cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Rude Clients

Community Guru
Tiffany S Member Since: Jan 15, 2016
21 of 37

Bobby, I'm surprised to see someone with your successful track record perpetuating the idea that freelancers should allow themselves to be held hostage out of fear of negative feedback. That's no way to run a business, and for a less experienced freelancer is a recipe for disaster as they invest more and more time trying to satisfy impossible clients for low pay rates. 

Basing business decisions on how many gold stars someone might award you is no way for an adult professional to behave, and certainly not something that should be spread to up-and-coming freelancers as a reasonable consideration.

Ace Contributor
Bobby B Member Since: May 21, 2017
22 of 37

Well my apologies to anyone who may have been offended...my goal is to not lecture an approach everyone has to choose their own path.   I was speaking from my own honest experience...

When I started about 6 months ago I had no client list, reputation, portfolio etc.   My skill set was good but definitely needed improvement & upgrades (i.e. equipment).   I knew I had to build a portfolio & reputation so I targeted opportunities that others may not take...those $5 & $10 jobs that in some cases were accompanied by not so pleasent clients.   I continued down this road slowly but surely building up my skills, reputation, client list, and yes Upwork rating (which is a critical feature of Upwork).

Today I am in a great position to be more selective and push back on unruly clients as I have a decent foundation built that I can fall back on.  But I truly believe if I took that approach from day 1 things may be different...

I definitely do not prescribe my approach to others as everyone has to figure out what works for them.  I am just being brutally honest as to how I approach work here & ensure at the end of the day I deposit $$ into my bank for my family.   I have come to the point that I choose to ignore some of the peculiar behaviors of clients as long as they pay me for work done.  I still do jobs for $20 and sometimes for a $1000....I see it all as a path to something greater down the road.

Well I should be working so I better get back at it...

Community Guru
Rene K Member Since: Jul 10, 2014
23 of 37

@Bobby B wrote:

those $5 & $10 jobs that in some cases were accompanied by not so pleasent clients.  

This is where the terrible clients live. Whoever ever worked at the bottom of the barrel knows. Some decided to permanently settle there, at the bottom of the barrel, and they keep complaining about how clients are rude.

-----------
"Where darkness shines like dazzling light"   —William Ashbless
Ace Contributor
Alice M Member Since: May 10, 2018
24 of 37

@Rene K wrote:

@Bobby B wrote:

those $5 & $10 jobs that in some cases were accompanied by not so pleasent clients.  

This is where the terrible clients live. Whoever ever worked at the bottom of the barrel knows. Some decided to permanently settle there, at the bottom of the barrel, and they keep complaining about how clients are rude.

I'm not sure that's fair. We shouldn't be telling people they deserve bad treatment because they're poor, more desperate for money, or otherwise are willing to take on low-paid jobs. 

Community Guru
Mary W Member Since: Nov 10, 2014
25 of 37

Upwork is a world-wide platform.  Your rate should be based on your expertise and your experience, not your personal finances nor where you live.  As I've raised my rates over the years, the quality of my clients has vastly improved.  I present myself as a professional and consequently, I am treated as one.

Community Guru
Virginia F Member Since: Feb 15, 2016
26 of 37

@Mary W wrote:

Upwork is a world-wide platform.  Your rate should be based on your expertise and your experience, not your personal finances nor where you live.  As I've raised my rates over the years, the quality of my clients has vastly improved.  I present myself as a professional and consequently, I am treated as one.

Perfectly stated, Mary ... and that's the difference between you as an experienced freelancer and someone just signing up willy-nilly to do something they are not experienced or equipped to handle. Just because this site is here for you to create a profile, doesn't mean you should.

Ace Contributor
27 of 37

Interesting to see this old thread come back to life.   I have been reading the recent responses and sometimes I'm suprised by the harsh tone of some of the posts...but maybe I'm just a sensitive guy.

I don't think you have to be a "professional" to start on Upwork or any freelance site.   While it might be easier to start with an established portfolio/resume I am living proof you can have success (here & other places) showing up sort of cold turkey.   At the end of the day I think it all comes down to how bad you want it, your willingness to constantly learn, be creative....and out hustle the competition.

As a professional voice talent my beginnings were on Upwork about 2 years ago...clueless.  Fast forward and I am now on multiple sites and have done work for Ford, Addidas, Dell, Telegram, Johnson & Johnson, BASF and many more.  Not tooting my own horn just saying you can arrive here "clueless" and still find success....again it's not easy but it's possible.

I think Upwork is a place for the experienced and those who have a dream and are willing to work for it.

I do agree it's not a place where you show up and you will achieve success with shoddy work and shoddy business practices.

With all due respect....

Bobby 

Community Guru
Petra R Member Since: Aug 3, 2011
28 of 37

@Alice M wrote:

@Rene K wrote:

@Bobby B wrote:

I'm not sure that's fair. We shouldn't be telling people they deserve bad treatment because they're poor, more desperate for money, or otherwise are willing to take on low-paid jobs. 

Nobody said that the freelancer deserves it.

It is a fact that the murky bottom of the freelancing pond holds the vast majority of the mean, rude, impossible to please clients.

It's a bit like working outdoors at the North Pole. It's cold at the North Pole. If that is where you work (out of choice or necessity) you will feel cold at times.

That does not mean you "deserve" to feel cold, it's just what it is like working outdoors at the North Pole.

Easter Joyce D Member Since: May 3, 2016
29 of 37

I did have the same experience as Bobby while starting out in "Odesk".  I dived into a $5 just to get started. Not to mention, my first client was also rude. I still continued my journey until Odesk became Upwork.  It's a reality here that we should at the same time be mindful of a client's feedback so every move counts.  The less stars you have, the less likely you get a project. At this point, it helped me become wiser.

Ace Contributor
30 of 37

"Basing business decisions on how many gold stars someone might award you is no way for an adult professional to behave"

I agree 100% with this...however this not the reality here on Upwork.  Your status/rating is directly impacted by those stars which inadvertently impacts your ability to get work.

I think we would do new freelancers a disservice not to tell them upfront the value of having a high rating here on Upwork....unless I'm missing something?

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS