Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Rant thread?

Highlighted
Community Guru
Jennifer M Member Since: May 17, 2015
41 of 43

@Robert James R wrote:

He called last Friday and he interviewed me for 45 minutes. It was really serious like your typical HR interview. After that, he said he'll hire me this week as we've come to an agreement on the hourly rate for a maximum of 30 hours of work (which I doubt I'll consume even half).

It's been two days. I pinged the guy on UpWork's messaging system and Skype. I also know his FB and LinkedIn account but that would be a dumb move (his name is easily searchable; very unique)

Oh well, I have a few days left before the ending to this story and I sincerely hope it's a good one as decent writing jobs have become rare since the week started.

PS: I guess Ramon got the job outside UpWork. I miss the guy's humor :/

Robert, you have more patience than I do. I hope you didn't fall for the "I have so many hours for you so you should work for cheaper." I have had people throw that line at me so many times. I have one with a contract that's been open for about 2 months. They tried it with me and said they need me for 10 per week. I think I've billed 5 hours total in 2 months. Have another that's paid me a little more, but yeah, they said they wanted me full time eventually. I told them that we can talk about rate when it happens.

The "work cheaper cuz I have lots of hours" thing has become more popular than "it's easy for someone who knows what they are doing" line. At least that's my experience. 

Highlighted
Community Guru
Preston H Member Since: Nov 24, 2014
42 of 43

Why would I want to work MORE hours at a lower rate, when I could work MORE hours at my regular (higher) rate?

I guess that works for some people, but only if you're having a hard time getting the hours you need.

I'm trying to work FEWER hours at a HIGHER rate, not do the opposite.

Community Guru
Hanna N Member Since: Jun 17, 2015
43 of 43

@Robert, based on the comments the client made about your article I can only assume that they are so caught up with your non-native appearance that they can't recognize wordplay when it winks at them from the computer screen. I really hope something good comes out of this for you, because otherwise it's not just the time you have wasted that I'd be sad about, but also the completely unfounded doubt you've recieved. I know it would get me down.

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS