🐈
» Forums » Coffee Break » Re: Set to private
Page options
colettelewis
Community Member

Set to private

I wonder if a mod would be kind enough to explain exactly what the  "set to private" graphic means. I'm talking about the one that shows the barrier in front of a tunnel with no light at the end of it. 

I know this is what one sees if a freelancer has not earned anything in 30 days. However, this is reversible;the freelancer can start to earn again, can ask CS to reinstate their profile, or pay for plus membership. 

But does one also see this graphic when a freelancer has been permanently suspended? 

5 REPLIES 5
petra_r
Community Member

@Nichola L wrote:

But does one also see this graphic when a freelancer has been permanently suspended? 

No, this is what you see for a suspended (temporary or permanent) freelancer account

freelancer suspended.jpg

This is what you see on a client account (not suspended or suspended) when clicking through from the forum

client account.jpg

set private

set private.jpg

Petra,

Thank you. I'm aware of this, which is why I asked a mod for clarification. Two so-called freelancers that I know for certain are fraudulent and who have been reported as such (with proof), have had their profiles set to private, as opposed to "no longer available".  Hence my question. 

There seem to be many loopholes as to who gets axed and who doesn't. Jobs that have been reported as fraudulent, for example, and the "action taken" has been to set the job to private. I have been given assurances that this means "delisted". Well, I don't actually believe this, any more than I believe a fraudulent freelancer has been suspended when I see the "set to private" graphic.  

kochubei_valeria
Community Member

Hi Nichola,

I won't be able to share details about our internal processes. However, when it's confirmed that a freelancer or a client has violated Upwork ToS, their account is suspended. Depending on how that suspension was placed, it may show as no longer available or as private. As I've mentioned before, in the future we are planning to address the notifications that are publicly visible when the profile URL is accessed so that they do not cause any confusion. Meanwhile, feel free to send me a PM with reported profiles (or jobs) and I'll be happy to check them to make sure proper actions were taken.

~ Valeria
Upwork

Thanks Valeris,

But "planning in the future" is not quite the same as "doing". What does "future" actually mean? I'm sorry to belabour this point, but in fact, it really is important. Many of us freelancers spend a lot of time reporting dodgy clients or freelancers when we come across them (in fact, this is in the ToS) but what is the point of doing this when these reports are ignored or sort of shoved aside?

One very active translation scam is occasionally being delisted, but more often than not, is still active showing  as a (non-paying) client who is now allowed to go on recruiting (no doubt, off site)  on private invitations. I know you have explained, but you see, when I see this, I just don't believe you. So "future planning," should surely be a little more imminent?

This is actually a serious request, not just a moan.

My theory is that when they have suspicions, they make the profile private and investigate and then, when the investigation is conclusive, they close the account. It is only when the violation is obvious that they kill the account without asking questions. Hence these different states that we see.

-----------
"Where darkness shines like dazzling light"   —William Ashbless
Latest Articles
Learning Paths