🐈
» Forums » Coffee Break » Not Your Typical Monday (at least not mine!)
Page options
colleenezzell
Community Member

Not Your Typical Monday (at least not mine!)

Well, in spite of feeling like I've been run over by a truck (physical therapy, and it was only an evaluation!), it has been a very good day. My typically lyin' cheatin' theivin' bathroom scale finally told the truth and admitted that I lost two pounds this past week (always weigh yourself before you get in the shower; wet hair weighs more than dry hair). Then as I was waiting for my torturer at the rehab center, I heard two ladies behind me discussing the recently published book of one of them. Being the shy flower that I am, I dug in my purse for one of my business cards and presented myself to the author. "Excuse me, I couldn't help overhearing your conversation and learning that you write books." "That's right, I write Christian fiction." "Well, I happen to be a book editor, and I'd be happy to possibly work with you." (Modestly presents card)
"Oh, that's great, I could use an editor! And I have a lot of friends who are writers, too. I'll pass your contact information on to them as well!"
"Thank you so much, I really appreciate it."
"I'm happy to do it."
Off I went to be beaten by my torturer...ah, therapist. 
Nothing in my business email yet, but I'll keep checking!
How was your Monday?

12 REPLIES 12
holymell
Community Member

I'm so sorry you were tormented! I hope the results are worth it for you.

I've thought of getting business cards, but I don't go anywhere. Used to go to writers groups and picked up some business there a few years ago. Perhaps I'll go back.

My Monday was spent working. Didn't leave the house. My partner is out of town and I'm solely responsible for cat wrangling.

I ate two boxes of Nutri-Grain Almond Butter Bars and am only now considering a shower. I've never spent a night alone. There's some demonic creature across the street that screeches from 6pm-4am.

It's uh... That about covers it. Ooh! And I wore my geeky posture protector proudly about the house. That was nice (scoliosis and desk work, as it turns out, are not the best combo!) and I scooped litter boxes.

If you read all of that, bless you.

Anyway, I hope you get lots of business and I hope your therapy goes well!

I read every word! The only experience I can relate to is wrangling with a house cat. I "kittysat" my daughter's spoiled rotten feline a couple a years ago and vowed "never again!" He would sit outside "his" bedroom (my spare third bedroom), deliberately wait until I had changed the litter, then go in and do his nasty business. And it's not like it was his regularly scheduled bathroom visit (his determination, not mine), it was whenever I changed the litter!

After two years, I'm still using my original order of 250 business cards, so you can see I don't do much shmoozing either. But like you, I may visit one of the writers' groups that meet every Monday at my local library. Nothing ventured, nothing gained.

I'm sure you realized that my whine (or whinge for our British audience) was tongue-in-cheek. I'm only a little sore and stiff from my eval; nothing worse than I feel every morning when I get out of bed. And I'm sure that six weeks of PT will help. I hope your posture protector is doing some good and I hope you're not too lonesome while your partner is out of town.

Great thread -- so far, Melissa gets the prize:

"I ate two boxes of Nutri-Grain Almond Butter Bars and am only now considering a shower. I've never spent a night alone. There's some demonic creature across the street that screeches from 6pm-4am.

It's uh... That about covers it. Ooh! And I wore my geeky posture protector proudly about the house. That was nice (scoliosis and desk work, as it turns out, are not the best combo!) and I scooped litter boxes."

I don't think I can top that. My Monday was dull.

Speakikng of demon creatures, however ... did anyone else see the job posting for a "witty ghost writer to help write a fiction about paranormal romance."?

I'm not making that up. 

I actually applied, but I probably won't get the job. I wrote, "Oh ... sorry, this is for a fiction writer. If it was non-fiction I could help you out. Just ask my friends."

I wasn't quick enough to realize that the client was seeking a ghost writer for a fiction about the paranormal. I know there's a joke there somewhere, but I wasn't quick enough to spot it.

moutcom
Community Member

Hi Colleen,

you're still alive and wating with impatience for a new start this week, so the torture must be good for business ! 

My Monday was unexpected-expected: i had an appointment with a bank manager, and it came out this morning that he is actually on vacation.

My father forgot his shirts in the laundry when he visited me, I had to deliver them with delivery service. Reason: he said he only got this ...
Then I went to the mall to buy a display port adapter, the shop didn't exist no longer and at Fnac is the part twice as expensive!
And finally I went to the pharmacy for the second time today to pick up a vitamin medication, which I had already submitted on Saturday; also miss here: The pharmacist could not decipher the writing of the doctor, and knew the best will not what that is for.

But the aquarium photo for petra, and a cheeseburger at McD, that went well!

