🐈
» Forums » Coffee Break » Re: Songs you hate
Page options
yitwail
Community Member

Songs you hate

Why not? I'm sure you have a few. If you're cruel, you can even share a youtube link, but I'm too nice for that.

So, holidays being near, I'll share two selections to kick this off.

You LIght Up My Life -- Debby Boone

The Chipmunk Song (Christmas Don't Be Late) Cat Very Happy

Community Member

Mariah Carey - All I Want for Christmas Is You
Los Del Río – Macarena

The Black Eyed Peas – My Humps

I Will Always Love You

Jingle Bells. 

I'm dreaming of a white Christmas

All I want for Christmas is you (I agree Stefan)

In fact - just about any Santa/Rudolph 'Christmas' song.

I'm sure I have others - but I'm staying seasonal.   

Nichola L wrote:

In fact - just about any Santa/Rudolph 'Christmas' song.

I'm sure I have others - but I'm staying seasonal.   

In that case, we must mention Grandma Got Run Over By A Reindeer Cat Sad

Looks like this thread will need to be merged with another new thread in this section: "Upwork is Scrooge"

Because ya'll are hating on beloved Christmas songs.

Screen Shot 2020-12-22 at 2.27.00 PM.png

This one is straight from the New Testament.

Preston H wrote:

Looks like this thread will need to be merged with another new thread in this section: "Upwork is Scrooge"

Because ya'll are hating on beloved Christmas songs.

Screen Shot 2020-12-22 at 2.27.00 PM.png

This one is straight from the New Testament.

They have nothing to do with Christmas - everything to do with commercial hype.  

mtngigi
Community Member

John K wrote:

Why not? I'm sure you have a few. If you're cruel, you can even share a youtube link, but I'm too nice for that.

So, holidays being near, I'll share two selections to kick this off.

You LIght Up My Life -- Debby Boone

The Chipmunk Song (Christmas Don't Be Late) Cat Very Happy

Thanks John, for putting "You LIght Up My Life" in my head, where I'm sure it will remain for at least a few days. I was going to punish you with a video of Captain & Tennile singing "Muskrat Love", but decided to spare you.

Umbrella - Rihanna

martina_plaschka
Community Member

The one where the big ship sinks, but her heart will go on, or something like that, and we are still discussing that there was room on the door for two.

Martina P wrote:

The one where the big ship sinks, but her heart will go on, or something like that, and we are still discussing that there was room on the door for two.

I think I know the one you mean. 

We need some disco round here, so a song AND an instrumental Cat Tongue

Shake Your Booty
Popcorn

John K wrote:

Martina P wrote:

I think I know the one you mean. 

We need some disco round here, so a song AND an instrumental Cat Tongue

Shake Your Booty
Popcorn

Oh no, POPCORN! I had forgotten that horror. Not too happy to be reminded about it, John.

Martina P wrote:

Due to geolocation issues, I'm unable to share my feelings about that song publicly, but I get the one you're going for. 

@John
Can I add "just about anything by Justin Beiber" to the mix? 

Renata S wrote:

Martina P wrote:

Due to geolocation issues, I'm unable to share my feelings about that song publicly, but I get the one you're going for. 

@John
Can I add "just about anything by Justin Beiber" to the mix? 

Are you Canadian? Are you required by law to like that song, or just generally be a nice person? I guess it's a yes at least for my second question....

astepanov83
Community Member

Despacito

I wish I could erase my memory

😠

lysis10
Community Member

ooooh I neeeed to contribute here. I quit alcohol and fell off the wagon when my friends threw me a birthday party last night. 😴😴 Now I have a hangover. Pooyuck.

Here is one I can think of that started off catchy and then I wanted to stab people when they turned it on because I couldn't get it out of my head.

Because I am the grandmother of a 6 year old girl - anything from the Disney movies about the Decendants.  Also Baby Shark.

I'm shocked to hear Barbie Girl mentioned. What lack of taste, Jennifer!

However, Baby Shark is one I can't stand. Except for this terrifying version:

Since Disney was mentioned, how can I not include one everyone knows?
It’s a Small World Woman Happy Man Happy

John K wrote:
Since Disney was mentioned, how can I not include one everyone knows?
It’s a Small World

Excellent pick! 

