🐈
» Forums » Coffee Break » Re: Newbie saying hello!
Page options
kymleemurphy
Community Member

Newbie saying hello!

Hello! There, I said it. 

Just pulse checking the forums here to see how things go around here. I'm not so adept at lurking. I posted a scam thing in freelancers. Hindsight being what it is, maybe that should have gone here.

I digress.

Anything I should know outside of adherence to the community guidelines? 🙂 TIA 

13 REPLIES 13
yitwail
Community Member

Hello yourself and welcome. Not much to know except that the only requirement for a guru label is a certain number of posts, but moderators are Upwork employees so they have resources ordinary contributors can’t access, and one of their many duties is consolidating related threads so don’t be perturbed if you post about topics like connects or job success and your post reappears somewhere else.

Copy that John, and thank you! 🙂

data_divas
Community Member

Welcome!  Check these forums often as there is a  wealth of info here and better to learn from someone else having trouble than having it yourself.

Thanks Julie! That is for certain the truth. I've been scouring the forums for information for this very reason. 

Kymlee M wrote:

Thanks Julie! That is for certain the truth. I've been scouring the forums for information for this very reason. 

You will also find helpful hints for gardening, recipes for smoothies and, obviously as we are on an online platform, pictures of cats.  

Martina P wrote:

Kymlee M wrote:

You will also find  pictures of cats.  

Someone said cats!!!

"Baby""Baby"

creativedigit
Community Member

How come your name in the community is Kymlee and is Kym in your profile?

Maybe we can learn something from a newbie!

Welcome to the community!

Welcome Kymlee!  As with anywhere, you'll notice there's a wide range of personalities here. Spend just a bit of time here, and you'll pretty quickly learn "who's who and what's what."  Enjoy! 

So I figured out that when I preview your profile while logged-in to Upwork, this is how you show up:

logged-in.png

When I am not logged into Upwork, this is how you show up, with a "Kymlee M." instead of "Kym M." as your name, and with a Rising Talent badge!

logged-out.png

Mods: Out of curiosity, why/when does this happen?

Wassim T wrote:

Out of curiosity, why/when does this happen?

When someone changes / applies to change their profile name.

Either should be terms of service compliant because  common variations of a legal name (Jim - James, Tom - Thomas, Rob, Bob, Bobby, Robby - Robert) are perfectly fine.

Sorry for the late response, I’ve been offline for a few. I requested a name change, as I saw that people were going for shortened variations of their names like “Bob” for “Robert” or “Bill” for “William” etc. I prefer to go by Kym in professional settings. 🙂 it was approved through UW so I’m guess it’s allowed in this circumstance.

Hope that helps!
martina_plaschka
Community Member

Kym M wrote:

Hello! There, I said it. 

Just pulse checking the forums here to see how things go around here. I'm not so adept at lurking. I posted a scam thing in freelancers. Hindsight being what it is, maybe that should have gone here.

I digress.

Anything I should know outside of adherence to the community guidelines? 🙂 TIA 

Some profile critique: Your text is short, and twice you refer to things available on request. 

No client will do that. Nobody will write to you to request further information about you. Everything the client needs to know about you needs to be in your profile. 

The best way to learn how to create a great, job-winning profile is researching other freelancers in the respective field, and be in a client focused mindset when you write it. 

Duly noted Martina. Thanks for the critique. I will make the necessary revisions.
Latest Articles
Learning Paths