🐈
» Forums » Coffee Break » Re: Seeking Alpha - Information for Upwork Sh...
Page options
wlyonsatl
Community Member

Seeking Alpha - Information for Upwork Shareholders

If you are an Upwork shareholder, or think you might want to be, this will be an interesting article for you:

https://seekingalpha.com/article/4282169-long-term-buy-hold-upwork

12 REPLIES 12
wendy_writes
Community Member

All comments in the article are well known facts for the platfom online industy at large.

What is NOT addressed in the article: the people equation    ...

1. Theoretically everything syncs; in reality theory alone is not adequate

2. The site continues to be technically wobbly (less so than in the past) and remains lacking in ease of use (UX). This is particularly bad in light of the fact that a hefty % of jobs that are tech related.

3. All the ad budgets in the world will not ensure buyer satisfaction. Buyer satisfaction is fully contingent on the selected FL doing a superb job

This is only possible if U. retains the top-notch proven FL professionals.... and brings new ones on board.  Properly.

a) vet applicants prior to allowing them to create a profile

b) clean house of inactive and undepefomming FLers

Wendy C wrote:

All comments in the article are well known facts for the platfom online industy at large.

What is NOT addressed in the article: the people equation    ...

1. Theoretically everything syncs; in reality theory alone is not adequate

2. The site continues to be technically wobbly (less so than in the past) and remains lacking in ease of use (UX). This is particularly bad in light of the fact that a hefty % of jobs that are tech related.

3. All the ad budgets in the world will not ensure buyer satisfaction. Buyer satisfaction is fully contingent on the selected FL doing a superb job

This is only possible if U. retains the top-notch proven FL professionals.... and brings new ones on board.  Properly.

a) vet applicants prior to allowing them to create a profile

b) clean house of inactive and undepefomming FLers

Another kudo for this post.

m_sharman
Community Member

Will L wrote:

If you are an Upwork shareholder, or think you might want to be, this will be an interesting article for you:

https://seekingalpha.com/article/4282169-long-term-buy-hold-upwork

Thank you for sharing. While it's clear Upwork has some work to do on more effective screening of freelancers, this article gives me hope that this is part of the plan (including verification, paying for connects, etc). It sounds like they want to pivot to more enterprise level support and consider their competition companies like Cognizant vs. other online freelance platforms. 

I certainly hope they are reading these forums and speaking with successful freelancers as they make plans for the future.

Q2 is out: Upwork Reports Second Quarter 2019 Financial Results

Everyone should read this:

Q2 2019 Financial and Business Highlights

And especially this part:

Capture d’écran 2019-08-08 à 13.06.23.jpg

Everyone should make their own conclusions about their future on the platform. (Spoiler: Gig Work may not be here to stay.)

-----------
"Where darkness shines like dazzling light"   —William Ashbless

@ Rene, thanks for posting this.  I'm continuing to think a mutual past effort should be resurrected ...

Wendy C wrote:

@ Rene, thanks for posting this.  I'm continuing to think a mutual past effort should be resurrected ...

Maybe now it's the time, indeed. On Upwork since they seem to be steering this way. Let see how ll of this evolves...

-----------
"Where darkness shines like dazzling light"   —William Ashbless

Yep.  Upwork only.  More manageable and more cost effective.

What's not accounted for is the degree of overlap between "Larger Engagements" and "Gig Work". That is, how many FLs have UW portfolios consisting of a mix of <$1k and >$1k contracts? How many FLs consistently leverage small contracts into long-term relationships?

I am all in favor of bringing more consistent and reliable professionalism to the FL pool here. But I think they are looking at the wrong metric, i.e. below/above $1k contract value. When they say that client spend in the "larger engagements" category has expanded largely unaided, I want to jump up and say, "Of course it has, and it's directly and exclusively due to the professionalism and reliability of the FLs supporting the low end of that category and feeding it from the 'gig work' category!!!"

allergywriter
Community Member

Yay!

That was my investment strategy anyway when I bought my shares. I just waited a bit for the price to drop after the initial offering.

As much as we gripe, Upwork in some form is here to stay.

I recently edited a book that included a section on outsourcing and the writer mentioned Upwork by name.

I look forward to the total gig economy.

Human labor as a commodity. Like oil or soy beans.

Screen Shot 2019-08-08 at 8.39.25 AM.png

lysis10
Community Member

I for one welcome our new overlords. 

Just let me know how much *Edited for Community Guidelines* I need to *Edited for Community Guidelines* to get the nicest shack in this place. I've got no shame, Upwork. Just let me know.

Lol wow. I really must be a kind hearted person because I can't even imagine what words are supposed to go in the edited areas of your post. 

Latest Articles
Learning Paths