🐈
» Forums » Coffee Break » Paying for work in "nature"
Page options
h3hdv7rlssvtxxzp
Community Member

Paying for work in "nature"

Things could perhaps not be more weird when you read that a prospective client is proposing to pay "in nature" for a work done. This may sound more dramatic than what it was, yet it was real. Her proposal was to offer a holiday of some kind and "something more" for the gig.

Of course, one could not do much more than decline the offer. Also, I think, this kind of proposal from a client would fall well out of the boundaries of the policies and what could be considered to be appropriate behavior from a client.

Is this something that happens a lot?

7 REPLIES 7
yitwail
Community Member

Was English the client's native language? It sounds like she meant payment in kind, which Upwork TOS wouldn't allow. I personally have never received an offer of that kind, and I would think it's highly unusual.

Ok

martina_plaschka
Community Member

Kristo H wrote:

Things could perhaps not be more weird when you read that a prospective client is proposing to pay "in nature" for a work done. This may sound more dramatic than what it was, yet it was real. Her proposal was to offer a holiday of some kind and "something more" for the gig.

Of course, one could not do much more than decline the offer. Also, I think, this kind of proposal from a client would fall well out of the boundaries of the policies and what could be considered to be appropriate behavior from a client.

Is this something that happens a lot?

Well, it does sound highly irregular, and I wonder what kind of services she was willing to provide in a nature setting, and how upwork would receive it's fair share of it. 

I had it previously confirmed that "presents" are not forbidden (over and above the payment for the work which goes through Upwork, of course)

If it's "part of the payment" it jumps right into "TOS violation" territory but sometimes clients may want their freelancers to find the right words for their translations by sending some "samples" 😉

Petra R wrote:

I had it previously confirmed that "presents" are not forbidden (over and above the payment for the work which goes through Upwork, of course)

If it's "part of the payment" it jumps right into "TOS violation" territory but sometimes clients may want their freelancers to find the right words for their translations by sending some "samples" 😉

Now I am hoping for a translation about some cheese or wine.

I don't mind a client paying me au naturel, as long as I don't have to work au naturel.

Richard W wrote:

I don't mind a client paying me au naturel, as long as I don't have to work au naturel.

They might be willing to pay extra for that. 

Latest Articles
Learning Paths