🐈
» Forums » Coffee Break » Re: Satire
Page options
allpurposewriter
Community Member

Satire

I once wrote a story for "The Onion" about identity theft. It turns out, a village in New Jersey had stolen the identity of a village of similar size in upstate New York. The thieves got way with a "Welcome to Salisbury" sign that should have gone to the upstate New York village instead of New Jersey. The FBI also discovered the New Jersey village had absconded with some highway clean up funds. The mayor of Salisbury went down to investigate and found about thirty yards of sidewalk restoration that looked suspicious. There was also paint designating a handicapped parking space in a municipal parking garage that looked very fresh. The major asked the FBI to look into that. The FBI said they would follow up on the tip. A few years back, Los Angeles got an airport that was intended for Miami, but Los Angeles denied any wrong doing and said anyone could make the same mistake.

Satire season is now officially open. Have at it.

12 REPLIES 12
colettelewis
Community Member

Anthony H wrote:

I once wrote a story for "The Onion" about identity theft. It turns out, a village in New Jersey had stolen the identity of a village of similar size in upstate New York. The thieves got way with a "Welcome to Salisbury" sign that should have gone to the upstate New York village instead of New Jersey. The FBI also discovered the New Jersey village had absconded with some highway clean up funds. The mayor of Salisbury went down to investigate and found about thirty yards of sidewalk restoration that looked suspicious. There was also paint designating a handicapped parking space in a municipal parking garage that looked very fresh. The major asked the FBI to look into that. The FBI said they would follow up on the tip. A few years back, Los Angeles got an airport that was intended for Miami, but Los Angeles denied any wrong doing and said anyone could make the same mistake.

Satire season is now officially open. Have at it.

This is seriously worrying. If runways start getting mixed up, Boeing is going to have a hard time keeping up with its software. 

There is a moral to this story - walk when you can - it is safer, but don't expect drivers to stop at zebra crossings (crosswalks). They don't always. Better not to be using your phone when you cross a busy road.

I don't know what pilots do in the case of Miami or Los Angeles - hit or miss? 

versailles
Community Member

I want what you guys are smoking.

-----------
"Where darkness shines like dazzling light"   —William Ashbless

It's called satire - no additives needed. 😉

Rene K wrote:

I want what you guys are smoking.

Right! Like, the guys who built the airport in the wrong city, probably going, yeah, dude, whatever....

lysis10
Community Member

My satire and humor is inappropriate and dark. I have to stick to r/drama and discord or catch an Upwork ban. Plus, without at least one person telling me to kms once a day idk what I would do. 

Jennifer M wrote:

My satire and humor is inappropriate and dark. I have to stick to r/drama and discord or catch an Upwork ban. Plus, without at least one person telling me to kms once a day idk what I would do. 

365 people is a lot of people - hide! 

Whoever asked the mods to delete the one about YKW and another YKW - well they did!! 

But I just got it in my inbox.  So that is how I know about the YKW post although when I clicked on it, I was told I did not know the right people to continue to view it!! 

Just sayin'  😛

You not in the know....who knew it!

renata101
Community Member

I was interested to learn a few years ago that satire is protected under the US First Amendment because it's considered a form of political speech. This is a good example of the type of stuff that gets covered (athough I think their lawyers must end up working overtime). I'm not sure how it works in this case because this is an actual BBC broadcast (maybe some angels stepped in to cover the international costs):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LiWlvBro9eI

Anonymous-User
Not applicable

My town just settled out of court for trademark violations over the name of a shopping district in the center of town - seems to be a trend of cities suing cities. 

Desperate times? $$$

I think I've discovered the source of Upwork's new connects policy...

"And cast ye the unprofitable servant into outer darkness: there shall be weeping and gnashing of teeth."

Matthew 25:30

@ richard

Lol 😄

Latest Articles
Learning Paths