cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Project code words?

Community Guru
Renata S Member Since: Jun 10, 2014
1 of 19

I once moved to a city during a particularly low-occupancy period. After a while, I started being able to "read into" the language people were using to promote particularly questionable apartments.

Cozy = too small for someone with furniture or personal effects
Quaint = strange, non-standard layout
Charming = close to quaint but with additional weird features thrown in.

I find these types of euphemisms when I look at invites and job postings. I know the ones in my field. I'm just curious what the code words are for other people.

Community Guru
Christine A Member Since: May 4, 2016
2 of 19

"Simple job" = "I only want to pay $3/hour"

Community Guru
3 of 19

Christine A wrote:

"Simple job" = "I only want to pay $3/hour"

I think that's a near relative of "this should take a professional absolutely no time to complete."

Ace Contributor
Robert I Member Since: Mar 27, 2016
4 of 19

That's all jobs in my field yet the post for USA workers. It's disgusting that Upwork can't do more to get at least US minimum wage out of these low balling clients.

Ace Contributor
Robert I Member Since: Mar 27, 2016
5 of 19

If I see "rock star" skills I run because I know the client is a jerk.

Community Guru
Preston H Member Since: Nov 24, 2014
6 of 19

re: "If I see 'rock star' skills I run because I know the client is a jerk."

As are most rock stars.

But that's an unrelated topic.

Community Guru
Mary W Member Since: Nov 10, 2014
7 of 19

"I am representing myself in court and I just need a paralegal to fill out the paperwork".  No, you want cheap legal advice.

Community Guru
Phyllis G Member Since: Sep 8, 2016
8 of 19

"really straightforward" = I have no clue what will be involved but am utterly convinced it can't possibly take very long or cost very much.

Community Guru
9 of 19

I don't see this one as much anymore. Two years ago it used to be a staple of almost every editing post.

"This project has already been through a couple of rounds of self­-editing" = so there's almost nothing left for you to do that you can charge me for.

Is it just me, or is self-editing something people just used to naturally do out of courtesy before asking anyone else to read their initial draft? I can't figure out when it became "a thing" you needed to announce to people like it was a sign you were on a higher plane of writerly consciousness. 

Community Guru
Nichola L Member Since: Mar 13, 2015
10 of 19

Estate agents here (usually English - not always) will advertise a pile of stones vaguely resembling a building and call it an "umissable country project" - usually wildly overpriced and quite literally in the middle of nowhere - no electricity, water etc. 

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS