🐈
» Forums » Coffee Break » Re: Paris
Page options
mwiggenhorn
Community Member

Paris

I am weeping, watching the beautiful Notre Dame de Paris in flames.  What a tragic loss.  My heartfelt sympathy to everyone who has held this exquisite church in their hearts.

8 REPLIES 8
colettelewis
Community Member

Me too, Mary and thank you for posting this. Everyone is in complete shock here. 

creativedigit
Community Member

Today is a very sad day 😞

Extraordinary. I absolutely cannot look. 

I have no words.

versailles
Community Member

They want to restore it in five years. That's a heck of a challenge. It's not about money, they have evaluated the costs to be in the vicinity of 1 billion on €/$ and that money is almost already on the table due to generous donors. It's about all the skills needed. I know squat about cathedral building, but there are guilds in France such the Compagnons du tour de France which trains highly skilled craftsman who work on medieval buildings, among other things. I think they don't will not have to worry about finding gigs for some years...

-----------
"Where darkness shines like dazzling light"   —William Ashbless

Apparently, they will have to restructure the roof because there are no longer trees in France as tall as the original trees used.  Hopefully, it will be done quickly and safely.

Mary W wrote:

Apparently, they will have to restructure the roof because there are no longer trees in France as tall as the original trees used.  Hopefully, it will be done quickly and safely.

I wonder if it will reconstructed as before. It has an interesting history as it was substantially restored (mostly) by Viollet le Duc, in the 19th century who wanted to keep as closely as possible to how he imagined it would have been built the medieval era, but his imprint was unmistakeable in the Gothick (with a 'k') style. Unfortunately, the materials he replicated could not withstand the sort of fire that took hold a couple of days ago. 

I think they restored Reims cathedral with modern materials after it was almost destroyed during the First World War.  But perhaps the phoenix will take on a different shape? 

Some weirdo (me, for example) could come up with the idea of a giant transparent dome that would keep it as it is now forever.

Other than that, it is a pain deep inside to have lost such a beautiful and precious cathedral.

goriyaz
Community Member

Every time I go to Paris, I'm always in a hurry. But two years ago, for once, I took the time to walk in the city to see again the places I love. Of course, Notre-Dame was on the top of my list. And I'm looking forward to see her rising again in few years. The worst has been avoided so I remain optimistic!

IMG_1014.JPG

Latest Articles
Learning Paths