Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Rude Clients

Highlighted
Community Leader
Catherine M Member Since: Jan 20, 2017
1 of 37

Rude clients remind me of schoolyard bullies. I have been seeing more and more forum posts about clients that have been rude, racist, etc. and it is really a sad state of affairs. We are all supposed to be working professionals yet has it come to this? It is quite juvenile behavior.

I just had one send me a nasty message in response to my proposal. Instead of declining, this individual sent a very rude comment. I remember being taught etiquette and professional behavior in school yet I see more and more of those values are going out the window.

Oh well, I will get off my soapbox. I have to say, though, those few individuals are not reflective of my experiences with Upwork as a whole. I truly enjoy the forums and the down to earth people I have encountered (even if only online). Most of you rock!

Community Guru
Kat C Member Since: Jul 11, 2016
2 of 37

Many are passive aggressive too. 

I've had the experience where they failed to give accurate directions, forgot to send all of the materials (even after I've asked them if there were additional materials), become enraged that I won't work for free (this actually happened), and then turn around and downgrade the star rating. 

While I'm not here to earn gold stars (I'm here to pay my bills and engage with professional clients), the fact that their mistakes have been projected on to my public profile is frustrating.

Human beings tend to remember negative experiences more vividly (and I'm no different).

To add a positive note, I do have many FABULOUS clients who are the utmost professionals, give thorough directions, set expectations that are aligned the complexity of the work, pay on time, and close the contract without me having to ask -- repeatedly. 

Community Leader
Anthony H Member Since: Feb 22, 2017
3 of 37

Many are passive-aggressive, although that's a clinical term that deserves its own thread someday.

Still, I don't find clients who are rude so much as clients who are, well, stupid and untrustworthy. I would hate to throw a number at the wall -- like 50 percent are working some scam -- because I'm probaby being generous. It's probably more like 80 percent.

There are two basic reasons for that (if my capacity for random guesswork is permitted). The first is, guess what: In the good old days, out in the real world, before modern laws and policies, it was probably more like 100 percent of employers were running some hellbent scam of some kind. It kind of comes with the territory. It's the nature of the beast. They all want more than they are willing to pay for. It's human nature.

Think Middle Ages, folks. That's human nature in its natural state, before most people could read or write. (Before accountability, you could say.)

Flash forward to modern times and I will confess I used to be a vocational counselor in a program funded by the New York State Department of Mental Health. So, believe me when I say this -- and I am using very clinical terms here -- most employers are outright schmucks.

But then you throw this lot of theives and scoundrels (i.e: emploiyers) into the playground we call the Internet. Boy, look at all the hiding places! Boy, look at all the get-rich-quick yahoos! Boy, there's just no end to the trouble you can stir up on the Internet. it seems to bring out the most irresponsible behavior we can dream up, if not worse.

Or, you know, maybe they were raised by rude parents. It could be that.

Community Guru
Preston H Member Since: Nov 24, 2014
4 of 37

There is no excuse for clients to be act in unprofessional manner. That includes using vulgar or profane language, trying to get freelancers to work for free, violating Upwork ToS... and it also includes bullying freelancers.

Having said that, let me point out that the fact that a client is flawed does not necessarily mean that she doesn't have money to spend, and a willingness to pay me that money.

As a freelancer, I have the freedom to consider a client's flawed behavior and weigh it against the money I can earn working for her.

All clients (and freelancers) have room to improve.

Perhaps while working with me, a client's "rough edges" will be smoothed out, and she will become more pleasant to work for.

Community Guru
5 of 37

@Preston H wrote:

There is no excuse for clients to be act in unprofessional manner. That includes using vulgar or profane language, trying to get freelancers to work for free, violating Upwork ToS... and it also includes bullying freelancers.

Having said that, let me point out that the fact that a client is flawed does not necessarily mean that she doesn't have money to spend, and a willingness to pay me that money.

As a freelancer, I have the freedom to consider a client's flawed behavior and weigh it against the money I can earn working for her.

All clients (and freelancers) have room to improve.

Perhaps while working with me, a client's "rough edges" will be smoothed out, and she will become more pleasant to work for.

Not all money is good money.

Community Guru
Preston H Member Since: Nov 24, 2014
6 of 37

re: "Not all money is good money."

I completely agree.

Community Guru
7 of 37

@Anthony H wrote:

Many are passive-aggressive, although that's a clinical term that deserves its own thread someday.

Still, I don't find clients who are rude so much as clients who are, well, stupid and untrustworthy. I would hate to throw a number at the wall -- like 50 percent are working some scam -- because I'm probaby being generous. It's probably more like 80 percent.

There are two basic reasons for that (if my capacity for random guesswork is permitted). The first is, guess what: In the good old days, out in the real world, before modern laws and policies, it was probably more like 100 percent of employers were running some hellbent scam of some kind. It kind of comes with the territory. It's the nature of the beast. They all want more than they are willing to pay for. It's human nature.

Think Middle Ages, folks. That's human nature in its natural state, before most people could read or write. (Before accountability, you could say.)

Flash forward to modern times and I will confess I used to be a vocational counselor in a program funded by the New York State Department of Mental Health. So, believe me when I say this -- and I am using very clinical terms here -- most employers are outright schmucks.

But then you throw this lot of theives and scoundrels (i.e: emploiyers) into the playground we call the Internet. Boy, look at all the hiding places! Boy, look at all the get-rich-quick yahoos! Boy, there's just no end to the trouble you can stir up on the Internet. it seems to bring out the most irresponsible behavior we can dream up, if not worse.

Or, you know, maybe they were raised by rude parents. It could be that.

Anthony,

You DO realize I'm a psychologist, yes?

They are clinically passive aggressive, and many have variations of NPD. 

Absolutely. 

As such, I'm not pontificating on the matter (though, arguably, other people seem to).

Community Guru
Rene K Member Since: Jul 10, 2014
8 of 37

@Anthony H wrote:

I would hate to throw a number at the wall -- like 50 percent are working some scam -- because I'm probaby being generous. It's probably more like 80 percent.

(...)

The first is, guess what: In the good old days, out in the real world, before modern laws and policies, it was probably more like 100 percent of employers were running some hellbent scam of some kind.

This is a bold statement. I've read that many CEOs are indeed half mentally ill, this is probably what it takes to run a business, but scams? I don't know.

Business is not about honesty, definitely. It's about making money and companies are certainly moderately honest in their approach af the market and their consumers. But I want to believe that you're wrong.

-----------
"Where darkness shines like dazzling light"   —William Ashbless
Valeria K Moderator Member Since: Mar 6, 2014
BEST ANSWER
9 of 37

Hi Catherine,

I'm sorry you encountered a rude client. We want for Upwork to be a professional place where people treat each other with respect. Note that you can always report an inappropriate message to customer support or by clicking a cog wheel icon next to the time stamp.

Screenshot_1.png

~ Valeria
Untitled
Whitney D Member Since: Jan 2, 2019
10 of 37

This is excellent info- 

can they see when if their message has been reported?

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS