cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Scams to be aware of

SueAnn S Member Since: Nov 7, 2014
1 of 8

I seem be getting alot of  "We'll send you a check to deposit ..."   I'm just wondering how many of these requests are actually scams?  What types of scams do I need to be leary of using oDesk?  Being new to this gig I just want to make sure I'm fully aware of what to expect and how to handle certain situations.

Any experiences or advise will be greatly appreciated.

SueAnn S

Community Guru
Tony H Member Since: Nov 10, 2011
2 of 8

Any work that breaks the TOS for any website(s) it may involve. Biggest one probably being CAPCHA jobs. Companies hire people to manually enter CAPCHA codes, which then is sold to internet marketers who run software that uses the saved codes to bypass spam filters. Some SEO programs also use this method to spam links and gather other information from websites.

Never give free 'sample' work. If a client wants to see if your skills or style are a match for their business, they can pay for it. I have hired blog writers before, and have 'tested' 6-10 each time before hiring one or two of them. I pay for that work though, and the terms and expectations are clearly defined before the contract starts. If anyone ever asks you to submit a free sample, then run away fast.

Anyone asking to transfer money outside of the odesk system. This is against the oDesk TOS, and if the client isn;t willing to abide by the rules here, what makes you think  they wouldn't do something questionable to you at some point?

If they want to send you tools for your work with them, you shouldn never need to pay. I have sent money to contractors before for things like headsets and software. I've done this through the oDesk system.

Those are a couple very common complaints you'll see on the forums. Here's my 2 cents to help reduce risk when you hire your next client.

Look for the higher payout clients. Those who have spent more than $50k and who's average hourly rate is something kinda close to what you would ask from them.

Read the reviews freelancers gave them & read the reviews they give in return.

Check their hire rate. What percentage of jobs posted end in a hire?

Look for long term contracts in their history.

Basically, try to get a feel of how professional they are. Talk to them on the phone b

efore taking on their job.

Clients who have established businesses, for the most part, don't have time to waste saving a few pennies by asking for free smaples or wasting their own time looking to hire a dollar an hour cheaper. many clients here re new and/or do not have much money. Try to avoid those ones. Personally I like the new ones, but my service offering is different than most. Their are exceptions to every rule.

If they have a website listed in their profile, check it over. Do they have a phone number and office address posted? Is their internet brand professional? DO they look like they are stable and make enough money to treat you properly?

At the end of the day... if you don't feel right about something, there's probably a good reason for it.

There's also a posting here somewhere called 'Job warning signs' you may find helpful.

Cheers

Community Guru
Suzanne N Member Since: Aug 15, 2012
3 of 8

Here is the link for the "Job Warning Signs"

http://community.odesk.com/t5/Freelancers/Job-warning-signs/m-p/21467/highlight/true#M7117

Although it looks like it was one of those that got transferred over and jumbled. But it still is definately a good read.

4 of 8

I have gathered as much documentation I can from the "company" involved in attempting to scam me and I am turning it all over to the local District Attorney today.  I have their actual names and they are using at least three companies to commit fraud.  I will be notifying the companies as well.

Ruthie W Member Since: Nov 13, 2014
5 of 8

Please beware of the current scam going on.  The person doing the interview is**edited for Community Guidelines**, she will ask you to contact her through yahoo messenger.  She will ask questions and then tell you they are going to provide a check for you to purchase the necessary equipment.  The check will come in the mail, they want you to deposit it in your account, then send them a copy of the deposit slip and then you can start your training.  I lead her on and when the check came called the bank **edited for Community Guidelines**).  The check was from **edited for Community Guidelines**,  with one mans name on the envelope and the cashier's check signed by another.  Please do not let these people use you.  I knew it was a scam from the beginning and wanted to see how far they would go.  When I tried to contact **edited for Community Guidelines** by Yahoo Messanger and told her what had happened.  She did not reply and even when she is online will not reply.  There are 38 applications for this lady and she has already interviewed 8.  Please stop her before she takes someone else's money.

6 of 8

I turned all of the information - the printouts from oDesk, the check itself, the conversations in messenger, the fedex envelope itself to my local United States Attorney - who happens to be a good friend of mine.

7 of 8

Holy crap, she's sending me another check!!! Even AFTER I advised her that I was turning all of the emails and other documentation to the cyper police.

This is insanity!

Community Guru
Joseph C Member Since: Nov 5, 2011
8 of 8

Why shouldn't she send you one?

It's a sure bet she is not in the USA.

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS