Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Remembrance Holidays

Highlighted
Community Manager
Lena E Community Manager Member Since: Apr 7, 2015
1 of 4

This coming Monday is Memorial Day, a holiday recognized in the United States as a day of remembrance. With our diverse Community, I was wondering if your country also has a remembrance day, if so, when is it observed, what is the significance and how do you celebrate?

Memorial Day is observed on the last Monday of May. The day honors men and women who died while serving in the U.S. military. It originated in the years following the Civil War and became an official federal holiday in 1971. Many Americans observe Memorial Day by visiting cemeteries or memorials and placing flags at grave sites. We also hold family gatherings and participate in Memorial Day parades. Some of the largest parades take place in Chicago, New York and Washington. Here is a photo of the 2014 parade in New York City.

famous-memorial-day-parade-new-york-city-3.jpg  

Many people also throw parties and barbecues over the holiday weekend, perhaps because Memorial Day unofficially marks the beginning of summer Smiley Happy

Untitled
Highlighted
Community Guru
Cristian-Adrian F Member Since: May 6, 2015
2 of 4

That's an honourable event and commemoration. Here, in Romania, we don't have a Remembernce Day, but there's something similar, called The National Day of Commemorating the Holocaust. This reflects our people's role in the Holocaust, 1942, when Jews were deported to Transnistria. That definitely came into my mind, because there's a certain monument for it, that's totally not related to this event, but nicely worked... enhancing touristic experience I would say.

Highlighted
Community Manager
Lena E Community Manager Member Since: Apr 7, 2015
3 of 4

Hi Cristian-Adrian,

Thanks for sharing. I looked up The National Day of Commemorating the Holocaust, it is celebrated on October 9th. I found a photo of the monument you spoke about on wikipedia. Memorialul_Holocaustului_IMG_6957.JPG

Untitled
Highlighted
Community Guru
Cristian-Adrian F Member Since: May 6, 2015
4 of 4

Hey, Lena,

Exactly, I wonder why that thing brings Holocaust in some people's mind. That photo's taken from somewhere around downtown.

What about the Remembrance parade from this year, and are there many people acquainted with this event, or preparing in a certain manner? Here food is brought into discussion when it comes about any type of event (we certainly have a distinguished cuisine for that and I know that sounds odd).

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS