Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Shout out to Bill H.

Community Guru
Maria T Member Since: Nov 12, 2015
21 of 26

Hi Bill,
I hope everything goes well and only something "like" that disease.
Follow with the same force as until now.
And tell us.
A big hug!

Community Guru
Bill H Member Since: Aug 18, 2017
22 of 26

Marla, virtual hugs are great.

I'm mostly walking without a walker, not using wheelchair much. Still unsure of the extent of loss of cognitive functions, but I seem to think clearer than the average talking head on U.S. news programs. That's why I watch Spanish-language news programs.

Thoughts on getting old: It's inevitable, and the body adjusts. Your sleep needs change, your vision may get better or worse, you suddenly know the names of more diseases than a second year medical student. Your world shrinks, and that's probably OK. I watched it happen with both of my parents, and I think it's a matter of emotional energy. Only so much to go around.

Friends, coworkers, family members start dying in large numbers. A fraternity brother/roommate died thirty years ago from cancer, a high school friend at the same time from heart disease. Another high school friend from lung cancer, a close cousin from diabetes, another close cousin (born-again schizophrenic, much too long a story for the coffee break) from something, a bunch of military buddies from traffic accidents and suicides, my sister's husband who was my greatest friend from liver cancer, the list goes on.

Four of us were best friends in high school; John died in 1988, Mike died in 2008. Ralph and I haven't corresponded in fifty years. A group of fraternity brothers has stayed in contact for nearly half a century, and all of us have been married the entire time. One teacher, one marketer for a vintner's association, a,real estate agent, an assistive device artisan, an LCSW, a whatever I am, one pastor

Community Guru
23 of 26

Hi Bill,
Good to hear from you, and see that you are still so talkative Smiley Happy
I'm glad your mobility is maintained, but don't risk too much.
Your cognitive functions don't seem too affected, but if you keep watching the news, this won't last long. Especially if you see news from Spain, I warn you.

Keep telling us your progress (or setbacks) from time to time.

And don't think too much about those who left. I have also left many people on the road, it is not a matter of age, it is better to think that we are lucky.

Today, a virtual kiss!

Community Guru
Wendy C Member Since: Aug 24, 2015
24 of 26

Maria, your last lines just encapsulated why I have a love affair with Spain and all things and people Spanish. 

And don't think too much about those who left. I have also left many people on the road, it is not a matter of age, it is better to think that we are lucky.

Beautifully said.  

True the govt is a mess at the  moment .... too much like the mess in the US ... but we'll all win this seemingly endless battle.  And hopefully learn from it.

Bill, you will always be our favorite curmudgeon in the best of all senses.  How are the books coming?

Community Guru
25 of 26

Thanks Wendy, ¡Eres un encanto!
And the government? How USA? Ha!, there aren't 18 political parties Smiley LOL

And Bill ... BOOKS? in prural?
Luckily you are sick! If not, what would you write? An encyclopedia?

Community Guru
Bill H Member Since: Aug 18, 2017
26 of 26

Cara Marla,

Mi esposa virtual tiene problemas con besos virtuales. No la gustan.

Books: I finished one on starting a businesss just before this last bout of fighting illnesses hit. I'm focused on getting a 95,000 word nostalgia novel finished about a 1969-1970 garage band. As a result the coming of age novel about four college seniors going on Spring Break is left at 60% completion, the alredy witten volumes four to nine of an epic, Life of Kyle, maybe 500 pages total describing a young man's two-decade search for love, aren't ready for editing, a mystery, Women of New England, is stuck at about 10% completion, a new procedural/comedy series about the Frankienbuzz Detective Agency is stuck at 20%, and two sequels are just pains in my neck reminding me to do something with them. A reader-requested Volume Four of a trilogy needs a complete rewrite, it took off in a direction I don't like. The sports comedy, The Head Game, is half-written because the first version was taken over by two characters who highjacked it and told a story about dealing with the aftermath of severe trauma.

I don't watch Spanish television, I watch Spanish-language news from Latin America, which is easier to understand than US news which has abandoned journalism for hate-filled division of the US along tribal lines. I watch a tad of BBC, which will cover events in Spain. My dream is to fly to Gran Canaria, put up a tent as living quarters, buy a pub, and enjoy whatever happens.

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS