cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Shout out to Bill H.

Community Guru
Sergio S Member Since: Dec 19, 2017
11 of 26

Thanks for the update, Bill. Good vibes to you.

Community Guru
Kathy T Member Since: Jul 17, 2015
12 of 26

Glad to  hear that you are doing fairly well, at least better then when you were a few weeks ago. Stay involved in your work. It's easy to get discouraged and to feel sorry for yourself. Work might keep you motivated and make you feel that you still have a purpose. Being confined to a walker/wheelchair is not the end of things. They are just additional pieces of equipment to help you. 

As we don't forget about you, don't you forget about us. Come back on here from time to time and let us know how you're doing, (good or bad) Because we all care.

Community Guru
Bill H Member Since: Aug 18, 2017
13 of 26

Kathy,

Two quiescent long-term clients contacted me recently about doing some work for them. One isn't ready, the other trusts me after fifteen years and doesn't want to work with the woman I've passed other clients to - or anybody else.

The one who wants only me was contacted by an old friend and asked if he would buy his business. Old friend had a stroke four months ago. I agreed to act as intermediary. Old friend lives in a universe where magic is practiced. He believes some people have magic secrets and just won't use them to the benefit of others. He knows my client can conjure up enough money to give him top dollar for 85% of his business, all cash up font, the money to find, hire and train a professional sales force, fix the management problems in the company that have resulted in employees stealing clients (not to mention stealing company money), and pay friend $80K/year for "advice to senior management," and show results quickly.

I spent an hour putting together the plan and an hour talking to friend. Unfortunately, I don't believe in the kind of magic that is practiced in this fellow's world. I'm telling him tomorrow to hire somebody to do the fixing, my client isn't a good fit.

The other fellow knows my physical limitations and is amenable to bringing in the woman I recommend when he's ready.

Community Guru
Wendy C Member Since: Aug 24, 2015
14 of 26

Bill, you rank right up there with some of the 'most honorable' people I've ever had the joy of knowing.  Your clients have been and are blessed to have you on their side.

Avery O Moderator Member Since: Nov 23, 2015
15 of 26

Hey Bill, 

I'm so glad to see you post in the Community again! I hope I see you more often in other threads, and boards. Robot Happy

-Avery
Untitled
Community Guru
16 of 26

Thanks, Avery.

In June the neurosurgeon took out the shunt, which had become infected. Third brain surgery scheduled for September 24 to put a replacement shunt on the left side. The last surgery left me confined to wheelchair or walker, but I'm hoping it gets better after the next one.

I'm glad to see that UW is testing out ways to rationalize freelancer activity, with the charge for connects. This will eventually reduce the tsunami of applications for jobs. Charging clients to post jobs isn't going to help, it will just drive away the only people bringing money to the table. Allowing clients to invite eight or ten to a job is probably better than two; two, though, is better than 50. Outstanding clients don't need to use shotguns, sniper rifles do just fine.

Community Guru
Kelly B Member Since: Jan 1, 2016
17 of 26

I don't know you but I certainly wish you well in September. You have a great attitude.

Community Guru
18 of 26

Third brain surgery of the year to install a replacement shunt. Works well. I've started the process of reinventing myself as a writer of 60s/70s nostalgia. Will have a book come out early next year that I've been working on for several years. I hired somebody to make me smart on social media. I've hired a new cover artist to increase visual appeal; I bought a website name for the book title.

Everything has improved, but I'm not going back to consulting work. I have no knowledge of how long the improvement will last.

Community Guru
Wendy C Member Since: Aug 24, 2015
19 of 26

Bill,  I was thinking about you early this morning; were your ears burning?  Soooooo very glad to read the 3rd surgery went well and my favorite curmudgeony (my word and better than curmudgeonous) author is back at it!  You've  become the ultimate Retro weaver of tales.  Smiley Wink

Writing your books is what you love - and the plus is you only have to keep track of characters and plots.  No need to chase people, other than in your imagination - and that eliminates some stress.

Highlighted
Community Guru
20 of 26

Getting over a mild but lingering case of pneumonia. My primary care physician has arranged for weekly checkins by a home health nurse; Think hospice lite. I'm going to talk to my neurologist in about a month to ask him to run differentials for Parkinson's. Symptoms are nearly identical to Normal Pressure Hydrocephalus, but the causes are very different. I assume I can have both simultaneously, not a pretty sight.

Balance is getting better, but the stamina continues sliding. I have one symptom of Parkinson's that doesn't overlap with NPH (dragging a foot) and one that overlaps infrequently (tremors focused on one side of the body), On the plus side I get to binge-watch ensemble dramas on television. When they're good (Hill Street Blues, St. Elsewhere, Law & Order) there's little better. When they're really bad (CSI Miami, NCIS Los Angeles) they're slapstick parodies. The CSIs in Miami have violated 113 of our 27 Constitutional Amendments, and the NCIS Agents in Los Angeles have taken jurisdiction over everything except overdue library books.

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS