cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Polyglott friends

Olivier P Member Since: Dec 28, 2011
1 of 13

hi everybody

are there polyglotts who would like to enjoy a coffee break with me ?

Community Guru
Natasha R Member Since: Aug 2, 2010
BEST ANSWER
2 of 13

I’m not sure I qualify to have a coffee with youWoman Very Happy

How many languages to be considered a polyglot?

How many languages do you speak?

Community Guru
Robert James R Member Since: Apr 17, 2015
3 of 13

Polyglots = at least 5

Multilinguists = usually capped at 4

Community Guru
Natasha R Member Since: Aug 2, 2010
4 of 13

polyglot:

having a command of many languages

http://www.thefreedictionary.com/polyglot

The never-ending discussion. The use of the word 'polyglot' and by extension 'fluent' are inherently vague words; ask ten linguists what they mean and they'll likely give you inconsistent definitions. Like Jeff said, it depends a lot on how proficient you are, that is, whether you have enough capability in a particular language to add it to your list and count it as a language you actively know. If I had to blurt out a figure right now, I guess numbers of three and upwards would count as polyglottery since 'one' and 'a couple' aren't very many, but 'several' seems to come closer to a lot of people who wear the polyglot label. Others say it should be at least four or five. I think Wikipedia describes a person with six languages as being a hyperpolyglot.

Chris

Community Guru
Stephen B Member Since: Dec 4, 2012
5 of 13

Back to the original post - how would this coffee break work?  Would you change language every few minutes?

6 of 13

hi Siephen

i agree with the game it would be fun to speak or chat simultanously with different language speaking people, i think it would be my nirvana !

7 of 13

Hi Robert

thank you for your research, and what about philippines, is Tagalog the main language, does it look like spanish ?

Community Guru
Ramon B Member Since: Jan 11, 2015
8 of 13

I don't approve of it anyway, a man should only have 1 wife:

Man Happy + Woman Happy =Cat Very Happy

Man Happy +Woman Mad+Woman Surprised+Woman Mad = Cat Mad:

Community Guru
Cristian-Adrian F Member Since: May 6, 2015
9 of 13

Haha, that made me laugh, good point. Rather than being mediocre with many, hit one and do it like a pro,

Community Guru
Nichola L Member Since: Mar 13, 2015
10 of 13

Hi Olivier, I can only speak French (along with English) - but if you're OK with that, I'll have coffee with you, Anyway we are in the same country and we can talk about the new party. La République! Smiley Happy

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS