🐈
» Forums » Coffee Break » New Mom plus work
Page options
fikai
Community Member

New Mom plus work

Hello! How are the new moms struggling with getting back to work? I gave most of my clients a heads up about my pregnancy and most were supportive and promised to have me back when I got back but upon coming back some clients just ended my contracts which has sunk my income. I am now trying to apply for work with a 3-month baby and I am struggling. How did new moms here handle this?

ACCEPTED SOLUTION
b8881069
Community Member

Well first... give yourself a break, you have a new baby.

As someone who has freelanced through 2 newborns and now toddlers, remembering that you now have VERY different needs and limitations with your schedule and what you can take on is the biggest thing. We want to get back to things and think we can manage it all, but you'll just end up exhausted and overwhelmed.

This is in no way parenting advice, but getting my kids on a regular schedule helped me a lot. Napping, playtime, general "meal" times (even though I would just feed them whenever they wanted anything).

I worked (or slept) during their naps. I also had a few work chunks when they were awake and had a nice spot for them to hang out with me. But I did it at a consistent time every day so they would be used to it, and they were. My office is still in my living room, and even as I am typing, one of my kids is under my desk hanging out and the other is watching tv behind me.

I feel like the fact that babies love routines was the biggest asset I had. They always knew what was going on and I was able to define chunks of time to work.

You more than likely aren't going to be able to take on as much work as before, and you can't expect clients to... even care about the challenges of working with a baby so you also have to consider the types of clients you work with.

And obviously all babies are different so your baby might not take to anything I just said, and you have to figure out something new.

My main point is, you are a new mom, baby is going to go through A LOT of changes for a while, and trust me nothing prepares you for how crazy that can get and feel- Work as a freelancer is challenging no matter what, but now you have to get a little creative with your planning.

Congratulations on the little one, and good luck!

View solution in original post

12 REPLIES 12
ceefaeca
Community Member

I guess we are facing a job market impacts of recession right now. I am facing some issue too things got slow suddenly usually in Nov-Dec it used to be a high work months for me for some reason but this year it is little bit different. I have a hope things will get settled and we will be back 😅.

But congratulations for a new member in the family

b8881069
Community Member

Well first... give yourself a break, you have a new baby.

As someone who has freelanced through 2 newborns and now toddlers, remembering that you now have VERY different needs and limitations with your schedule and what you can take on is the biggest thing. We want to get back to things and think we can manage it all, but you'll just end up exhausted and overwhelmed.

This is in no way parenting advice, but getting my kids on a regular schedule helped me a lot. Napping, playtime, general "meal" times (even though I would just feed them whenever they wanted anything).

I worked (or slept) during their naps. I also had a few work chunks when they were awake and had a nice spot for them to hang out with me. But I did it at a consistent time every day so they would be used to it, and they were. My office is still in my living room, and even as I am typing, one of my kids is under my desk hanging out and the other is watching tv behind me.

I feel like the fact that babies love routines was the biggest asset I had. They always knew what was going on and I was able to define chunks of time to work.

You more than likely aren't going to be able to take on as much work as before, and you can't expect clients to... even care about the challenges of working with a baby so you also have to consider the types of clients you work with.

And obviously all babies are different so your baby might not take to anything I just said, and you have to figure out something new.

My main point is, you are a new mom, baby is going to go through A LOT of changes for a while, and trust me nothing prepares you for how crazy that can get and feel- Work as a freelancer is challenging no matter what, but now you have to get a little creative with your planning.

Congratulations on the little one, and good luck!

Hello Jessica,

I believe this response is very exact and I hope it gives Fiona K some courage. I am also a new mom, with a 9 months old baby and still find it impossible sometimes to even manage and look at my laptop. It is hard to balance your need to work and  taking good care of the baby... But as you advice sticking to a plan might be the case... Thanks for sharing your experience!

fikai
Community Member

Thank you, Jessica, I have started working on my routines, and I believe in due time we will be fine. motherhood is one of the hardest things I have experienced honestly. Sleep deprivation is so real! and my baby is a Cryer, he cries so much I cry as well. But we will be ok.
I appreciate your insight and advice 

a_lipsey
Community Member

Fiona K wrote:

Thank you, Jessica, I have started working on my routines, and I believe in due time we will be fine. motherhood is one of the hardest things I have experienced honestly. Sleep deprivation is so real! and my baby is a Cryer, he cries so much I cry as well. But we will be ok.
I appreciate your insight and advice 

Hugs and strength to you, new mama! 

I feel like nothing prepares you for the level of sleep deprivation that comes from having a baby 😂, I feel for you- my daughter was a cryer and while she is too cute for words right now, her first year was a challenge too.

allpurposewriter
Community Member

Time for some serious man-splaining. What you should do Fiona is ... listen to Jessica. That was a nice response , Jessica. Kudos. 

williamtcooper
Community Member

Hey Fiona, I raised two sons by myself while they were young. How did I do it - I just pushed through for them. I put them behind me in the room or in my lap while I worked. Please change your Title to match 2 or 3 of your Best Skills so you can be better found in search. Have an awesome day!

The difference between you and the OP is that you were never pregnant and you are not a new mom and you never will be. It was during her pregnancy that she lost her clients. She is not complaining about having children to raise. 

driawill
Community Member

I've been working with a wonderful company. During pregnancy they offered to reduce my hours because of some complications that I was having. They offered paid maternity leave and my supervisor checked in with me regularly to see how I was doing. My baby is now 4 months it has been and still is a struggle especially with getting sleep but I love my company and job.

fikai
Community Member

wow! thats an amazing company. Bless them for having a heart honestly. being a mom is so challenging 

8467c28e
Community Member

First and foremost, it's important to remember that being a new mom is a significant life change, and it's completely normal to feel overwhelmed and stressed during this time. It's important to give yourself some grace and take the time you need to adjust to your new role as a mom.

When it comes to finding work, there are a few things you can do to make the process a bit easier. Here are some tips:

1. Network - Reach out to your previous clients and see if they have any opportunities available. Additionally, reach out to any friends or colleagues who may have connections in your field.

2. Look for remote work opportunities - Given the pandemic, many companies are now offering remote work opportunities which can be a great option for new moms who want to work from home while taking care of their baby.

3. Consider part-time work - If you're not ready to jump back into full-time work just yet, consider looking for part-time work opportunities to help you ease back into work gradually.

4. Utilize your support system - Don't be afraid to ask for help from family and friends when it comes to taking care of your baby. This can help free up some time for you to focus on work.

5. Be flexible - Finding the perfect job may take some time, so be open to exploring different opportunities and being flexible with your schedule.

Latest Articles
Learning Paths