cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Question about tracking software...

Community Guru
Robert James R Member Since: Apr 17, 2015
1 of 5

Anyone here have experience with banners and ads on the website? A company wants to put up some ads and they're going to be using some tracking software or something.

He asks me for the following:

Username
Password
Email
Company Name
Web address
Paypal Address
TAX ID/SSN
First Name
Last Name
Street Address
City
State
Zip Code
Phone Number
Fax Number
Country

I understand he'll register me and all but does he really need my Tax ID? The business would be pay per registration via commission rate.

The company willing to conduct business with me is: **edited for Community Guidelines**

So yeah, is this legit? The greentech website seems to be a tracking website. The guy also provided me demo username and password for **edited for Community Guidelines**

Thank you!

Community Guru
Jennifer M Member Since: May 17, 2015
2 of 5

Is this some kind of affiliate program? So you would host a banner on your site for rightstyleliving and get paid per impression or click?

Did he approach you? The thing that bothers me is that the site is a one-page site with 2 pages in google. The second page is the default hello world blog installation.

It sounds like he's brokering a link with you, which can be OK but where is his affiliate management network?

If you decide to do it, give him a username and password that you use nowhere else. Ask him to give you references of other places he's worked with.

Community Guru
3 of 5

I gave him a new username and password and my paypal email (which is empty) the only thing I'm worried about is how he'll use my Tax number.

Yes, this is an affiliate program. He'll pay me if a person registers on his website via my ID or something. Kind of like a referral.

P.S. what's the worst he could do with my Tax number?

Community Guru
Preston H Member Since: Nov 24, 2014
4 of 5

Robert, whether or not this is a scam is less important than the fact that you will not make any money from this, and you already know that. So you are giving your personal information away to somebody who MIGHT misuse it, and you are definitely giving your time and energy away.

There are legitimate avenues for people with high-traffic sites to make money from ad revenues. This is not one of those and you are not one of those people.

You could, instead, be spending your time and energy on real jobs.

Community Guru
5 of 5

I see your point.

I'll just wait and see, I guess. My website's not that big, true, but I want to get a bit of monetary support from it one day. I've called on to friends who had a similar affiliate program and they confirmed they did indeed provide their Tax ID (on top of other government requirements)

Aside from my tax ID, I only did provide the guy a generic username/password, and an empty paypal email address, But I really have to know the worst thing he can do with my Tax ID. I mean, you can't exactly make a transaction using that, right? It's not a credit card number. Or is there a way a person can use this tax ID in place of their own?

@Jennifer: I also saw the "hello world!" post and I figured he must be using it for email purposes only.

P.S. I also contacted the website he is using and it appears he's also the customer support. Oh boy. I'm starting to think he's a one-man team and his demo account was a fraud @_@

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS