🐈
» Forums » Coffee Break » Re: Please be facetious
Page options
richard_wein
Community Member

Please be facetious

I  often feel like responding to forum posts with a wry or facetious comment, but usually refrain.  Now I've decided to start posting them here, where they won't cause offence. Please add your own. 

For starters...

Recent question: "How to find a stable job here?"

It's hard to imagine how you can care for horses over the internet. That said, plenty of sh*t gets shoveled on Upwork.

19 REPLIES 19
petra_r
Community Member

Richard W wrote:

I  often feel like responding to forum posts with a wry or facetious comment, but usually refrain.

I don't (refrain, that is.... )

🙂

Petra R wrote:

Richard W wrote:

I  often feel like responding to forum posts with a wry or facetious comment, but usually refrain.

I don't (refrain, that is.... )

🙂

I've noticed. 😀

martina_plaschka
Community Member

Richard W wrote:

I  often feel like responding to forum posts with a wry or facetious comment, but usually refrain.  Now I've decided to start posting them here, where they won't cause offence. Please add your own. 

For starters...

Recent question: "How to find a stable job here?"

It's hard to imagine how you can care for horses over the internet. That said, plenty of sh*t gets shoveled on Upwork.

Darn Richard, make me look up facetious! 

HiMartina P wrote:

It's one of my favourite words. It's well-known for having one of each vowel, in alphabetical order.

Still, if you asked me to define it, I'd struggle.

Humans are not the only creatures capable of being facetious. Look at what Upwork just told me! JSS DAY.png

I actually remember when the Community Forum moderators created the New to Upwork section and cracked down regular Forum participants with regards to how we greeted certain new users. It was an adjustment for a number of us (mysef included), but it was the right move for the Forum and for the platform.

From time to time, I think most of us exhibit restraint in how we respond to new/less experienced Upwork users.

Richard W wrote:

HiMartina P wrote:

It's one of my favourite words. It's well-known for having one of each vowel, in alphabetical order.

I not only looked it up, I listened to the pronounciating, both in US English, and UK English. Hilarious! My official new hobby...

One never ending source of amusment is the "I need to change my country" thread.

Not everyone, but the majority are just struggling to find a reason for their being in a country other than the one they stated on their profiles, such as "I have since moved to Otherland, but my profile is set to the country where I lived when I set up my account" to avoid having to say "I lied when I created my profile and stumbled over the need to give a phone number in the country I wanted to pretend to live in..."

Well, Petra, I might be moving to another land pretty soon. Hope you'll help me!

Considering moving to Lalaland...not sure phones are allowed there...and addresses might be a tad confusing to boot.

Petra R wrote:

One never ending source of amusment is the "I need to change my country" thread.

Not everyone, but the majority are just struggling to find a reason for their being in a country other than the one they stated on their profiles, such as "I have since moved to Otherland, but my profile is set to the country where I lived when I set up my account" to avoid having to say "I lied when I created my profile and stumbled over the need to give a phone number in the country I wanted to pretend to live in..."

Interestingly enough, most of those started out in the US, but then decided to move to outer Mongolia or similar such place....

lysis10
Community Member

Petra R wrote:

It's funny cuz true. My favorite one is "I was on vacation when I did this." And you just think "uhhh, so you're out roaming a new country and enjoying the sites and just thought "oh, I'll sign up for Upwork!"

If you go back and click on profiles in that thread, 95% of them are suspended lol. Whenever a thread gets necro'd I like to see if the freelancer is still here and usually if it's something controversial, the profile is dead.

Martina P wrote:

Richard W wrote:

HiMartina P wrote:

I not only looked it up, I listened to the pronounciating, both in US English, and UK English. Hilarious! My official new hobby...

"Pronunciation" in both UK and US English ... 😉

Self-censored, as I think I may have gone a bit too far, even for the Coffee Break forum!

Richard W wrote:

Self-censored, as I think I may have gone a bit too far, even for the Coffee Break forum!

I thought it was funny! It came up in my emails before you self-edited. I would have added the source of the tune though, as that part  would have escaped a few readers! 

Nichola L wrote:

Richard W wrote:

I thought it was funny! It came up in my emails before you self-edited. I would have added the source of the tune though, as that part  would have escaped a few readers! 

Well, perhaps it would be safe to just say that the question, "What should I do with a rude client?", posted by a freelancer, reminded me of a certain sea shanty beginning "What shall we do with..."

Maybe not facetious, but this seems like the right place for it...I am constantly amazed at the number of job postings that refer at length to the attached file, when there is in fact no attached file!?!

"How to stop cheating Clients?"

If you really can't stop it on your own, try joining Cheaters Anonymous.

I'm assuming there's a "How to stop cheating freelancers" equivalent somewhere or is that just a facetious fantasy? 

Latest Articles
Learning Paths