🐈
» Forums » Coffee Break » Researchers discover croissants might be good...
Page options
renata101
Community Member

Researchers discover croissants might be good for you!

Okay, that's not exactly what these researchers had to say, but they might not be as bad for you or your middle as previously imagined. It seems to depend on how your body responds to them, something they've found varies from person to person. 

https://www.theguardian.com/society/2016/jan/28/gut-bacteria-changed-my-life-dieting-food-blood-suga...

Apparently, ice cream and chocolate are also getting a better rap from these guys for some people.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0z03xkwFbw4

14 REPLIES 14
sophie-stoltz
Community Member

I am a firm believer in doing things that makes me happy. Comfort food like ice cream is one of those things. Being happy is certainly good for you 

Our bodies all react differently. Some crave breads; other chocolates (Rene); some fish and veggies; others meat and pasta or potatoes.  A lot of it is metabolism based from what I understand.  Certainly it is also based on what you tend to prefer and, as a result, eat.

I'm openly and admittedly a good bread freak. And I'm thin; I just don't gain weight.  My metabolism works best when I eat what I want.  So croissants - here I come for more.

I am of the firm belief that everything in moderation is fine. 

versailles
Community Member

The only place where you can find croissants is France.

Anything sold anywhere else that is called a croissant or shaped as one is a mere ersatz of what a genuine croissant is. If you are lucky enough to have tasted a true croissant bought in a French boulangerie, you will never want to have any of these pale copies anymore.

Can a moderator close this thread to replies? There is nothing more to be said about this topic and disagreements are not accepted.

You guys just leave croissants alone.

-----------
"Where darkness shines like dazzling light"   —William Ashbless

Rene, you are correct in all aspects. 

Sadly, however, those of us who cannot travel to France for breakfast must make do with what is available.  There is a bakery in New Orleans who does pretty well and one Vietnamese bakery here in Biloxi that are as good as any outside of France.

@Rene K wrote:

The only place where you can find croissants is France.

Anything sold anywhere else that is called a croissant or shaped as one is a mere ersatz of what a genuine croissant is. If you are lucky enough to have tasted a true croissant bought in a French boulangerie, you will never want to have any of these pale copies anymore.

Can a moderator close this thread to replies? There is nothing more to be said about this topic and disagreements are not accepted.

You guys just leave croissants alone.

Some areas around us most definitely SHOULD leave croissants alone!  Upon reading the ingredients some state "butter blend;" some state margarine-yuck! really?!  Thankfully there are those that actually use 100% butter-yum! 

It's sorta like sourdough bread.  It's only good in San Francisco.  I think it has to do with the water, perhaps.

Spoiler

Lol! I agree completely, Rene! I am in France every few months and look forward to those melt-in-the-mouth offerings from heaven. The worst of it is the misprounouciation 🙂 Horrible at times!

datasciencewonk
Community Member

Another win for IIFYM.

Bread is bad for me, personally. But, I can live vicariously through those who can eat it -- even in moderation -- and not end up the size of a water buffalo.

René --

I have the tremendous good fortune to be in Belgium today. Despite the fact that bread (which I crave) is NOT so good for me, I indulged in a croissant. It seemed lovely. Do Belgian croissants meet the mark, or was I the happy dupe of pain-au-charlatans?

Janean, you lucky girl!  I bet it was yummy.  An authentic Belgian waffle would probably be good too.  I've also been told that they have some type of exceptional shortbread cookie.  Oh, and the chocolate...I bet Rene would even give it 5 stars; or at least 4.5-lol!

@Janean L wrote:

René --

I have the tremendous good fortune to be in Belgium today. Despite the fact that bread (which I crave) is NOT so good for me, I indulged in a croissant. It seemed lovely. Do Belgian croissants meet the mark, or was I the happy dupe of pain-au-charlatans?

I can't say anything bad about Belgians. Everybody loves Belgians, they're just so nice. See, Belgians are our own Canadians. 

So I guess they have good croissants.

-----------
"Where darkness shines like dazzling light"   —William Ashbless

Love it, René! Indeed, we are finding that the Belgians are indeed terribly pleasant.In fact, I don't see any police anywhere, nor does there seem to be any need for them. On the train from Brussels to Antwerp, the conductor didn't even collect tickets; I am told that often the conductors do not do so--that tickets are kind of on the honor system here.

Like the Canadians... Yeah... Too funny!!

luce-neidert
Community Member

@Renata S wrote:

Okay, that's not exactly what these researchers had to say, but they might not be as bad for you or your middle as previously imagined. It seems to depend on how your body responds to them, something they've found varies from person to person. 

Unfortunately, you'll always find a "researcher" to be bought to do "research" on any topic, the real aim being to sell or to advertise. One of these days, some companies will tell us that pesticides are good for us. 

Latest Articles
Learning Paths