Some examples of what I hate, in no particular order-

All forms of jazz

All forms of gospel

All forms of Hip-Hop, R & B, Soul, and Rap

All forms of country music

Most of everything made after about 1985

All forms of commercial "Christmas"  music 

All music that is played loudly, even the little bit I do like 

Wow, Reinier...

Tough crowd.

re: "Most of everything made after about 1985"

I would change that to 1989.

Reinier B wrote:

All forms of jazz

All forms of gospel

@Reinier What does that leave? Like what actually made it onto your listening shortlist? I was going to ask about Fairy of New York as a non-commercial Christmas possibility, but it was released about three years too late. 

And I notice you didn't mention classical music in the hate list. Does the "released after 1985" criteria apply to that as well? I guess most classical melodies probably qualify as "cover tunes."

If I am being completely objective, it would be fair to say that all of the music I hate is pretty lousy.

Renata S wrote:

Reinier B wrote:

All forms of jazz

All forms of gospel

@Reinier What does that leave? Like what actually made it onto your listening shortlist? I was going to ask about Fairy of New York as a non-commercial Christmas possibility, but it was released about three years too late. 

And I notice you didn't mention classical music in the hate list. Does the "released after 1985" criteria apply to that as well? I guess most classical melodies probably qualify as "cover tunes."

I have a long short-list- in fact, too long to reproduce here. However, my list does not include complete genres, nor all the work from any particular band or composer. I cherry-pick what I like, but for the most part, music has to do something positive for me, like, for instance, relaxing me when I am in the middle of a bout of insomnia.

In short, if I can't use the lyrics or instruments to sort of see what the composer was thinking, seeing, or feeling when the piece was conceived, I hate the music. As for classical music; I find that most of it is nothing but a senseless/pointless plonking on piano keys, or banging on drums, or hurting violins, but having said that, there are some pieces I do like, such as the Nessun Dorma, especially when I can't sleep. 

I have come to hate this song lately as it is been playing around in my head for the last two weeks...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wCQfkEkePx8

...........you welcome.

psych101
Community Member

Mi Pan...whatever 

Drives me crazy

Reinier does seem to have a severe case of allergy to music. Let's guess what his likes are. Brassband, when played softly, perhaps?

Most of you seem to hate repetitve tunes, that stick to your brain and annoy you to tears. In that case, I will suggest Jerusalema.

Lest anyone think I’m a snob, there are classical tunes I hate. Now, classical is mostly instrumental so perhaps not strictly songs, but here’s a rather popular piece I dislike (and it’s repetitive as heck):
Canon in D — Pachelbel

John K wrote:
Lest anyone think I’m a snob, there are classical tunes I hate. Now, classical is mostly instrumental so perhaps not strictly songs, but here’s a rather popular piece I dislike (and it’s repetitive as heck):
Canon in D — Pachelbel

Incredible, John, you dont like that masterpice! If I'm not mistaken, many great composers love that Canon in D and have used it as a base for something nearly as beautiful (and annoying).

Luce N wrote:

John K wrote:
Canon in D — Pachelbel

Incredible, John, you dont like that masterpice! If I'm not mistaken, many great composers love that Canon in D and have used it as a base for something nearly as beautiful (and annoying).

Speaking of composers, this will date me I'm afraid but I once saw pianist George Winston play the Canon, only he credited the composition to Bach. JSB must have turned over in his grave. I did not buy a ticket to the George Winston concert, I was invited by a friend. Cat LOLcanon.jpg

I just love that "listening pleasure" bit. Must use it.

Well, John, George Winston played the Canon for your listening pleasure, not to show off his musical history knowledge.

Luce N wrote:

Reinier does seem to have a severe case of allergy to music. Let's guess what his likes are. Brassband, when played softly, perhaps?

Most of you seem to hate repetitve tunes, that stick to your brain and annoy you to tears. In that case, I will suggest Jerusalema.

Nope. I hate brass band music. It's too close to jazz for my taste. 

Latest Articles
Learning Paths