Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

One of those feel good moments...

Highlighted
Community Guru
Daniel C Member Since: Nov 21, 2010
1 of 13

A few times each month I notice job postings along the lines of "__BLANK__ developer needed!"  

__BLANK__ being a software application that I created several years ago.  I convinced my employer (at the time) to let me create it and now it's creating jobs here on Upwork and on Elance.

Every now and then a client will ask me if I've heard of it.  Cat Very Happy

It feels good every time I see it pop up in my job feed.  I giggle when I see other freelancers list it as one of their skills!

I feel like I'm making an impact on the world, even if it's small.  Smiley Happy

Community Guru
Mariska P Member Since: Apr 27, 2015
2 of 13

That's cool Daniel! I hope you made a bundle from your creation!!!!

Community Guru
3 of 13

"That's cool Daniel! I hope you made a bundle from your creation!!!!"

Haha, no.  Business people are shiesty so I got shafted.  Cat Frustrated  Lesson learned!  Smiley Wink

Community Guru
Jennifer M Member Since: May 17, 2015
BEST ANSWER
4 of 13

That's cool, Daniel. Very cool indeed.

My ex-bf who was a trust fund baby until a few years ago and clueless about life pinged me to say "I am tired of people making a lot of money off my code." ha... you're singing my song, buddy. Welcome to life.

A while ago, my coworker and I came up with this email generation form that helped the company we were working for collect money from past due accounts. I can't remember how many accounts we pulled, but the company collected $2million from it. He and I made a few hundred bucks and they made $2million. /cry

Community Guru
5 of 13

Yep!  I was shocked the first time it happened!  After a few dozen times I realized that I needed to stop doing business people favors.  You can't trust them because their words are worth nothing.  Their actions say it all!

One time, I created software that helped a real estate broker go from 0-3 leads per day on average, to over 60 per day.  Later, some other business people approached me and asked if I could do something like this broker was doing.  I'm like, yeah, I created that system for them!  They just found out because it was pretty much collecting all of the leads available in the area.

Anyways, long story short...  They shafted me for $20,000 that they owed me.  I ended up settling for a couple thousand.  They couldn't find anyone to maintain what I created and it eventually fell apart.  I get a call from him about once a year begging me to work for him.  He's sobbing on the phone because his business fell apart.

I don't know how much money that I've lost over the years.  Going forward, however, I am in a good position and I expect to be doing really well in the next year or so.

$2million for a few hundred dollars?!?  Doesn't get much shiestier than that!  Smiley Frustrated

Community Guru
6 of 13

feeling sorry.jpg

Community Guru
Jennifer M Member Since: May 17, 2015
7 of 13

I think I read that DIgg was made for $100 from a guy on Elance. How badly do you think that dev is kicking himself? LOL

Community Leader
Michael Z Member Since: Jul 19, 2015
8 of 13

These kind of things always make me wonder about the "what ifs". 

Similar thing:
I currently own multiple domain names that I obtained early during registration. These range from normal GTLD .com domains to .tech/.io. Most notewhorty include some of (not major) common cities in various countries (including the US) and some specific terms.

For some of these domains, I've had small offers (compared to what I'd expect). 
The reason I've never decided to sell any of these, is of the exact same situation described above. I don't want to end up selling a domain and then in 5 years have it be some "major" website. Would make me feel like I missed out on something.

Ace Contributor
Alex I Member Since: Jun 12, 2015
9 of 13

Wah Daniel, I admire you for beeing so good at what you're doing.

I'm curently at the 18$/hour mark, and with wordpress i can't seem to go much further, although the client base is huge. Do you have any suggestions for getting where you are? Smiley Happy

Thanks!

Community Guru
10 of 13

@Alex I wrote:

I'm curently at the 18$/hour mark, and with wordpress i can't seem to go much further, although the client base is huge. Do you have any suggestions for getting where you are? Smiley Happy

Um...  I raised my rates based on the golden ratio and psychology.  The sort order changed and other UI updates changes the psychology.  Supply vs. demand rather than value based pricing.

I would find a niche and use the blue ocean strategy.  I don't really make it obvious what my niches are but it helps a lot having them.  Make the competition irrelevant and then you can charge pretty much whatever.

Soft skills are more valuable as a developer than technical skills.  You have to imagine that the person is paying you is losing $200/hr + your rate to talk to you, so don't waste their time.  If you make it easy to understand and communicate details with the expectation that you will understand, then you are saving them $218/hr.  I don't know what their time is worth, but it's always worth more than yours.

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS