🐈 Community
lisawerk

Oh Canada

I've been wanting to visit Canada for a long time. Really just because I don't like to fly but I want to go to more countries outside of the US. (If you're wondering, I've been to one other country - I walked across the border to Tijuana to drink when I was 19.) Since I can drive to Canada, yay! I'm about to be an international traveler.

Plus, Ryan Reynolds and Nathan Fillion are from Canada, so I know it must be a good place.

Our family vacation will take us through Toronto, Montreal, and Quebec City. What do I need to know? Do I have to start liking hockey? Should I brush up on my French? Will they hate me if I speak bad French? Will there be bears and maple syrup everywhere I turn? Do all the guys look like Ryan Reynolds? That's not a requirement, but I know my husband is hoping it's true.

Thanks in advance Canadians, and people that know what Canada is like. 

19 REPLIES 19
versailles

If you travel to Québec, they will not hate you if you don't speak French. They will love if you can say some words though. In Montréal you will be fine with English. However, this will not necessarily be the case in Québec City and certainly not outside of the big cities.

I would recommend that you make clear that you're an American and not an English Canadian. I've met people who admitted that they would act less friendly with English Canadians who can't speak French.

Also in Québec they won't give you maple syrup everywhere, but they will definitely try to have you eat their infamous poutine. Do whatever you can to avoid it without being rude. But if you have the choice between being rude or eat poutine, then run. If you run fast you have your chances. If you eat the poutine, you will not be able to run anymore, so run before they make you eat it.

They think the poutine is the best thing ever and they are absolutely convinced that everybody should try it and that when they try it, they will love it so much. It's not true. The poutine is the most horrible thing that human beings can eat.

Other than that, Canada is absolutely beautiful and Canadians are very nice people.

-----------
"Where darkness shines like dazzling light"   —William Ashbless

LOL!  

@Rene K wrote:

Also in Québec they won't give you maple syrup everywhere, but they will definitely try to have you eat their infamous poutine. Do whatever you can to avoid it without being rude. But if you have the choice between being rude or eat poutine, then run. If you run fast you have your chances. If you eat the poutine, you will not be able to run anymore, so run before they make you eat it.

After I stopped laughing, I googled poutine. That doesn't sound like anything that anyone should ever eat. I just need to take you with us, Rene. Both for the laughter, and for protection against poutine. 

René ,

Tu exagères! Poutine is delicious! I've never had it in Canada, but I tried it for the first time here in California a few months ago.

-Lena

Untitled

@Lena E wrote:

René ,

Tu exagères! Poutine is delicious! I've never had it in Canada, but I tried it for the first time here in California a few months ago.

-Lena

Maybe poutine is different in California. Maybe it's Americanized to the point of tasting very different from Canadian poutine. Maybe in Canada they make poutine with more masculine ruggedness. They have free healthcare there, so they can take bigger risks with their food. 🙂 

@Lisa W wrote:

@Lena E wrote:

René ,

-Lena

Maybe poutine is different in California. Maybe it's Americanized to the point of tasting very different from Canadian poutine. Maybe in Canada they make poutine with more masculine ruggedness. They have free healthcare there, so they can take bigger risks with their food. 🙂 

I assume poutine in California is fat-, lactose- and gluten-free.

~ Valeria
Upwork

@Valeria K wrote:

I assume poutine in California is fat-, lactose- and gluten-free.

Ok, then I assume it's an empty bowl. Because you just took away all the ingredients 🙂

-----------
"Where darkness shines like dazzling light"   —William Ashbless

Lisa, Canada - from the eastern coast straight to the west coast is fantastic. Gorgeous country; warm and friendly people - nothing at all to avoid ... except the dreaded poutine.

Rene is right - run away - run far and run fast.  🙂  Other than that - have a fantabulous time!!

Lol Lena

You and me both!

René wrote:

They think the poutine is the best thing ever and they are absolutely convinced that everybody should try it and that when they try it, they will love it so much. It's not true. The poutine is the most horrible thing that human beings can eat.

Other than that, Canada is absolutely beautiful and Canadians are very nice people.

I confess - I absolutely loved poutine - it is the most deliciously revolting thing one can eat. You have to try it once!

Back to Toronto and a few other places for a few days in July - can't wait!

evetodew

Come on, poutine can't be so terrible 🙂 The worst thing a human being can eat is called surströmming.

So, Lisa, if one day you want to visit Sweden (Swedes can be as lovely as Canadians), don't eat surströmming unless you want to have nightmares for weeks. And smell like sour fish for weeks 😉

I checked poutine. The ingredients don't look bad at all. In fact, it sounds tasty from what I read.

For everyone needing to Google surströmming -

https://www.google.com/search?q=surstr%C3%B6mming&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8

Looks like it might even put Spam to shame.  😉

mthornton-cpc

I love poutine!

I am now questioning the validity of all my life choices. 

@Melissa T wrote:

I love poutine!

Stick to your guns - I'll be right behind you! Though I confess I have never actually made it myself, just pigged out in the malls. 😉

Edited to add: The biggest disappointment I had when I first crossed the pond, were Hershey bars and Oreo cookies . . . somehow, they just didn't float my boat. Still, you can now get Oreo cookies (and icecream) in France! They seem to have a different taste over here.  

@Nichola L wrote:

@Melissa T wrote:

I love poutine!

Stick to your guns - I'll be right behind you! Though I confess I have never actually made it myself, just pigged out in the malls. 😉

Edited to add: The biggest disappointment I had when I first crossed the pond, were Hershey bars and Oreo cookies . . . somehow, they just didn't float my boat. Still, you can now get Oreo cookies (and icecream) in France! They seem to have a different taste over here.  

Nicola, we always want what we can't have, don't we? I sometimes wake up with a craving for a real Cadbury Fruit & Nut bar. Not the American version - the real UK version. It's so much better. I'm going to Paris in July and am already salivating at the thought of Berthillon glace. It's the best in the world as far as I'm concerned. And I'm very concerned! Smiley Very Happy 

I agree on Hershey's but I think as an Australian/Kiwi I'm spoiled by Cadbury. But I love Oreos! Their availability here is spotty so I always grab several packets when I see them.

Last weekend I made a complete impulse buy of blueberry Oreos (they were a pretty color) which were the most disgusting things I've ever eaten and I'm including liver in that statement.  So if you find them, don't buy them because you'll be depressed that you used your rare Oreo allotment on them.

@Jennifer D wrote:

I agree on Hershey's but I think as an Australian/Kiwi I'm spoiled by Cadbury. But I love Oreos! Their availability here is spotty so I always grab several packets when I see them.

@Christy A wrote:

Last weekend I made a complete impulse buy of blueberry Oreos (they were a pretty color) which were the most disgusting things I've ever eaten and I'm including liver in that statement.  So if you find them, don't buy them because you'll be depressed that you used your rare Oreo allotment on them.

I once worked for a magazine and we taste-tested a bunch of weird snack foods to do a review in the next issue. I can tell you, as gross as the blueberry Oreos were, they couldn't possibly hold a candle to the pumpkin spice Oreos. They tasted like bathroom cleaners smell. Horrid!! 

Ack.  That's awful.  Of course, I wouldn't have bought those because they didn't have pretty colors.

I'm a marketers dream Smiley Indifferent

@Melissa T wrote:

@Christy A wrote:

I once worked for a magazine and we taste-tested a bunch of weird snack foods to do a review in the next issue. I can tell you, as gross as the blueberry Oreos were, they couldn't possibly hold a candle to the pumpkin spice Oreos. They tasted like bathroom cleaners smell. Horrid!! 

Learning Paths