--We, the unwilling, led by the unknowing, are doing the impossible for the ungrateful.
We have done so much, for so long, with so little, we are now qualified to do anything with nothing.
Mother Teresa

Oh my! What a drama-filled day! I can identify with the pharmacy fiasco. Our pharmacy calls when a prescription is ready for pick-up, but probably 90% of the time it really isn't ready - it was a robo-call, made by their computer based on the day the prescription was submitted and on when it SHOULD have been ready.

I am glad you got your photo, and I hope your cheeseburger was tasty.

tlsanders
Community Member

Well, here's something that says a bit about my Monday...when I saw this, I wondered why I was just seeing it today, and tried to remember what I did yesterday.

Now that I've figured out what day it is, it turns out that I spent half of it wrestling with a client I've been trying to separate from, and am now running behind on work for a client I want to keep.

@Tiffany S wrote:

Well, here's something that says a bit about my Monday...when I saw this, I wondered why I was just seeing it today, and tried to remember what I did yesterday.

Now that I've figured out what day it is, it turns out that I spent half of it wrestling with a client I've been trying to separate from, and am now running behind on work for a client I want to keep.

We had twin days yesterday. Oy. 

Tuesday is going swimmingly, though. My husband came back from out of town earlier than expected and surprised me... but he's the one who got the surprise when I swung pretty hard at the unexpected man crawling into my bed at 6am. Luckily, no damage was done (or unluckily if you consider the utter failure of self-defense I'd have been in the case of an actual intruder) and I'm really glad he's home. I went to the gym this morning for my dose of necessary torture and didn't die despite the kettlebells' best efforts. I ate a mortadella sandwich (take that, kettlebells!). I delivered early on a rather tedious project for a client I really like and started an interesting project for a client I'm on the fence about. And my kid gave me a giant hug and told me he loved me in front of his friends when I picked him up from school. Pretty fantastic stuff. 

Melissa, sorry ti be so late in responding to YOUR response, but I'm in full-time PT (Tu-Th) and OT (M-W-F) and when I get home, I just collapse! It looks like the best part of your day was the hug and declaration of love from your son, especially in front of his friends!

When my spouse was back in college after his stint in the Army, he was taking night classes because he had to work days to support his growing family (we had one child and another on the way). I tried to stay awake until he got home at about 11:30 pm, but I rarely made it. One night I fell asleep reading a biography of Queen Victoria (my role model), and when Spouse crawled into bed, he heard me say (although I was asleep) "Who is this who dares to get into bed with the Queen of England?" I still get teased about that, 50 years later!

datasciencewonk
Community Member

All I can say is...

I'm glad that yesterday is over. LOL.

Well, well, well ... so i guess this might be true :

montag1.png

Translation:

So far it is only known that you are dealing with a Monday.

At the moment, nothing can be said about the extent of the disaster!

--We, the unwilling, led by the unknowing, are doing the impossible for the ungrateful.
We have done so much, for so long, with so little, we are now qualified to do anything with nothing.
Mother Teresa

Yesterday was tedious and could have been boring if I had let it.

I was faced with an 8 hour (or more depending on traffic) drive from the cabin in the mountains, where I had just spent the last month with Spring cleaning and repairs back to my full-time home.  Did I mention I was travelling with a 15 year old cat that was not pleased to be leaving the fun and almost warmth of the Smokies for a boring, still frozen back yard in Ohio?

Of course daughter-in-law requested I make stops in Kentucky looking for an elusive, hard-to-find bourbon. 2 stops and I gave up. Then Siri wanted to reroute me and actually had me exit the freeway, crossover, and then wanted me to do a u-turn and go back the way I had just travelled. Sorry, Siri don't know what you were thinking.

I did avoid Cincinnati and Dayton rush hour and made good time home listening to an old Art Bell interview of Merle Haggard (circa 1997) and Mark Cuban's audiobook. That was great entertainment. Plus the trees in Tennessee were blooming - that was nice.

I arrived home to unload in very light snow - hey I thought it was Spring! This morning I discovered my furnace is broken - no heat!

Nope, wasn't my typical Monday at all and as Tuesday is winding down, I just found out I will be without heat yet until at least tomorrow. Oh well, I have a heated bathroom floor, a fireplace in the family room and a thick down comforter.

The weekend was spent prepping and painting and I got no paying work done. So here is me on a Monday scared out of my whits to leave my seat (side-tracked easily) catching up on what SHOULD have been done (the stuff that pays for the painting etc). The two rooms I tackled (one done and the other halfway) look like they took part in a demolition competition...while my arms and back ache! Huh! Getting old is NOT for sissies! I coulda finished both those rooms with time to spare for the stuff that pays the bills without breaking a sweat ten years ago!

Latest Articles
Learning Paths