🐈
» Forums » Coffee Break » Re: Perhaps a stupid question...
Page options
boshoffirene
Community Member

Perhaps a stupid question...

This may be a stupid question to some, but here goes:

I've uploaded numerous files in the past week. Twice now I've seen a message from Upwork linked to the uploaded docs stating 'file has been sanitized'.

When clicking on the 'learn more' link, however, it tells me nothing about what the statement means.

Any learned people here who could let an old lady writer know the meaning of 'file has been sanitized' in plain old English? I'd appreciate it.

14 REPLIES 14

Noureldin Y wrote:

send it through google drive or to your client email better to guarantee it's going to them fully without being embarrassed as they also see the same line on their side, and maybe thinking that you were trying to hack them, lol. Put the text on google drive doc, and let the client generate the download from google server itself.

No need for any of that.

The client (or the freelancer) can simply choose to download the original file by clicking on the download-the-original-file link on the right of the file name, or clicking on the three dot on the right of the filename to see the option to download the original. (depending on your screen-size you will see one or the other)

download original file.jpg

Having compared a random dozen of "sanitized" files with their original, there was no visible or functionality difference at all between the two versions

Noureldin Y wrote:

They can download the original but why would you embarrass yourself by making the other thing appear?

I would in no way "embarrass myself" - just about every file sent and received shows like this.

Mostly there is no difference between the two versions.

Clients, once told, understand. Pasting their text into a google thingie is dilettante and amateur-ish and I'd not send my clients on a chase across the Internet to get their stuff.

I just tell them that the file may have been sanitized and how to get the original. Simple. Easy. Clean. Professional.

by far the WORST way to get the doc to the client is to paste it into google sheets. There will be a hell of a lot more changes done by pasting from Word to Google sheet and then downloading back as a Word doc than the sanitizing process could possibly make. That is such a **Edited for Community Guidelines** way to go about it - it beggars belief.

If you want to send the original doc in its original state, send it by email or upload it as is into dropbox or whatever. No copy-pasting across formats.

Noureldin Y wrote:

everyone is doing it his way and sharing it, so she can know the options and decide what she wants to do.

Well, there is little danger of Irene (who is far too experienced) doing anything as bleep-brained, but for the sake of others who might be tempted to start copy-pasting client materials across formats over the Internet when there is neither any need nor any sense in doing so, it had to be pointed out just how bleep-brained it is.

Your copy paste bleep-idea does not just alter the content (FAR more than the Upwork sanitizing does,) it also creates extra steps for the client and means there is no file on Upwork in case there is any kind of dispute.

So in every possible way: Unnecessary, needless, bleep

Noureldin Y wrote:

Okay all that's great, now what don't Upwork just solve that thing that alerts for just alerting ? That's the real bad thing not the ways we're solving by.

Simply telling the client:

Hi Frodo, in case you see some alert about the file, you can simply download the original by clicking on the "download the original file" link or let me know if you'd like me to send you the file some other way of your choice.

download original file.jpg

Include the screenshot. Done.

None of this is new. The sanitizing has been going on for months / years. They only just started showing the alert. Nothing else has changed.

Irene, from what I understand, sanitizing files deletes all editing.  I've always used client emails as it is faster and then back it up w/ copying all relevent materials to the workroom. Copying info to wokroom is crucial as you know so ... along with email, Slack, and DropBox, feel free to use this verbaige that I sent to a client.

U has mucked w/ files - sanitized them - which deletes edits so you will have to:

1. Hover over file name in green
2. To the right side facing screen, you'll see a green downward arrow.
3. Click on option to DOWNLOAD ORIGINAL FILE.

Wendy C wrote:

Irene, from what I understand, sanitizing files deletes all editing.

It doesn't.

In the past, Upwork sanitizing has removed all redlines, which are crucial to what I do.  I just email or, if the document is large, use Dropbox.

Thanks...as usual, got exactly what I wanted. 

And I really do know how to spell 'verbiage' ....

ARGH -not enough coffee when I posted -

Mary W wrote:

In the past, Upwork sanitizing has removed all redlines, which are crucial to what I do.  I just email or, if the document is large, use Dropbox.

I've also had edited documents sanitized previously, but it does not happen every time.I have so far been unable to figure out how sometimes the tracked changes get messed with and other times they are not.

Also, the client can super-easily download the original now.

NOTHING is happening now that hasn't been happening for ages, only now we are 1) TOLD about it (which is a good thing) and 2) there is a link right next to the document to download the un-bu**ered with file. That's a good thing too, so all in all this is a step in the right direction.

If editing / redlining is removed - even once - that is once too often.

I'm not a tech person and have no idea of why this happens (once, sometimes, or all the time) but it should NOT happen.

And, needless to say, alerting clients and contractors to the 'sanitization process' via a forum posting (and a poorly worded one at that) is insufficient. How many contractors - let alone clients - actually visit the forums?

'Nuf said ....

Petra R wrote:

Mary W wrote:

I've also had edited documents sanitized previously, but it does not happen every time.I have so far been unable to figure out how sometimes the tracked changes get messed with and other times they are not.

Also, the client can super-easily download the original now.

NOTHING is happening now that hasn't been happening for ages, only now we are 1) TOLD about it (which is a good thing) and 2) there is a link right next to the document to download the un-bu**ered with file. That's a good thing too, so all in all this is a step in the right direction.

So, the very bad thing is over--the months during which some clients did not get some or all edits and neither party was aware of it.

I wonder how many disputes this has caused, with the client legitimately claiming the freelancer didn't do the work and the freelancer thinking the client was trying to cheat him/her.

The only way to ensure that your files remain intact is to send them via different means. Your own email, Dropbox, etc. 

Nichola L wrote:

The only way to ensure that your files remain intact is to send them via different means. Your own email, Dropbox, etc. 

I completely agree, personally I use OneDrive, it gives me 1tb of space and full access to all Microsoft programs and I can share it with up to 5 people at the abysmal cost of 70$ per year.

Latest Articles
Learning Paths