🐈
» Forums » Coffee Break » So about the "Recent Threads / Unanswered Pos...
Page options
michael_skaggs
Community Member

So about the "Recent Threads / Unanswered Posts" list...

To put it bluntly, the way the information is laid out is...ridiculous.

Let's start with an example (just grabbing a random recent one I replied to):

post 1.png

The information layout is a mess. Why would (the proverbial) you make someone look at the bottom of the entry to see who actually made the original post, yet keep the section info at the top? Why would you have the profile picture of whoever replied last as the image, instead of whoever started the topic? This makes it look really strange when members or staff reply to several topics at once, because you see the same image all the way down the list.

Why not present the information in a much more logical format, like this?

post 2.png

This is much, much easier to parse when glancing over it. 

• The title is immediately followed by the actual author (rather than who posted last), the section it was posted in, and how many replies there are.
  • The excerpt is in italics to emphasize the fact that it's a quote.
  • The bottom tells you who the last person was to post (although it should probably say "Latest Reply" instead of "Latest Post", as "Post" would generally refer to the entire topic), and when the last reply was made.
  • Finally, the image used is the profile picture of the topic's original author, rather than whoever made the last reply.

This has been bugging me for weeks, and I can't be the only one. I have no idea if the way it is currently is a stock configuration, or if it was an intentional choice, but it makes absolutely no sense whatsoever. Hopefully a staff member will see this and show it to whoever is in charge of the forum software.

6 REPLIES 6
kat303
Community Member

If I'm not mistaken. I think I remember that it USED to be presented this way. Maybe not exactly but the OP picture would be by their post, Then a year or more ago it was changed to this format/layout. 

Kathy, you are correct!  There was lots of flak when it changed but it didn't change back.

lysis10
Community Member

yeah Kathy is correct and I hate the new layout too but they said something about people asking for it this way so now we have to deal with what a few chromosomally overloaded smooth brained freelancers thought was a good idea. The internet just isn't sending their best.

gilbert-phyllis
Community Member

I hate the current format every bit as much today as I did the day they changed it. I cannot recall every hearing anybody ever say they prefer it this way.

Phyllis G wrote:

I hate the current format every bit as much today as I did the day they changed it. I cannot recall every hearing anybody ever say they prefer it this way.

uh oh. Maybe it was the mods that wanted it and not requests from freelancers. If so, pleeeeeeeeeeeeeease mods I bend the knee. Don't hurt me Lena I swear I mean nothing by my post. I swear my fealty to the darth overloards of the great Upwork. 

I kinda imagine Lena as the evil beast from Krull that sends her minions to zap you with their pitchfork lasers. She probably hasn't even seen Krull, and this is the biggest tragedy.

This was just one of the "improvements" that were inflicted on the forum about a year ago. 

I think the best you can hope for with Upwork is "two steps forward, one step back".

Latest Articles
Learning Paths