🐈
» Forums » Coffee Break » Perfect compositions...
Page options
reinierb
Community Member

Perfect compositions...

Can you think of a piece of music that is so perfect, that it cannot be improved by anything you add or take away from it? 

I'm sure there are many such compositions, but just at the moment, I can think of ;

Puccini's Nessun Dorma, and David Gilmour's Learning to Fly. Wait, then there is Neil Diamond's Canta Libre, and Led Zeppelin's Stairway to Heaven. Or what about the Humming Chorus from Madame Butterfly, or Leonard Cohen's Hallelujah? Or the Moonlight Sonata? 

What about you, do you think some musical compositions are perfect? 

ACCEPTED SOLUTION

@Reinier B wrote:

@Avery O wrote:

HAH! I raise you, Somebody to Love

(I am so enjoying this thread!)

@Michael S wrote:

@Avery O wrote:

How about Bohemian Rhapsody?

I'll see your Bohemian Rhapsody, and raise you Don't Stop Me Now.

I'll see you both, and raise the stakes to Pink Floyd's The Final Cut. See if you can beat that! 

Comfortably Numb

View solution in original post

24 REPLIES 24
jmlaidlaw
Community Member

Speaking of Hallelujah, I am quite partial to the Roche Sisters' version of Handel's Hallelujah Chorus.

Count me in for Elvis Presley's "Love Me Tender," also.

I can't tell you becasue every time I go to symphony everything I hear is perfect (in other words I have good ears, but no musical talent).  True story.  My son played Bb clarinet.  When I was calling the stores about the prices I would ask,"Do you sell 'Bee bee' clarinet ?".

michael_skaggs
Community Member

This is a tough one, because there are so many contenders that I'm gonna have to make a concerted effort to not write a small novel. I'll try to go with just a few different examples, but we'll see how that goes, heh.

Guess I'll start with my current favorite and wander about from there...

Kevin Penkin - Hanezeve Caradinha

Anyone who recognizes this track from Made in Abyss (making them a fellow anime nerd) knows exactly what I'm talking about. Stylistically, seems to take a lot of inspiration from Hans Zimmer's Now We Are Free from the Gladiator soundtrack (which also deserves a spot on this list), from the lyrics being in a constructed language to the overall feeling you get when listening to it. But while it takes a lot of stylistic cues from Zimmer, Penkin makes this song his own, including adding a few modern synthesized flourishes instead of a strict orchestral/choral arrangement, and Takeshi Saito's vocals are a perfect match for Penkin's melody. Even taken completely out of the context of the series, the track evokes a sense of mystery, discovery, and wonder, with small hints of tension. The entire soundtrack is amazing, but this particular selection managed to send chills up my spine without ever knowing anything else about the series.

Andrea Bocelli & Hayley Westenra - Vivo Per Lei

Sadly, I can't find a good studio recording of this version, but I like it better than the original duet with Giorgia Todrani. Bocelli's powerful and emotional tenor pairs effortlessly with Westenra's soft, angelic soprano, giving you a stunningly beautiful love song to music itself.

John Williams - Theme From Jurassic Park

A classic that everyone knows. Effortlessly blending an entire range of emotions from fear and tension to awe and grandeur, with small hints of quiet, tender moments. It really doesn't get much better than this.

Joe Hisaishi - ...well, almost anything he's done, really...

Often referred to as "The Japanese John Williams", Hisaishi's long-time collaboration with director Hayao Miyazaki have resulted in some of the most memorable scores in recent memory. It might seem like I'm exaggerating, but I don't believe so. Miyazaki's films are artistic masterpieces in their own right. But when Hisaishi's music is added, the combination becomes the closest thing on Earth to true magic. If you can find a copy and are willing to pay the steep prices on imports, the bluray of the Studio Ghibli 25th anniversary concert is worth every penny. Stunning orchestral performance conducted by Hisaishi himself, who is clearly enjoying every note. Two hours spent feeling almost every emotion in the book.

Marylin Manson - Coma White

Probably a bit unexpected, given the rest of this list. Say what you will about Manson, but he knows what he's doing in the studio. Hauntingly beautiful while still in keeping with Manson's overall style, there's not really any warmth or comfort to speak of. But even so, it all comes together into something even his detractors have had a hard time coming up with criticism for.

Kensuke Ushio - lit(var)

From the end of A Silent Voice, the track name makes no sense (nor do the rest of them, by choice, apparently), but it's a beautiful work nonetheless. The first couple of times I heard it, the mechanical sounds of the old piano seemed out of place...some light buzz from a few strings, the slight crunch and thump from some of the keys... but the more I listen, the more that added complexity compliments the simple melody. By the time the rest of the instruments come in, it's a catharsis that matches the film itself. Almost as quickly as they came in, the other instruments drop out, leaving only the old piano to slowly bring the melody to a close with no fanfare. It bookends a highly emotional film (that starts out with The Who's My Generation) with the musical equivalent of a warm hug, and a promise that everything will be okay.

I could probably list a ton more, but I promised to try to keep this from being a novel, and it's getting dangerously close to becoming one.

