Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Rant thread?

Highlighted
Community Guru
Ramon B Member Since: Jan 11, 2015
11 of 43

People like this truly disgust me. The fact that there are people will to work for them disgusts me too. Moreover, the fact that they're actually allowed to post jobs like this REALLY disgusts me - so much for a professional platform!!!!!

The Articles you will have to write is "How to" articles and you will be given the topic to research.  you $ 0.80 per article of 550 words. APPLY ONLY if you can write on the given rate and produce at least 15+ articles per week as there is no limit of work. Please forward sample of previous work if you have written articles before.

Highlighted
Community Guru
MERCY N Member Since: May 6, 2015
12 of 43

Robert you said: They ended the contract not because it was a done deal but because they told me I wasn't what they needed. I initially found that weird.

Are you sure that wasn't an action of a frustrated VA? Some clients don't seem to care what's happening on the ground once they hire someone for administrative chores. Of course I'm not ruling out having a client with sadistic tendencies as well.

I had a similar incident 2yrs ago and I raised that issue with CS. What happened was that I was provided a link to put my case across so that anyone seeing the poor score and the negative public feedback could also read my rejoinder. That has been somewhat pacifying in a way, till we were reborn and became Upwork - now such a rejoinder is no longer visible. It was removed disregarding the fact that it landed there because there was a dispute of sorts; a way of exercising fairness on both the client and the freelancer.

Many months down the line the client sent me a direct job offer and I, of course, declined. I had written a whopping 77 articles for them over a relatively short time. So, I feel you. I can recall how deflated I felt when I read that I had been terminated on grounds of 'Poor English'. Hello!

But yes - there are people's attitudes you can't explain even in the real world not just this virtual one. I've learnt to treat such remarks with the contempt they deserve and don't let them get the better of me. After this one client have come many good ones; in fact, great ones. For you, I see you've already landed a number of jobs even before the dust is settled. It's bright man! Keep hope alive.

Highlighted
Ace Contributor
Mariam Fatima Z Member Since: Feb 24, 2015
13 of 43

Okay so I feel like I was able to land more jobs as a newbie than I can now. It's getting so difficult to get hired, and 80% of the time no one gets hired on those jobs at all so it isn't just me.

I just wonder that it must be nice to receive invitations once in a while (if anyone still does, of course) and not have to keep applying. Out of the last 2 invites I got around three months ago, one was a scam and the other wanted 15 500-word posts proofread everyday for a grand total of 'guaranteed' $5 per day :/

I'm almost out of work now Smiley Sad

Highlighted
Community Guru
Beth T Member Since: Jan 18, 2015
14 of 43

@Mariam, right there with you! Some days, things start to look better, but it's never a long-term better. More of a Band-Aid better.

My stats say I'm interviewed and hired more often than my peers. I can't imagine what they're going through if things are rough for me? Can those stats really be accurate? LOL

Highlighted
Community Guru
Robert James R Member Since: Apr 17, 2015
15 of 43

Great. A prospective client willing to hire me for my best rate asked me about the recent rating I received which happens to be the client I mentioned in my first post. 

I told him the gist of it: we had a disagreement with the skills and work needed so the client told me they don't need me anymore.

Prospective client never messaged back -_-

P.S.  I also saw the open job by my previous client, He's now looking for a VA that does what I do plus more. His job description has a bit of hate on it specially on this line:

Note that we are only interested in hiring someone who is good at really getting things done, and done right.

Immature **bleep** -_-

Highlighted
Community Guru
John K Member Since: Feb 17, 2015
16 of 43

Robert, remember this too will pass.

Like, for instance, I tried to insert a youtube video here, but it didn't work. Cat Tongue

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ebtC3ORg9fU

17 of 43

@Robert, that stinks. I've never had a client single out one particular piece of feedback. I guess there's a time for everything. And it's SO rude of the previous client. They didn't need to post their opinion publically. I think everyone is going berserk lately!

You're an excellent communicator, and I have confidence that you'll bounce back even stronger. Success is the best revenge!

Highlighted
Community Guru
Amy T Member Since: Jan 31, 2013
18 of 43

I have been a freelancer for almost 14 years. I have a few steady clients but due to the economy they decided to cut back on my work load. Then I stumbled across Odesk (aka Upwork) and found a great way to supplement my income.

I have been working on here for over 2 years and it started off great at first. Unfortunately, I have discovered that as time goes on with this particular platform the less respect is given to freelancers. For the first time I received a low rating from a client. When I questioned him about it, he said it wasn't up to his expectations. At no time was this ever told to me during the project. In fact, he told me he was quite pleased with the project. And on top of that he wanted to continue working with me on future projects!! I had to sever ties with him because I simply couldn't afford another low review from someone who's mind I couldn't read and who could ultimately ruin my JS.

And lately I have encountered potential "clients", who have interviewed me, rude and unprofessional. They are also unwilling to pay decent wages for the amount of work needed for their projects. If I hear, "well how long do you think it will take?" one more time I will scream. If I see in the job title, "Simple logo project" with a ridiculous amount of work involved for $5 I will scream.

Highlighted
Community Guru
19 of 43

Amen, Amy. The level of cheapness I've encountered in the past six months is flabbergasting. I'm sad not just for myself but for you and all of my colleagues here.

Highlighted
Daniel A Member Since: Jul 28, 2015
20 of 43

Cor blimey, you guys, for a first timer this is kind of scary

TOP KUDOED MEMBERS