🐈
» Forums » Coffee Break » Re: Percent of work on platforms vs. independ...
Page options
allenwatson23
Community Member

Percent of work on platforms vs. independent contracts

Hey all, I was just curious about how much of your freelance work comes from sites like Upwork versus off-site contracts you may have gained through networking.

I'm currently at around 20% from Upwork and 80% from clients I've connected with off of platforms like this.

Hope all is well!
11 REPLIES 11
mwiggenhorn
Community Member

My numbers are pretty much like yours.  I have one off-platform client who has been keeping me really busy the last six months or so.

Same here. My main off-platform client is pretty much a full time job.
msublette
Community Member

About the same. 80% off platform and 20% from Upwork.
lysis10
Community Member

I just lost a $12k/year contract off platform and I'm still bummed about it because it's been a nice 2.5 year ride. I will make up for it somewhere, but I've calculated everything all over the place because I'm psychotic when it comes to money. Upwork is 90% of my income with about 10% of my income coming from a couple other sources.

I keep saying I will reduce that number, but it's gotten so easy and Upwork is good to me, so yeah... Upwork, don't go under or yer girl is gonna have to get a Chaturbate account.

Jennifer M wrote:

I just lost a $12k/year contract off platform and I'm still bummed about it because it's been a nice 2.5 year ride. I will make up for it somewhere, but I've calculated everything all over the place because I'm psychotic when it comes to money. Upwork is 90% of my income with about 10% of my income coming from a couple other sources.

I keep saying I will reduce that number, but it's gotten so easy and Upwork is good to me, so yeah... Upwork, don't go under or yer girl is gonna have to get a Chaturbate account.

We'll keep our fingers crossed.  At least they didn't lose as much $'s in 2018 as they did in 2016. 2017 appeared more hopeful but unfortunately was still a loss.  

Pat M wrote:

We'll keep our fingers crossed.  At least they didn't lose as much $'s in 2018 as they did in 2016. 2017 appeared more hopeful but unfortunately was still a loss.  

Fingers crossed for sure. I was there when Demand Media went under and it was not fun. I have programming to fall back on, but I'm probably rusty and would have to take a pay cut.

Dang, hate that you lost that contract.
alphazomgy
Community Member

100%. I outgrew my off platform clients and I haven't done any local networking.  

e_luneborg
Community Member

I do all of my work through Upwork now. Last year I paid an average of 6% of my earnings in fees to Upwork, and so far this year I'm at 4%. Also I never have to spend any time finding clients, as they find me and invite me here. Can't see any reason why I would work outside of the platform. 

IMO diversification is key; not only regarding investments.   

I 100% agree with this. I have a client that is pretty much like a full time job off platform, but I keep some here and keep looking for the next big client. You never know when client will disappear.
Latest Articles
Learning Paths