Vivaldi - the Four Seasons

Bach - Brandenburg Concertos

Almost any Gregorian chant if done well

Anything recorded by the late Eve Cassidy.  Anything.

Swan Lake for sure

The theme from Out in Africa

AveryO
Community Manager
Community Manager

~ Avery
Upwork
reinierb
Community Member

@Avery O wrote:

...or Who Wants To Live Forever?  

@Avery O wrote:

@Michael S wrote:

@Avery O wrote:

~ Avery
Upwork
reinierb
Community Member

@Avery O wrote:

@Michael S wrote:

@Avery O wrote:

I'll see you both, and raise the stakes to Pink Floyd's The Final Cut. See if you can beat that! 

@Reinier B wrote:

@Avery O wrote:

@Michael S wrote:

@Avery O wrote:

Comfortably Numb

@Michael S wrote:

@Reinier B wrote:

@Avery O wrote:

@Michael S wrote:

@Avery O wrote:

Comfortably Numb

To the Last Whale: Critical Mass - Crosby, Stills, & Nash 

~ Avery
Upwork
yitwail
Community Member

Blue in Green from Kind of Blue by Miles Davis, though it’s jazz so it’s largely improvised. but spontaneous composition is still composition.

I should include popular music so I’ll nominate Tomorrow Never Knows by the Beatles, though it’s something that couldn’t be performed live.

I might as well choose a Western classical piece so prelude from Partita #3 for violin by JS Bach will do.

Musical perfection? I'm not sure I'm the one to award that prize. I just know the things I keep coming back to that don't seem to wear out with repeated listening. 

One I like is a Satie-inspired piano piece from the soundtrack of the French movie Diva: Vladimir Cosma’s Promenade sentimentale.

And, to my mind, perfection is about the combination of singer, song and instrumentals. And whatever magic happens when you mix those things together.  

A favorite is Cassandra Wilson singing Robert Johnson’s Come On in My Kitchen accompanied by Brandon Ross on soprano guitar.

madison-russell
Community Member

Honestly, anything by John Williams is absolutely incredible and I love him so much, but my current favorite composition of all time is actually "Circle of Life". Not a classic piece like most people have listed, but the music is just absolutely wonderful.

@Madison R wrote:

Honestly, anything by John Williams is absolutely incredible and I love him so much, but my current favorite composition of all time is actually "Circle of Life". Not a classic piece like most people have listed, but the music is just absolutely wonderful.

Since I mentioned Hisaishi (the "Japanese John Williams", as some call him), I'd be remiss in not giving an example. This one's not from a Miyazaki film, but still amazing nonetheless. Not as "epic score" as Williams, but I think you'll enjoy it nonetheless. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WDH_nJM3djc

J.S. Bach Cello suite in G ( Yo Yo Ma) and pretty well everything else by J.S. 

Chopin Berceuse (If anyone is a pianist this is the total challenge!)

Gershwin Rhapsody in Blue

Nina Simone "I wish I knew how it would feel to be free" (and others by her of course)

Too many others to list here! 

@Nichola L wrote:

Nina Simone "I wish I knew how it would feel to be free" (and others by her of course)

That's the problem with a topic like this, which is why I never contributed to the favourite art thread. There are just too many paintings that speak to me, and choosing one, or ten, or fifity, is impossible.

The same thing is true of music. As Renata said, perfection is the combination of the melody, lyrics, the voice(s), but for me, my state of mind at any particular moment is what makes music either perfect, or just background noise that irritates the .... out of me. Even Roger Waters can be irritating at times, but never when I need to hear him.     

Nichola, "J.S. Bach Cello suite in G ( Yo Yo Ma) and pretty well everything else by J.S. "

Over dinner one night, Cannonball Aderly told me that J.S. Bach was the best jazz composer who ever lived. I believe him.

Perfect:

Webern String Quartet Opus 28. Literally everything is serialized.

John Cage, 4'33", empirically perfect.

Bill, you had dinner with Cannonball? That must have been pleasant. I have the impression that he was a genial sort, which isn’t always the case with musicians (but of course that’s true of people in general.)

Do I get points for having occasional picnic dinners with YoYo Ma? (He is quite partial to my deviled eggs.) (And he is, by the way, a marvelously down-to-earth, decent, lovely person!)

@Janean L wrote:

Do I get points for having occasional picnic dinners with YoYo Ma? (He is quite partial to my deviled eggs.) (And he is, by the way, a marvelously down-to-earth, decent, lovely person!)

I am so, so jealous!!

@Nichola L wrote:

Yes! Nina Simone! It's funny, I was going to add one of her songs to my list, but couldn't choose.  Her take on *Black is the Color of My True Love's Hair* is amazing, especially considering the history of the song as a traditional folk song (which supposedly originated in Scotland). And *My Baby Just Cares for Me*.

Also, Billy Holiday singing *Strange Fruit*. It's a devastating song, so the word "perfect" seems out of place somehow. But her voice expresses it so powerfully.     

I'm a long time admirer of Ms. Simone. Her performance of "I love you Porgy" is definitive in my opinion, and her piano work on the track is as stellar as her vocal.