Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Rant thread?

Highlighted
Community Guru
Irene B Member Since: Feb 17, 2015
31 of 43

Not a rant - a compliment

To the guy from customer service who helped me yesterday to find something on my laptop (work-related). He didn't have to, but he was nice enough to do so. We sometimes get irritated with the generic BS they feed us when we have a problem, but the majority DO try their best with the limited access etc. they are given. I know I am NOT always the easiest customer to deal with, but hey, we are all only human.

THANK YOU!

Highlighted
Community Guru
MERCY N Member Since: May 6, 2015
32 of 43

"... To any newbies reading Robert's story:

THIS IS NOT NORMAL. Do not try this at home..."

Smiley LOLSmiley LOLSmiley LOL

Best I've read on this platform in weeks! Yeah, engaging with such a client is a dangerous game.

Robert, I hope you can read the concealed exasperation in Preston's tone. He's not known for choice words but I guess this is one instance he'd have loved to give you a few. How can you let an unscrupulous guy mess with you like that? Not just with your time but with your head? Being polite is good but not too polite - the shenanigans you just narrated scream - run!

All the same, I feel bad for you. I understand sometimes there's that voice saying, maybe he's genuine... but mh  

- I lost enough on this site as a newbie now I know better.

Highlighted
Community Guru
Preston H Member Since: Nov 24, 2014
33 of 43

Mercy, thank you for your post. Obviously neither you nor I would go down this route at this point in our careers.

Unlike a total newbie, Robert actually knows what he is doing in this situation. He understands the risks.

Three weeks of these shenanigans is probably enough, though. I'm left hanging off the edge of my seat waiting to see how the story ends. I would enjoy it if Robert were to continue in this role as a master storyteller by giving us an exciting conclusion... Tell the client: "This has been fun. Go ahead and send a hire offer and I'll get to work."

...and let us know how it turns out.

Highlighted
Community Guru
34 of 43

"... I'm left hanging off the edge of my seat waiting to see how the story ends. I would enjoy it if Robert were to continue in this role as a master storyteller by giving us an exciting conclusion..."

Smiley LOLSmiley LOLSmiley LOL

Robert - Like Preston, I'm watching this space. Please keep us updated!

Highlighted
Community Guru
Jennifer M Member Since: May 17, 2015
35 of 43

"Where do you see yourself in 5 years?"

Me: Dead

At this point, you might as well have some fun with it. 

Highlighted
Community Guru
Robert James R Member Since: Apr 17, 2015
36 of 43

Well, we're scheduled to have the official call in 10 hours and I'm sure most of you guys will be asleep by then. He made me sign an NDA and I really took the time to read it.

He already told me he was willing to hire me and mentioned the budget per month. If the guy is a jerk client that pays me fairly, I'll stick. But if he's looking for someone to bully then you know the reason why my rating got below 4 :lol:

Honestly though, it's been more than 3 weeks. To be fair to the guy, he did mention the following in the job description:

Since this is a long-term position, there will be a in-depth qualification process

Let's see if this guy's worth the credentials he's received so far.

Highlighted
Community Guru
Preston H Member Since: Nov 24, 2014
37 of 43

Cool, Robert. Good luck. Thank you for the update.

By the way... The NDA is not a big deal and is NOT a sign that something is a scam. I sign a lot of NDAs, and they usually indicate a legitimate business with real money to spend. At least that has been my experience.

Highlighted
Community Guru
Oreofe J Member Since: May 8, 2015
38 of 43

@Jennifer: RE:"Where do you see yourself in 5 years?"
Me: Dead
There is an addendum to this.
The Interviewer (is not sure if he heard you properly) clears his throat and continues:
Question: Ok..So where do you see yourself in 10 years?
Me: If I am most likely going to be six feet under in 5 years does it really matter ?
Moral: Not cutting to the chase gets everyone winded and leaves one or both parties exasperated.
@Robert All the best in this one Robert.

Highlighted
Community Guru
Robert James R Member Since: Apr 17, 2015
39 of 43

He called last Friday and he interviewed me for 45 minutes. It was really serious like your typical HR interview. After that, he said he'll hire me this week as we've come to an agreement on the hourly rate for a maximum of 30 hours of work (which I doubt I'll consume even half).

It's been two days. I pinged the guy on UpWork's messaging system and Skype. I also know his FB and LinkedIn account but that would be a dumb move (his name is easily searchable; very unique)

Oh well, I have a few days left before the ending to this story and I sincerely hope it's a good one as decent writing jobs have become rare since the week started.

PS: I guess Ramon got the job outside UpWork. I miss the guy's humor :/

Highlighted
Community Guru
40 of 43

Thanks Robert for that update.

Looking forward to a great ending to the story - one that tells us, 'What's with you doubting Thomases???'

And now that you mention it, Ramon's silence has been too loud - how could he miss such a thread? Must be away; hopefully for a short while. (Or away with this job! Smiley LOL)

Robert, if I wasn't me I'd have inquired into the budget for this job... Smiley Tongue

TOP KUDOED MEMBERS