  so that I never "accidently" que something I've already said no to)

Which has happend when they change the thumbnail photo for the show. Arg!

Community Guru
Jennifer M Member Since: May 17, 2015
10 of 91

Oh I liked Bates Motel! I'm waiting for the last season to get to Netflix.

I'm now watching The Shannara Chronicles. It's tweeny and acting ain't great but I watch this type of stuff while working. I save the stuff where I have to pay attention for after hours. It has Crixus from Spartacus though and that's all worth it cuz he is yummy.

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS