cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Reviews as research

Jimmy C Member Since: Jul 27, 2018
1 of 19

I have a client who thinks Amazon customer product reviews are a good resource to validate a product. I NEVER use Amazon reviews because too many posts are misleading. As a shopper, I've been offered upgrades and discounts to say something good about a product even if I haven't used it. My inclination is to tell them to find another writer. This is after I 'thought' I clearly explained why I do not do that. Instead, I use research from data about the company through other resources. Has anyone else encountered this issue? How did you handle it?

Community Guru
Martina P Member Since: Jul 11, 2018
2 of 19

Jimmy C wrote:

I have a client who thinks Amazon customer product reviews are a good resource to validate a product. I NEVER use Amazon reviews because too many posts are misleading. As a shopper, I've been offered upgrades and discounts to say something good about a product even if I haven't used it. My inclination is to tell them to find another writer. This is after I 'thought' I clearly explained why I do not do that. Instead, I use research from data about the company through other resources. Has anyone else encountered this issue? How did you handle it?

Not sure what your question is and how it pertains to the upwork community forum. 

Community Guru
Kelly B Member Since: Jan 1, 2016
3 of 19

Show them some of the 5736 reviews for the banana slicer and say you won't use it, but only if you haven't accepted an offer yet.

November 5, 2017

Verified Purchase
I was sitting on the couch and my doorbell rang. I leapt off the sofa and ran to the door screaming, “My banana slicer!” I opened the package and immediately snatched a banana to slice. Without instructions included I did not realize I had to peel the banana first. It was a gooey mess and I had to grab another. This time I peeled it, but my banana was too small. It didn’t fill the whole slicer.
I went to Walmart Customer Service, “Do you have any giant bananas?” I questioned. The attendant turned away. I think he was laughing. He called for another attendant, they went to the back, and brought out the biggest bananas I’ve ever seen.
I went home with the bananas. I peeled the bananas and used the banana slicer. It was so satisfying to cut the bananas. I did it all day and forgot to go to work.
I got a call from my boss. “You’re fired!” he screamed into the phone.
I cried. I am no longer Jake from State Farm. I am now just Jake.
Ace Contributor
Christopher H Member Since: Feb 1, 2019
4 of 19

Thanks for sending me to that banana slicer page...there is so much comedy gold there...Event the Q&A section is just filled with hillarity

I'm in tears laguing here

Community Guru
Jennifer R Member Since: Sep 15, 2017
5 of 19

Jimmy C wrote:

It violates the Amazon ToS to pay for reviews. Accepting a job that violates ToS (Amazon or any other website) violates the Upwork ToS. Report the client.

Ace Contributor
Sarah C Member Since: May 12, 2019
6 of 19

It violates the Amazon ToS to pay for reviews. Accepting a job that violates ToS (Amazon or any other website) violates the Upwork ToS. Report the client.

I don't think that's what he means. He's probably talking about a writing gig that involves writing reviews of products using Amazon reviews as research

At least, that's the impression I got. 

As to the OP, you can choose to take the job or not. You can also choose to accept the advice, or not. My clients always have some sort of advice for me. I don't usually take it, because they hired me to do a thing. They didn't hire me to give me advice. As long as I do the thing they want to the specifications they're looking for, it's all good. 

Community Guru
Nichola L Member Since: Mar 13, 2015
7 of 19

Jimmy C wrote:

Amazon had a serious crackdown on false reviews and it is also against Upwork's ToS. So if you are getting offers from clients to write them, then you ought to report them and refuse to do them. 

Community Guru
Rene K Member Since: Jul 10, 2014
8 of 19

Nichola L wrote:

Amazon had a serious crackdown on false reviews 

That's their PR BS. Behind the scenes, they don't care. At best.

-----------
"Where darkness shines like dazzling light"   —William Ashbless
Community Guru
Kelly B Member Since: Jan 1, 2016
9 of 19

If they did crack down I certainly hope someone saved the reviews for the Three Wolves shirt and the Drum of Lube.

If you ever need a pick-me-up just go peruse some of those. Smiley Very Happy

Community Guru
Nichola L Member Since: Mar 13, 2015
10 of 19

Rene K wrote:

Nichola L wrote:

Amazon had a serious crackdown on false reviews 

That's their PR BS. Behind the scenes, they don't care. At best.

Maybe they don't. But you should stop acting devil's advocate, because it encourages people to write false reviews and by extension,to think that writing university course work for lazy students is also acceptable. Our moral standards should not be affected any corporate group that preaches one thing and practices another. 

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS