🐈
» Forums » Coffee Break » Re: Oh ****
Page options
a_lipsey
Community Member

Oh ****

I ranted about something on the Client subforum and look what happened. Durnit.

Basically I've complained enough to earn a title. Sheesh. Don't look at me, folks. 

Sorry...I'm going on round two of returning a faulty laptop and getting a new one and installing AGAIN everything for two client VPNs and servers AND all my crap.  

10 REPLIES 10
feed_my_eyes
Community Member

Amanda L wrote:

Basically I've complained enough to earn a title. Sheesh. Don't look at me, folks. 

Uneasy lies the head that wears a crown.

florydev
Community Member

Amanda L wrote:

Sorry...I'm going on round two of returning a faulty laptop and getting a new one and installing AGAIN everything for two client VPNs and servers AND all my crap.  

Wait, Amanda did you take away my FEATCON...oh, whew, there is my big head.

kbadeau
Community Member

Mark F wrote:

Amanda L wrote:

Wait, Amanda did you take away my FEATCON...oh, whew, there is my big head.

Your big head doesn't stay up there long enough for me to read the entire quote lol.

Amanda, not sure if it's too late or  if it would help,  but I buy Carbonite every year.  It constantly saves everything to the cloud.  When I get a new laptop, I click a couple of buttons and everything is there (except, I think, videos which I don't have anyway).

Everything is on the cloud, but I will check into Carbonite to see if that makes it easier.   Honestly, the biggest problem was  syncing my Endnote library, which has around 10k references and takes  HOURS to sync the first time.  

Then there was an issue because I had upgraded the bad laptop to  Windows Pro, but it was a digital license, and there's no way to transfer a digital license. But finally I got an actual MS rep to say "oh we just refund it and you can repurchase for the new machine."  Honestly, it doesn't normally take this long it's just that I had just spent like 2 days worth of working time this week trying to get the bad laptop fixed - dealing with drivers and BIOS updates and preference settings, and I finally realized that it wasn't me, it was the durn machine.  But then when you're already that far in and it's 30 more minutes to set up a new machine...it feels  like it's been centuries getting a machine to work, lol.  Yes, I'm whining.  Isn't that what Gurus do?

lysis10
Community Member

Amanda L wrote:

Everything is on the cloud, but I will check into Carbonite to see if that makes it easier.   Honestly, the biggest problem was  syncing my Endnote library, which has around 10k references and takes  HOURS to sync the first time.  

Then there was an issue because I had upgraded the bad laptop to  Windows Pro, but it was a digital license, and there's no way to transfer a digital license. But finally I got an actual MS rep to say "oh we just refund it and you can repurchase for the new machine."  Honestly, it doesn't normally take this long it's just that I had just spent like 2 days worth of working time this week trying to get the bad laptop fixed - dealing with drivers and BIOS updates and preference settings, and I finally realized that it wasn't me, it was the durn machine.  But then when you're already that far in and it's 30 more minutes to set up a new machine...it feels  like it's been centuries getting a machine to work, lol.  Yes, I'm whining.  Isn't that what Gurus do?

I expect more from a community guru.

lysis10
Community Member

Amanda L wrote:

Grats. Now you get to answer responses like "Gurus are rude!" and "I expected more from a community guru!"

And then you just think "oh, sweaty, I don't put any effort into poop posting on internets. It's so precious and cute that you think I would."

Mary,  are you using the personal or small business version of Carbonite?  I believe Webroot, which I use, is a subsid. of Carbonite so it makes sense for me to explore it further.

Wendy C wrote:

Mary,  are you using the personal or small business version of Carbonite?  I believe Webroot, which I use, is a subsid. of Carbonite so it makes sense for me to explore it further.

I'm glad something useful is coming of this  whiny post of mine. 

Wendy, I am using what they call "Safe Basic", which seems to be $71.99/year but they always offer a couple of free months if you renew early.

Latest Articles
Learning Paths